1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 15

What to do in your garden right now..!

I'm new to this so all help and advice appreciated. How do I trim this? I really like it but it's taking over
    I'm new to this so all help and advice appreciated. How do I trim this? I really like it but it's taking over
    IMG_0599.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. wren1

Bugs on lupins

Apparently Neem oil works on just about all bugs but I don't know whether it's EU legal. :scratch:
    Apparently Neem oil works on just about all bugs but I don't know whether it's EU legal. :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. N.N

How to get rid of weeds without spraying chemicals

I do use glyphosate when necessary however here is some info on the stuff. Mostly to get an initial clearance of weeds as these days I cant spend too long on my knees or I need a few days to...
    I do use glyphosate when necessary however here is some info on the stuff. Mostly to get an initial clearance of weeds as these days I cant spend too long on my knees or I need a few days to recover. :-(Glyphosate - the Debate | www.gardenorganic.org.uk
    I do use glyphosate when necessary however here is some info on the stuff. Mostly to get an initial clearance of weeds as these days I cant spend too long on my knees or I need a few days to recover. :-(Glyphosate - the Debate |...
    I do use glyphosate when necessary however here is some info on the stuff. Mostly to get an initial clearance of weeds as these days I cant spend too long on my knees or I need a few days to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. martin-f

Bamboo

Yes M :blue thumb:, I presume before they start spouting ? I will have to have a read up :dbgrtmb:,I still cant believe how quick its growing, this particular plant is 11ft, from what ive read it will produce shoots...
    Yes M :blue thumb:, I presume before they start spouting ? I will have to have a read up :dbgrtmb:,I still cant believe how quick its growing, this particular plant is 11ft, from what ive read it will produce shoots longer than the year before, between 2 and 6ft longer,So this one should be between 13/17ft this...
    Yes M :blue thumb:, I presume before they start spouting ? I will have to have a read up :dbgrtmb:,I still cant believe how quick its growing, this particular plant is 11ft, from what ive read it will produce shoots longer than the year before, between 2 and 6ft...
    Yes M :blue thumb:, I presume before they start spouting ? I will have to have a read up :dbgrtmb:,I still cant believe how quick its growing, this particular plant is 11ft, from what ive read it will produce shoots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Ella17

Hydrangea - advice please

My advice didn't include global variations :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Michael Noble

plant advice

Divert!Divert to Shiney Land!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kharri999

Trachycarpus brown leaves

Thanks for the reply I'll keep an eye on it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wren1

Identification help

Thanks guys!
    Thanks guys!
    Thanks guys!
    Thanks guys!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Andrew Y

Hiding gravel boards

Thanks all - someone else recommended a choisya - can anyone tell me if those would be suitable please?
    Thanks all - someone else recommended a choisya - can anyone tell me if those would be suitable please?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Shannon

Something is on my Chilli Plant!

White spots suggests spider mites but they`re not wormlike. Not easy to see them let alone squish them ;) Neem oil is good but it has to be applied more than once as it doesnt kill the insects...
    White spots suggests spider mites but they`re not wormlike. Not easy to see them let alone squish them ;) Neem oil is good but it has to be applied more than once as it doesnt kill the insects outright, it makes them forget to eat and breed. I use neem oil fog in a pop-up chamber of doom lol
    White spots suggests spider mites but they`re not wormlike. Not easy to see them let alone squish them ;) Neem oil is good but it has to be applied more than once as it doesnt kill the insects outright, it makes them forget to eat and breed. I use...
    White spots suggests spider mites but they`re not wormlike. Not easy to see them let alone squish them ;) Neem oil is good but it has to be applied more than once as it doesnt kill the insects...
    IMG_1364.JPG pop-up chamber of doom.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Ron Miel

Container growing

You can grow all manner of things in containers.Courgettes and butternut squashes inside buckets protected by car tyres.Spring onions, lettuce, radishes, beetroot, calendula and...
    You can grow all manner of things in containers.Courgettes and butternut squashes inside buckets protected by car tyres.Spring onions, lettuce, radishes, beetroot, calendula and tomatoes.The polypropylene sacks work well too.If you're up against constraints such as lack of...
    You can grow all manner of things in containers.Courgettes and butternut squashes inside buckets protected by car tyres.Spring onions, lettuce, radishes, beetroot, calendula and tomatoes.The polypropylene sacks work well...
    You can grow all manner of things in containers.Courgettes and butternut squashes inside buckets protected by car tyres.Spring onions, lettuce, radishes, beetroot, calendula and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wren1

Hollyhock disease

Hollyhocksare the quintiscensual Cottage garden flower we all think of first I think, but they are actually not easy to grow because of rust and scale.. I cannot grow them in my back garden...
    Hollyhocksare the quintiscensual Cottage garden flower we all think of first I think, but they are actually not easy to grow because of rust and scale.. I cannot grow them in my back garden anymore as they immediately succumb.. At the front they do grow..
    Hollyhocksare the quintiscensual Cottage garden flower we all think of first I think, but they are actually not easy to grow because of rust and scale.. I cannot grow them in my back garden anymore as they immediately succumb.. At the front they...
    Hollyhocksare the quintiscensual Cottage garden flower we all think of first I think, but they are actually not easy to grow because of rust and scale.. I cannot grow them in my back garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kroton

Recommendation for trailing wall covering plant?

