1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 17

What to do in your garden right now..!

Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any advice re trimming as I've no experience with plants...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Kevin Cowans

Hard pruning Shrubs in August?

Kevin, go for stainless steel tools ....at least for the spade, you will find it much easier to dig with. :)
    Kevin, go for stainless steel tools ....at least for the spade, you will find it much easier to dig with. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. enginestar

What can I grow in plant boxes?

To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to...
    To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to look elsewhere this time.This link might be of interest if you are considering buying a cherry...
    To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to look elsewhere this time.This link might be of...
    To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sandhun

What to do with ugly border at end of the garden

The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer and a climbing Hydrenagea however most of the fence is still visible. I've recently emptied this...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer and a climbing Hydrenagea however most of the...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer...
    IMG_6115.JPG IMG_6116.JPG DSC_4598.jpg P1060581.JPG P1060576.JPG P1060572.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Cbrook85
    Like x 5

My little project's! Fist timer!!

You should be very proud of yourself as all your plants look so healthy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fflur

72 mini plugs arrived today, I am feeling overwhelmed!

Well, sounds good value then Mervyn :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Outlander

Is this Box blight?

Thanks @WeeTamI did wonder about that too, a few plants have gone a bit pale in this heat, that's why I have kept the box in the shade. I did lose another box plant early on which was in full sun.
    Thanks @WeeTamI did wonder about that too, a few plants have gone a bit pale in this heat, that's why I have kept the box in the shade. I did lose another box plant early on which was in full sun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. MRMAC02

Rasberry Blackberry Plant Help Required

To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of...
    To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of raspberry. I hope somebody else can give you a good answer to this. Posting a picture might help others...
    To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of raspberry. I hope somebody else can give you a good answer...
    To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. jezzwhizz

Overgrown magnolia

I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close to them.The floors are cracking, flooding is regular and I wonder what I would do if in their...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close to them.The floors are cracking, flooding is...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ChrisGo

Eringuium Zabelli help please

You're welcome ChrisGo :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. cheryl felix

Why can't I grow anything?????

Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing them and wait. Unless you are a professional growing them for fruit to sell or feed your family it's...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing them and wait. Unless you are a professional...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Kevin Cowans

How to Kill or Remove Ivy Root

Any overspill from Epsom salts is diluted, and so feeds surrounding plants rather than damage them :snorky: - all those roots need is the 'overdose'
    Any overspill from Epsom salts is diluted, and so feeds surrounding plants rather than damage them :snorky: - all those roots need is the 'overdose'
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Newbiehere

Leylandii

When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the...
    When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the rain started, and then ignored them for a year or two. These trees will grow massive if you let them,...
    When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the rain started, and then ignored them for a year or...
    When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the...
    20180706_221057.jpg 20180706_221101.jpg DSC00016 (1).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. tangham

Help with Paniculata cuttings.

Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large amount of callus which prohibits rooting.Incitement for root production is initiated as soon as a stem...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large amount of callus which prohibits rooting.Incitement...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fflur

Plants arrived too early. Beds not ready yet!

I pot on such plants Fflur; I have a couple coming next week and that is exactly what I will do. As loofah said, keep well watered whatever you decide to do with them.:)It depends when you...
    I pot on such plants Fflur; I have a couple coming next week and that is exactly what I will do. As loofah said, keep well watered whatever you decide to do with them.:)It depends when you intend to plant the climbers but I would pot on and cut back. You would usually cut back climbers when...
    I pot on such plants Fflur; I have a couple coming next week and that is exactly what I will do. As loofah said, keep well watered whatever you decide to do with them.:)It depends when you intend to plant the climbers but I would pot on and cut...
    I pot on such plants Fflur; I have a couple coming next week and that is exactly what I will do. As loofah said, keep well watered whatever you decide to do with them.:)It depends when you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. talbius

Help with leaning Yucca

I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's...
    I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's something I've done with a windswept one in my garden. They take a year or two to recover provided you...
    I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's something I've done with a windswept one in my...
    I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kiss_The_Alderman

Novice Gardener - Unhappy Lavender

No over watering mate as they love heat :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Kevin Cowans

What plants to use to cover Drain Cover in border?

How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage...
    How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage all year round.You can grow other plants through it, we have Roses, Euonymous, Pieris, Alyssum...
    How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage all year round.You can grow other plants...
    How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage...
    2018-06-26 09.55.16.jpg 20180626_102821.jpg P1010731.JPG P1010730.JPG 23.JPG upload_2018-6-26_19-32-46.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. enginestar

Cardboard (to get rid of weed) + add woodchip on top?

B&Q sell bags of bark chippings especially for play areas etc. They also do them in different colours eg brown/orange/red/green.
    B&Q sell bags of bark chippings especially for play areas etc. They also do them in different colours eg brown/orange/red/green.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Carlqua

Are My Peas Flowering?

I use short canes and string....works well and cost nowt. Supporting peas is simply to enable us to easily pick the peas and there is not really a right or wrong method of doing this :)
    I use short canes and string....works well and cost nowt. Supporting peas is simply to enable us to easily pick the peas and there is not really a right or wrong method of doing this :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. enginestar

Need advice getting rid of weeds - how safe after adding weed killer?

i finally got round to applying weedkiller - that was 5 days ago. no sign of any of them dying off yet. many look as though they are starting to wilt. should i wait longer before pulling them...
    i finally got round to applying weedkiller - that was 5 days ago. no sign of any of them dying off yet. many look as though they are starting to wilt. should i wait longer before pulling them out?thanks
    i finally got round to applying weedkiller - that was 5 days ago. no sign of any of them dying off yet. many look as though they are starting to wilt. should i wait longer before pulling them out?thanks
    i finally got round to applying weedkiller - that was 5 days ago. no sign of any of them dying off yet. many look as though they are starting to wilt. should i wait longer before pulling them...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options