1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 16

What to do in your garden right now..!

I'm new to this so all help and advice appreciated. How do I trim this? I really like it but it's taking over
    I'm new to this so all help and advice appreciated. How do I trim this? I really like it but it's taking over
    IMG_0599.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Oceangore

What's eating my amaryllis?!

I agree with @pete - wind damage and slugs (the clue there being the bulb damage). Amarylis leaves have fibres running through them that slugs can't get through hence the partial damage.
    I agree with @pete - wind damage and slugs (the clue there being the bulb damage). Amarylis leaves have fibres running through them that slugs can't get through hence the partial damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Elina

Leaving flower bulbs in ground

I got one Allium :)
    DSCI0002 (18).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Springreen

How do I prune this please?

Hard to get an ID but zooming in on leaves on 2nd pic is clearer and looks like privet. If it is, it may be worth letting it grow new foliage and if it's really tall and straggly, choppin some of...
    Hard to get an ID but zooming in on leaves on 2nd pic is clearer and looks like privet. If it is, it may be worth letting it grow new foliage and if it's really tall and straggly, choppin some of the top off the help it thicken up lower down.
    Hard to get an ID but zooming in on leaves on 2nd pic is clearer and looks like privet. If it is, it may be worth letting it grow new foliage and if it's really tall and straggly, choppin some of the top off the help it thicken up lower down.
    Hard to get an ID but zooming in on leaves on 2nd pic is clearer and looks like privet. If it is, it may be worth letting it grow new foliage and if it's really tall and straggly, choppin some of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Springreen

Are these lavender too old to keep?

Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat...
    Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat silver/green aromatic hedge. Five years old isn't too old if hard pruned annually......I kept a lavendar...
    Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat silver/green aromatic hedge. Five years old isn't too...
    Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Elina

Soil from old pots

Thanks guys!
    Thanks guys!
    Thanks guys!
    Thanks guys!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sandhun

How to create height and separation

:yikes: I bet you don't!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. taurusmmuk

Mildew & fungus control

Unfortunately I have no choice, so whatever happens I will learn from it. I usually go on holiday later in the year but again I have to go early this year so it will be part of the learning curve....
    Unfortunately I have no choice, so whatever happens I will learn from it. I usually go on holiday later in the year but again I have to go early this year so it will be part of the learning curve. Thanks for your help.
    Unfortunately I have no choice, so whatever happens I will learn from it. I usually go on holiday later in the year but again I have to go early this year so it will be part of the learning curve. Thanks for your help.
    Unfortunately I have no choice, so whatever happens I will learn from it. I usually go on holiday later in the year but again I have to go early this year so it will be part of the learning curve....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Elina

Orchid problem

May b I'm wrong but its looking good... the chopped leaves reminants looks to me as if grown a bit in size may be 5mm
    May b I'm wrong but its looking good... the chopped leaves reminants looks to me as if grown a bit in size may be 5mm
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Elina

Propogation tips

hydrangeas will take very readily and so will the Euonymus-like plants. Fern I have had no experience and the conifer I have no experience either. While you're at it, stick in some salvias.. It's...
    hydrangeas will take very readily and so will the Euonymus-like plants. Fern I have had no experience and the conifer I have no experience either. While you're at it, stick in some salvias.. It's easy for them to take as well. Or Fuchsias .. Or .. Hehe, I'm getting carried away. As long as you...
    hydrangeas will take very readily and so will the Euonymus-like plants. Fern I have had no experience and the conifer I have no experience either. While you're at it, stick in some salvias.. It's easy for them to take as well. Or Fuchsias .. Or...
    hydrangeas will take very readily and so will the Euonymus-like plants. Fern I have had no experience and the conifer I have no experience either. While you're at it, stick in some salvias.. It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Stanley2

Gardenia Klein's Hardy - how to look after and hopefully grow.

Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata,...
    Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata, phormium cookianum etc, until we had the winter of 2010 (I think) when it registered -15 in my very cold...
    Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata, phormium cookianum etc, until we had the winter of 2010...
    Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Irmemac

Rose Issuesprune,

Thank you. Tomorrow morning I will try to make amends to my poor roses! I think I have some blood, fish and bone in the shed.
    Thank you. Tomorrow morning I will try to make amends to my poor roses! I think I have some blood, fish and bone in the shed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Elina

How to make sure the potting soil is free of problems

I'd be inclined to completely replace it as you don't know how long it has been in there and may be exhausted.I sometimes make my own seed compost in small quantities by sterilizing soil from...
    I'd be inclined to completely replace it as you don't know how long it has been in there and may be exhausted.I sometimes make my own seed compost in small quantities by sterilizing soil from the garden in the microwave. I put it in a plastic back to stop it making a mess and cook it for a...
    I'd be inclined to completely replace it as you don't know how long it has been in there and may be exhausted.I sometimes make my own seed compost in small quantities by sterilizing soil from the garden in the microwave. I put it in a plastic...
    I'd be inclined to completely replace it as you don't know how long it has been in there and may be exhausted.I sometimes make my own seed compost in small quantities by sterilizing soil from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Elina

How to save tulips and blue bells bulbs

Tend to think both are best undisturbed, but I'd definitely never dry off bluebells, they are best left alone.
    Tend to think both are best undisturbed, but I'd definitely never dry off bluebells, they are best left alone.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Goku

Place To Buy In-depth Agricultural book?

I'd third the Hessayon books, they might be a bit dated but the info is brilliant. You can pick them up on ebay for around £2.Charles Dowding No Dig (although I do dig his info is great)For...
    I'd third the Hessayon books, they might be a bit dated but the info is brilliant. You can pick them up on ebay for around £2.Charles Dowding No Dig (although I do dig his info is great)For preserving, jams etc.. Abundance by Alice Fowlerand I think it was called The Secret Gardener by...
    I'd third the Hessayon books, they might be a bit dated but the info is brilliant. You can pick them up on ebay for around £2.Charles Dowding No Dig (although I do dig his info is great)For preserving, jams etc.. Abundance by Alice...
    I'd third the Hessayon books, they might be a bit dated but the info is brilliant. You can pick them up on ebay for around £2.Charles Dowding No Dig (although I do dig his info is great)For...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Andrewrew

Planting near a drain

So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the...
    So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the same side of the garden as the drain for some balance.
    So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the same side of the garden as the drain for some...
    So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Elina

What to plant in these baskets

I'd also go with verbena. It looks amazing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Stigofthe

Should I somehow lift the lower branches as they seem very low.

Do you know if it's a fruiting cherry or ornamental? Fruiting ones can be trained against a wall, that's all :). No label? Could be very vigorous so need plenty of space I would guess it's an...
    Do you know if it's a fruiting cherry or ornamental? Fruiting ones can be trained against a wall, that's all :). No label? Could be very vigorous so need plenty of space I would guess it's an ornamental ....in that case best to grow it as a free standing tree. . If you delay moving it the...
    Do you know if it's a fruiting cherry or ornamental? Fruiting ones can be trained against a wall, that's all :). No label? Could be very vigorous so need plenty of space I would guess it's an ornamental ....in that case best to grow it as a free...
    Do you know if it's a fruiting cherry or ornamental? Fruiting ones can be trained against a wall, that's all :). No label? Could be very vigorous so need plenty of space I would guess it's an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. BrandNewGardener

Quick question: pruning a Euonymus!

Have a go....pruning is nothing to be wary of esp with euonymous. Its fun too :dancy:
    Have a go....pruning is nothing to be wary of esp with euonymous. Its fun too :dancy:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. barryr

is this a weed

With the white petals and shape of leaves, have to agree with @martin-f's ID Oxalis acetosellaIt seems to not be regarded as problematic, unlike other Oxalis species (debilis and particularly...
    With the white petals and shape of leaves, have to agree with @martin-f's ID Oxalis acetosellaIt seems to not be regarded as problematic, unlike other Oxalis species (debilis and particularly that damn corniculata stuff :wallbanging:). Such a dainty, stunning little plant that's a devious minx, especially...
    With the white petals and shape of leaves, have to agree with @martin-f's ID Oxalis acetosellaIt seems to not be regarded as problematic, unlike other Oxalis species (debilis and particularly that damn corniculata stuff :wallbanging:). Such a dainty,...
    With the white petals and shape of leaves, have to agree with @martin-f's ID Oxalis acetosellaIt seems to not be regarded as problematic, unlike other Oxalis species (debilis and particularly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Stigofthe

Burnt lawn.

Depending on the strength, the residue fert may also burn any new/young growth of grass seedlings
    Depending on the strength, the residue fert may also burn any new/young growth of grass seedlings
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options