1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Debbiegold

Help needed on Evergreens suitable for pots in part shade?

Thanks Verdun I will do as I have quite a few canes :snorky:...do all the leaves disappear then :what:
    Thanks Verdun I will do as I have quite a few canes :snorky:...do all the leaves disappear then :what:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Lauren Wales

Olive tree.. help!

Hi there! Thank you :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kevin Cowans

Perennial Trailing Plants for use in 12" Wall Baskets?

All the ones I recommended are hardy perennials @Kevin Cowans.. I don't recommend hardy fuchsias as they die back to twigs every winter..
    All the ones I recommended are hardy perennials @Kevin Cowans.. I don't recommend hardy fuchsias as they die back to twigs every winter..
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. kriss

Ideas and tips please!

Straight lines can be fine and often appropriate kriss....e.g. alongside a path or where formality is preferred or where curves would not be practical.:) Putting in a curve where not suitable can...
    Straight lines can be fine and often appropriate kriss....e.g. alongside a path or where formality is preferred or where curves would not be practical.:) Putting in a curve where not suitable can look odd. A border can have a straight edge, alongside the drive for example, but have broad...
    Straight lines can be fine and often appropriate kriss....e.g. alongside a path or where formality is preferred or where curves would not be practical.:) Putting in a curve where not suitable can look odd. A border can have a straight edge,...
    Straight lines can be fine and often appropriate kriss....e.g. alongside a path or where formality is preferred or where curves would not be practical.:) Putting in a curve where not suitable can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. jamsy

planting a hedge, in need of advice

Hello jamsy....welcome to the forum :)You could have individual shrubs there to act as a hedge to give you privacy:). Just a thought. You could mix tall and shorter shrubs and grasses...
    Hello jamsy....welcome to the forum :)You could have individual shrubs there to act as a hedge to give you privacy:). Just a thought. You could mix tall and shorter shrubs and grasses there.Escallonia makes an excellent hedge with attractive flowers in summer. Reasonably quick growing. Hebe...
    Hello jamsy....welcome to the forum :)You could have individual shrubs there to act as a hedge to give you privacy:). Just a thought. You could mix tall and shorter shrubs and grasses there.Escallonia makes an excellent hedge with attractive...
    Hello jamsy....welcome to the forum :)You could have individual shrubs there to act as a hedge to give you privacy:). Just a thought. You could mix tall and shorter shrubs and grasses...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Kevin Cowans

Correct way to raise soil level in border

Hello @TettersThanks for the reply.No need to worry, there are places where the hedgehogs can venture out of my garden :)Kevin
    Hello @TettersThanks for the reply.No need to worry, there are places where the hedgehogs can venture out of my garden :)Kevin
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Denwyn

Raised Flower Bed

Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare...
    Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare as soon as builders start new paved area,afraid there being skipped. I did think of using them,but...
    Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare as soon as builders start new paved area,afraid...
    Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. lowrider69

Asparagus Advice please

Hello @Marley Farley you've got a good show there...you definitely know how to grow your stuff ;)
    Hello @Marley Farley you've got a good show there...you definitely know how to grow your stuff ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Lilacfaery

Rooting from a cutting?

I would make a pot of sandy soil or add sand to potting mix. Then cut at an angle a branch just below a node with a pair of leaves. I would make them about 6 inches long. The strip all the leaves,...
    I would make a pot of sandy soil or add sand to potting mix. Then cut at an angle a branch just below a node with a pair of leaves. I would make them about 6 inches long. The strip all the leaves, gently, except the top set. Then cut them in half. Now stick them in the pot you have prepared and...
    I would make a pot of sandy soil or add sand to potting mix. Then cut at an angle a branch just below a node with a pair of leaves. I would make them about 6 inches long. The strip all the leaves, gently, except the top set. Then cut them in...
    I would make a pot of sandy soil or add sand to potting mix. Then cut at an angle a branch just below a node with a pair of leaves. I would make them about 6 inches long. The strip all the leaves,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. enginestar

What can I grow in plant boxes?

To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to...
    To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to look elsewhere this time.This link might be of interest if you are considering buying a cherry...
    To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to look elsewhere this time.This link might be of...
    To protect fruit from birds, I would put netting over them. This is what I do with blackcurrants, figs and blueberries.If local shops have sold out of what you want, you may perhaps need to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sandhun

What to do with ugly border at end of the garden

The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer and a climbing Hydrenagea however most of the fence is still visible. I've recently emptied this...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer and a climbing Hydrenagea however most of the...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer...
    IMG_6115.JPG IMG_6116.JPG DSC_4598.jpg P1060581.JPG P1060576.JPG P1060572.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Cbrook85
    Like x 5

My little project's! Fist timer!!

You should be very proud of yourself as all your plants look so healthy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Fflur

72 mini plugs arrived today, I am feeling overwhelmed!

Well, sounds good value then Mervyn :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. MRMAC02

Rasberry Blackberry Plant Help Required

To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of...
    To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of raspberry. I hope somebody else can give you a good answer to this. Posting a picture might help others...
    To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of raspberry. I hope somebody else can give you a good answer...
    To prevent the plant from branching out and encouraging it growing taller? I do not do that, unless the growth is in my way of keeping thing tidy, but it might also depend on the type of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. jezzwhizz

Overgrown magnolia

I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close to them.The floors are cracking, flooding is regular and I wonder what I would do if in their...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close to them.The floors are cracking, flooding is...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ChrisGo

Eringuium Zabelli help please

You're welcome ChrisGo :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. cheryl felix

Why can't I grow anything?????

Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing them and wait. Unless you are a professional growing them for fruit to sell or feed your family it's...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing them and wait. Unless you are a professional...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kevin Cowans

How to Kill or Remove Ivy Root

Any overspill from Epsom salts is diluted, and so feeds surrounding plants rather than damage them :snorky: - all those roots need is the 'overdose'
    Any overspill from Epsom salts is diluted, and so feeds surrounding plants rather than damage them :snorky: - all those roots need is the 'overdose'
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Newbiehere

Leylandii

When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the...
    When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the rain started, and then ignored them for a year or two. These trees will grow massive if you let them,...
    When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the rain started, and then ignored them for a year or...
    When I planted this hedge of leylandii they were about 6" tall, my own cuttings, and I planted them just before a long drought - just like we have now. I gave them water every day until the...
    20180706_221057.jpg 20180706_221101.jpg DSC00016 (1).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. tangham

Help with Paniculata cuttings.

Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large amount of callus which prohibits rooting.Incitement for root production is initiated as soon as a stem...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large amount of callus which prohibits rooting.Incitement...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice