1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 15

What to do in your garden right now..!

brilliant for me Steve, total novice and just joined the forum today, so this should keep me on my toes as there is so much to do in my new garden.
    brilliant for me Steve, total novice and just joined the forum today, so this should keep me on my toes as there is so much to do in my new garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. DoubleMM

Pruning Bamboo

Thankyou all - very helpful advice. I'll ponder another week or so - but am sorely annoyed by the height of the clump at its' centre.
    Thankyou all - very helpful advice. I'll ponder another week or so - but am sorely annoyed by the height of the clump at its' centre.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Florabritannica

Sweet pea question

Hi Florabritannica, Well they were looking a bit leggy so I thought I'd give them a hair cut:spinning:
    Hi Florabritannica, Well they were looking a bit leggy so I thought I'd give them a hair cut:spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JDQuinn

Very amateur gardener!

Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!
    Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nigelcharge

Shady border

Sarcococca ..just googled x
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wren1

Got some bare root perennials and don't know what to do with them!

Great thank you! I can do that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. martin-f

Bamboo

OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take...
    OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take any notice? :rolleyes: ) :heehee:
    OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take any notice? :rolleyes: ) :heehee:
    OMG!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Please can you submit that, in bold, in CAPITALS, in triplicate, and forward it to Mr "M"? :love30::shhhh: (I've been telling Mr "M" that for *years* but will the blighter take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JPetch

Basic garden help! :)

Looking at that pic, and if you want usable lawn by summer then I'd weedkill the lot, take it over and get turf down in mid Spring
    Looking at that pic, and if you want usable lawn by summer then I'd weedkill the lot, take it over and get turf down in mid Spring
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Auntpol

Help please. Petunias and grow lights

I think I'm still going to try and see how the collected seeds turn out but will also buy some seeds as a backup.Thanks to everyone who helped - very much appreciated.
    I think I'm still going to try and see how the collected seeds turn out but will also buy some seeds as a backup.Thanks to everyone who helped - very much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Dangermouse

Clearing ground so it doesnt revert

That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either...
    That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either planting well established pot/cell grown plants in the open ground, or covering that first flush of...
    That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either planting well established pot/cell grown plants in...
    That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. "M"

Winter hanging plants.

:ThankYou: @LinzI'll have to get imaginative with the climbers and see if I can make them head for Australia :heehee:
    :ThankYou: @LinzI'll have to get imaginative with the climbers and see if I can make them head for Australia :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. herbs&flowers

Lifting Bulbs for Forcing Indoors

Would never, ever want to do this. I would just buy some paperwhites from a store and plant them in a pot for inside blooming. I just toss them at the end and move on.
    Would never, ever want to do this. I would just buy some paperwhites from a store and plant them in a pot for inside blooming. I just toss them at the end and move on.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Potluck

DIY Design and build

Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I...
    Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I can.Back when I did the last part of my lawn, I started to prepare it in Spring, allowed the...
    Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I can.Back when I did the last part of my lawn, I...
    Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Steven_mc

Frozen lawn

:sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn...
    :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn ;)Hopefully you'll stick around and we'll be able to share your excitement and joys as you do more...
    :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn ;)Hopefully you'll stick around and we'll be able...
    :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. "M"

London Pride: when, and how, do I take a cutting/split a clump?

Will do. When I get a chance to see her :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. "M"

Leaf clearing advice, please.

When we lived in town, our next door neighbor lady paid the young boys across the street to rake her leaves. I paid them $20 to bring them all to me. :roflol: My poor long suffering husband nearly had a...
    When we lived in town, our next door neighbor lady paid the young boys across the street to rake her leaves. I paid them $20 to bring them all to me. :roflol: My poor long suffering husband nearly had a heart attack when he came home to Leaf Mountain. The boys filled the chicken coop and run and made a...
    When we lived in town, our next door neighbor lady paid the young boys across the street to rake her leaves. I paid them $20 to bring them all to me. :roflol: My poor long suffering husband nearly had a heart attack when he came home to Leaf Mountain....
    When we lived in town, our next door neighbor lady paid the young boys across the street to rake her leaves. I paid them $20 to bring them all to me. :roflol: My poor long suffering husband nearly had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. wildsam

Drainage

Looking good now Sam :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. "M"

Aquilegia seedlings: advice please.

If it were me I would dig up some of the seedlings and pot them up, keep them in a coldframe or greenhouse until spring and then plant them where you want them to flower. I think if they are...
    If it were me I would dig up some of the seedlings and pot them up, keep them in a coldframe or greenhouse until spring and then plant them where you want them to flower. I think if they are coddled a bit they are more likely to flower a little in their first year.
    If it were me I would dig up some of the seedlings and pot them up, keep them in a coldframe or greenhouse until spring and then plant them where you want them to flower. I think if they are coddled a bit they are more likely to flower a little...
    If it were me I would dig up some of the seedlings and pot them up, keep them in a coldframe or greenhouse until spring and then plant them where you want them to flower. I think if they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. William Francis

Oh dear!?

We used to have moles so we planted some wild garlic, so far no molesJiffy don't temp fate
    We used to have moles so we planted some wild garlic, so far no molesJiffy don't temp fate
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. mrsc

Conifers planted too near border

My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't be seen, won't be considered malicious damage.Taking it to the extreme :rasp:- are you entitled to shave...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't be seen, won't be considered malicious...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. herriotfan
    Like x 3

Greenhouse sorted!

Good choice.Show us some photos once it's up.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options