The pots will definitely be shaded by the balcony, and I'll keep a close eye too. I use canna terra soil which seems to retain a lot of moisture judging by my shrub/trees, so hopefully should be...
    The pots will definitely be shaded by the balcony, and I'll keep a close eye too. I use canna terra soil which seems to retain a lot of moisture judging by my shrub/trees, so hopefully should be OK! The clematis will be here tomorrow, and I'm just about to order the periwinkle, and I've still...
    The pots will definitely be shaded by the balcony, and I'll keep a close eye too. I use canna terra soil which seems to retain a lot of moisture judging by my shrub/trees, so hopefully should be OK! The clematis will be here tomorrow, and I'm...
    The pots will definitely be shaded by the balcony, and I'll keep a close eye too. I use canna terra soil which seems to retain a lot of moisture judging by my shrub/trees, so hopefully should be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. William Francis

In A Country Garden?

Aww really love that ARMANDII... I am hoping to create my secret place to sit this year.. I have the bench but no where to put it yet.. :SUNsmile:
    Aww really love that ARMANDII... I am hoping to create my secret place to sit this year.. I have the bench but no where to put it yet.. :SUNsmile:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. jpjeffery

Paving under a tree

Gad, the more I think about this job, the harder it sounds (I'm really not a builder)!
    Gad, the more I think about this job, the harder it sounds (I'm really not a builder)!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. QuothTheRaven

New Gardener - Help required with Zantedeschia

Welcome to the forum.These need an acidic (ericaeous) compost different to all the other bulbs you mention.
    Welcome to the forum.These need an acidic (ericaeous) compost different to all the other bulbs you mention.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. wren1

Got some bare root perennials and don't know what to do with them!

Nerine's have a habit of doing that, I put mine straight in the ground & 2 out of 3 have made it so far. They like free draining soil so you are probably right. If you post pictures of the others...
    Nerine's have a habit of doing that, I put mine straight in the ground & 2 out of 3 have made it so far. They like free draining soil so you are probably right. If you post pictures of the others foliage we can probably help
    Nerine's have a habit of doing that, I put mine straight in the ground & 2 out of 3 have made it so far. They like free draining soil so you are probably right. If you post pictures of the others foliage we can probably help
    Nerine's have a habit of doing that, I put mine straight in the ground & 2 out of 3 have made it so far. They like free draining soil so you are probably right. If you post pictures of the others...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Proper_brew

Japanese Knotweed near veg patch

It depends on how much time, money and effort you are willing to put into the eradication.As you're renting, it's your landlords responsibility to get the matter resolved. It's in his/her's...
    It depends on how much time, money and effort you are willing to put into the eradication.As you're renting, it's your landlords responsibility to get the matter resolved. It's in his/her's interests to do so as the stigma surrounding Japweed can devalue the house price significantly. The very...
    It depends on how much time, money and effort you are willing to put into the eradication.As you're renting, it's your landlords responsibility to get the matter resolved. It's in his/her's interests to do so as the stigma surrounding Japweed...
    It depends on how much time, money and effort you are willing to put into the eradication.As you're renting, it's your landlords responsibility to get the matter resolved. It's in his/her's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Newbie-Will

Container / Pot - Privacy hedging screening advice needed

Sorry, I can only, also, give negative advice. :sad:First of all, I definitely wouldn't buy box. It's slow growing and temperamental - and relatively expensive.Secondly, if you are thinking of a...
    Sorry, I can only, also, give negative advice. :sad:First of all, I definitely wouldn't buy box. It's slow growing and temperamental - and relatively expensive.Secondly, if you are thinking of a two year period then plants in pots would be nowhere near big enough to be able to form a good...
    Sorry, I can only, also, give negative advice. :sad:First of all, I definitely wouldn't buy box. It's slow growing and temperamental - and relatively expensive.Secondly, if you are thinking of a two year period then plants in pots would be...
    Sorry, I can only, also, give negative advice. :sad:First of all, I definitely wouldn't buy box. It's slow growing and temperamental - and relatively expensive.Secondly, if you are thinking of a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Adams6

IS IT WORTH STARTING A VEG PATCH IN SHADE?

I do well with all of those and my plot is shaded by a girt ash tree most of the day :)
    I do well with all of those and my plot is shaded by a girt ash tree most of the day :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Josh

Restarting Flowerbed!

If they are English bluebells and you don't want them, you may be able give some away. If they turn out to be Spanish, getting rid would benefit the native bluebell population :blue thumb:The weedy stuff...
    If they are English bluebells and you don't want them, you may be able give some away. If they turn out to be Spanish, getting rid would benefit the native bluebell population :blue thumb:The weedy stuff looks like mostly Wood Avens/Herb Bennett (Geum urbanum) and a bit of Speedwell or possibly Ivy leaved...
    If they are English bluebells and you don't want them, you may be able give some away. If they turn out to be Spanish, getting rid would benefit the native bluebell population :blue thumb:The weedy stuff looks like mostly Wood Avens/Herb Bennett (Geum...
    If they are English bluebells and you don't want them, you may be able give some away. If they turn out to be Spanish, getting rid would benefit the native bluebell population :blue thumb:The weedy stuff...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options