1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 15

What to do in your garden right now..!

brilliant for me Steve, total novice and just joined the forum today, so this should keep me on my toes as there is so much to do in my new garden.
    brilliant for me Steve, total novice and just joined the forum today, so this should keep me on my toes as there is so much to do in my new garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Rexluna
    Redirect

Waterlogged in London - too much?

Hi, thanks for this. Yes, all isues I've been thinking about - * to a degree I can use rainwater, but mostly I'll have to rely on the pond plants I alreay have to clean the new water * the...
    Hi, thanks for this. Yes, all isues I've been thinking about - * to a degree I can use rainwater, but mostly I'll have to rely on the pond plants I alreay have to clean the new water * the fountain will draw water from the pond, and the system will be connected so that the water, in theory, will...
    Hi, thanks for this. Yes, all isues I've been thinking about - * to a degree I can use rainwater, but mostly I'll have to rely on the pond plants I alreay have to clean the new water * the fountain will draw water from the pond, and the system...
    Hi, thanks for this. Yes, all isues I've been thinking about - * to a degree I can use rainwater, but mostly I'll have to rely on the pond plants I alreay have to clean the new water * the...
    Replies:
    Views:
    N/A
  5. QuothTheRaven

New Gardener - Help required with Zantedeschia

I've grown Calla's before and they take a good while before they show themselves. Give them a few weeks. :)
    I've grown Calla's before and they take a good while before they show themselves. Give them a few weeks. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Calibra101

Very alkaline soil.

Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden...
    Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden suffered dreadfully from it but I don't know if it affects privet or what the effects would be.I...
    Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden suffered dreadfully from it but I don't know if it...
    Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Jacko1967

Rescuing a fig tree

Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to...
    Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to bear much fruit for several years, so go easy on it until it's well-established, where you decide to...
    Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to bear much fruit for several years, so go easy on it...
    Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Adams6

IS IT WORTH STARTING A VEG PATCH IN SHADE?

Unless you want courgettes or iceberg lettuce.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. "M"

Fool proof tips on success with Cobaea, please?

I just stick em in on their ends, give them about 80f and water and they usually come up in a week or so.
    I just stick em in on their ends, give them about 80f and water and they usually come up in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. DannyB

Suggestions for plants in another new border?

Excellent! Which ones have you chosen?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mrsduffy82

Himalayan honeysuckle

Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here...
    Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here keeps it subdued!?! :scratch:
    Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here keeps it subdued!?! :scratch:
    Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. NEL

Planting bulbs

My weeding tends to be remove the obvious weeds and then thin out the rest until I need the space.
    My weeding tends to be remove the obvious weeds and then thin out the rest until I need the space.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Keith Thomas

Garden fence advice

I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I can see from the reading I've done.Cheers Keith
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. 2nd_bassoon

Leggy seedlings - light issues

I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed set-up, so I'll have to work out a way of setting up lights without a sturdy base. I assume just...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed set-up, so I'll have to work out a way of setting up...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. SimonK

Help with peach tree

Checking things further.. I would have to agree with pete :heehee: Definitly looks like Brown rot gummosis, gummosis(noun)disease of citrus trees caused by the fungus Phytophthora citrophthora Source
    Checking things further.. I would have to agree with pete :heehee: Definitly looks like Brown rot gummosis, gummosis(noun)disease of citrus trees caused by the fungus Phytophthora citrophthora Source
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. "M"

Winter hanging plants.

:question: Thought something was up with them!! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. tangham

Help with shrub

You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard,...
    You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard, taking off about a 1/3 off the branch lengths to minimise the amount of moisture the shrub will...
    You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard, taking off about a 1/3 off the branch lengths to...
    You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. DoubleMM

Pruning Bamboo

Thankyou all - very helpful advice. I'll ponder another week or so - but am sorely annoyed by the height of the clump at its' centre.
    Thankyou all - very helpful advice. I'll ponder another week or so - but am sorely annoyed by the height of the clump at its' centre.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Florabritannica

Sweet pea question

Hi Florabritannica, Well they were looking a bit leggy so I thought I'd give them a hair cut:spinning:
    Hi Florabritannica, Well they were looking a bit leggy so I thought I'd give them a hair cut:spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JDQuinn

Very amateur gardener!

Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!
    Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Nigelcharge

Shady border

Sarcococca ..just googled x
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. wren1

Got some bare root perennials and don't know what to do with them!

Great thank you! I can do that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. martin-f

Bamboo

OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take...
    OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take any notice? :rolleyes: ) :heehee:
    OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take any notice? :rolleyes: ) :heehee:
    OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options