1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 17

What to do in your garden right now..!

Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any advice re trimming as I've no experience with plants...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Sally Parker

Very Quick Draining, But Poor Nutrient Dry Soil....How to Improve???

Dont forget to add compost, etc to the soil mix when you plant it Sally:) Its a plant you can keep small too if you want by pruning every year
    Dont forget to add compost, etc to the soil mix when you plant it Sally:) Its a plant you can keep small too if you want by pruning every year
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Outlander

Osteospermum

Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks...
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks for the advice though, will look for a better position before planting.
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks for the advice though, will look for a better...
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Kevin Cowans

How do I know what kind of soil I have?

Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and...
    Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and order from there.ThanksKevin
    Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and order from there.ThanksKevin
    Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. FlourishAnn

5 tips for begginers

longk your sister is the same as myself but I only cut certain plants back...I was mainly on about leaves in the autumn as they start early here :phew:
    longk your sister is the same as myself but I only cut certain plants back...I was mainly on about leaves in the autumn as they start early here :phew:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Peter Thompson

Kale getting too big for poly tunnel

I thought Kale was a winter vegetable.:scratch: Not that I've ever grown it.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Craig Chesworth

Grass seed

Seeds need good contact with the soil. The larger the seed the deeper it can be covered as a rule of thumb. Some seed and cover lightly, some put soil down, spread seed and then lightly rake them in.
    Seeds need good contact with the soil. The larger the seed the deeper it can be covered as a rule of thumb. Some seed and cover lightly, some put soil down, spread seed and then lightly rake them in.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Captain Autumn

Calling Radish Rescue...calling Radish Rescue.. come in please...

@Captain Autumn - More info here: Post pictures of your radishes here...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. All dead

Everything's sad?

You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit...
    You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit strong for young plants.
    You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit strong for young plants.
    You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Anne Knowles

Tap connector

No problem happy to help
    No problem happy to help
    No problem happy to help
    No problem happy to help
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Soiled

Wisteria

I used to have one at a previous house. It took a couple of years to get established, and then the trouble was keeping it under control!Wisteria mostly flowers on the horizontal branches, so you...
    I used to have one at a previous house. It took a couple of years to get established, and then the trouble was keeping it under control!Wisteria mostly flowers on the horizontal branches, so you want to encourage that. If you don't already have straining wires, get some in to help that. You...
    I used to have one at a previous house. It took a couple of years to get established, and then the trouble was keeping it under control!Wisteria mostly flowers on the horizontal branches, so you want to encourage that. If you don't already have...
    I used to have one at a previous house. It took a couple of years to get established, and then the trouble was keeping it under control!Wisteria mostly flowers on the horizontal branches, so you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Kevin Cowans

Six Shrubs in an 18' Border

HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately...
    HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately I have no one that can help me which is why I am going to have to get someone in to do the work for...
    HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately I have no one that can help me which is why I am...
    HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Charliehp1980

Help

Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no...
    Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no harm in trying to train it down by using garden twine to tie some of the overhanging ends to the...
    Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no harm in trying to train it down by using garden...
    Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. REMO

Digging into ground and finding slate

I`m wondering then if there`s a pathway of some kind under there... one that became very overgrown. I used some slate and freebie broken slabs to make a path last summer. Don`t forget to let us...
    I`m wondering then if there`s a pathway of some kind under there... one that became very overgrown. I used some slate and freebie broken slabs to make a path last summer. Don`t forget to let us know will you...:)
    I`m wondering then if there`s a pathway of some kind under there... one that became very overgrown. I used some slate and freebie broken slabs to make a path last summer. Don`t forget to let us know will you...:)
    I`m wondering then if there`s a pathway of some kind under there... one that became very overgrown. I used some slate and freebie broken slabs to make a path last summer. Don`t forget to let us...
    DSC00001 (4).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Kevin Cowans

Best time to Prune 'hydrangea petiolaris' in order to replace fence panel

Hello TettersThanks for the advice, much appreciated.Kevin
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kevin Cowans

How to rejuvinate a Mock Orange Shrub

HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later,...
    HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later, starting with these shrubs.ThanksKevin
    HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later, starting with these shrubs.ThanksKevin
    HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. gardener86

Aloe vera plant

Hi and Welcome to GC I use Cacti potting compost for mine, don't let it dry out completely, but have a read here as this is what my USA friend sent me a link to a while back.. Aloe Vera
    Hi and Welcome to GC I use Cacti potting compost for mine, don't let it dry out completely, but have a read here as this is what my USA friend sent me a link to a while back.. Aloe Vera
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. hmltnangel

Two Large Full Sun Beds.....what to plant?

So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited)...
    So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited) bloom period. Maybe a good hardy Fuchsia, a Jasmine and perennial Sweet Pea arch and bulbs/corms/tubers...
    So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited) bloom period. Maybe a good hardy Fuchsia, a Jasmine...
    So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Rhydian

Asparagus Surprise

Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in...
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in their needs. My bed is on its second year so still not tasted any as they need two years to settle in....
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in their needs. My bed is on its second year so still not...
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Sally Parker

Flashing Lights - Dianthus in Orange?

I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing...
    I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing lights'' is a deep pinky red.Having just read that back, it sounds a bit like a double dutch tongue...
    I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing lights'' is a deep pinky red.Having just read that...
    I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Sally Parker

Will they be ok???

Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options