1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. wiseowl

I D Caterpillar

Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite...
    Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite late in the season. :scratch:
    Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite late in the season. :scratch:
    Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. waylannder2002
    Informative x 5

Found a Solution to the Rat Problem

Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but...
    Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but encouraged by the farmers to hang around so they keep down vermin. The mothers teach the kittens how...
    Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but encouraged by the farmers to hang around so they...
    Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. TheMadHedger

Do these small Fuchsia plants have a problem?

Thanks, they're doing well now, even flowering quite actively (although that's likely to change as it cools off this weekend).
    Thanks, they're doing well now, even flowering quite actively (although that's likely to change as it cools off this weekend).
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. A Ban

Midwinter fire leaves turning brown

Cornus Alba Siberica should grow well in your region, but if it's not doing so great, maybe give it a good drink now and keep an eye on watering. If the leaves have turned brown, it might be a...
    Cornus Alba Siberica should grow well in your region, but if it's not doing so great, maybe give it a good drink now and keep an eye on watering. If the leaves have turned brown, it might be a sign of stress. These shrubs like well-drained soil and regular watering, especially during dry spells.
    Cornus Alba Siberica should grow well in your region, but if it's not doing so great, maybe give it a good drink now and keep an eye on watering. If the leaves have turned brown, it might be a sign of stress. These shrubs like well-drained soil...
    Cornus Alba Siberica should grow well in your region, but if it's not doing so great, maybe give it a good drink now and keep an eye on watering. If the leaves have turned brown, it might be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Mikey1970.

Help, lupin killers aphids or green fly??

If you want to stop them next year, you might want to consider some preventive measures like companion planting with plants that deter aphids, using neem oil, or ladybugs as natural predators. And...
    If you want to stop them next year, you might want to consider some preventive measures like companion planting with plants that deter aphids, using neem oil, or ladybugs as natural predators. And don't forget some extra care with pruning and maintenance.
    If you want to stop them next year, you might want to consider some preventive measures like companion planting with plants that deter aphids, using neem oil, or ladybugs as natural predators. And don't forget some extra care with pruning and...
    If you want to stop them next year, you might want to consider some preventive measures like companion planting with plants that deter aphids, using neem oil, or ladybugs as natural predators. And...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Drahcir

Collapsed cabbage.

Bummer about your cabbage! Sometimes it happens to the best of us. Maybe check for pests or diseases, and keep an eye on the others.
    Bummer about your cabbage! Sometimes it happens to the best of us. Maybe check for pests or diseases, and keep an eye on the others.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. MikeK

New Infestation of Small Insects

Looks like you're dealing with springtails. They're tiny and can gather in damp areas. Try to reduce moisture around the porch – fix any leaks, ensure proper drainage, and clear debris. They...
    Looks like you're dealing with springtails. They're tiny and can gather in damp areas. Try to reduce moisture around the porch – fix any leaks, ensure proper drainage, and clear debris. They usually move inside to escape dampness. Some bug spray could help if they're really bothering you.
    Looks like you're dealing with springtails. They're tiny and can gather in damp areas. Try to reduce moisture around the porch – fix any leaks, ensure proper drainage, and clear debris. They usually move inside to escape dampness. Some bug spray...
    Looks like you're dealing with springtails. They're tiny and can gather in damp areas. Try to reduce moisture around the porch – fix any leaks, ensure proper drainage, and clear debris. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. tugrul

Help with magnolia

No worries @tugrul mine is exactly the same :thumbsup: it'll come good it seems to do it every year at this time.I'm guessing it's down to the fluctuations of temperature and it'll be losing it's leaves...
    No worries @tugrul mine is exactly the same :thumbsup: it'll come good it seems to do it every year at this time.I'm guessing it's down to the fluctuations of temperature and it'll be losing it's leaves before long.:dbgrtmb:
    No worries @tugrul mine is exactly the same :thumbsup: it'll come good it seems to do it every year at this time.I'm guessing it's down to the fluctuations of temperature and it'll be losing it's leaves before long.:dbgrtmb:
    No worries @tugrul mine is exactly the same :thumbsup: it'll come good it seems to do it every year at this time.I'm guessing it's down to the fluctuations of temperature and it'll be losing it's leaves...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Billi

Should I be concerned?

If you are talking about the red dots, it's nothing to worry about. Mine always had them and it won't cause any problem
    If you are talking about the red dots, it's nothing to worry about. Mine always had them and it won't cause any problem
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Balc

Itsy Bitsy caterpillars 2023

Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many...
    Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many times before as they are a favourite flower of my wife's but I've never seen the moth on the...
    Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many times before as they are a favourite flower of my...
    Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Dugie

Dahlia issue

I will give this a shot.
    I will give this a shot.
    I will give this a shot.
    I will give this a shot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Fof

Holly Leaf curl

Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought,...
    Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought, all of the sulked and refused to do very much. This year I am seeing good new growth on all, with...
    Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought, all of the sulked and refused to do very...
    Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought,...
    P1090227.jpg P1090232.jpg P1090247.jpg P1090217.jpg P1090252.jpg P1090242.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. hi2u_uk

Salt water as a weedkiller

We use 5L of white vinegar to a cup of salt, been doing this for 5 years on paving, treating it twice a year
    We use 5L of white vinegar to a cup of salt, been doing this for 5 years on paving, treating it twice a year
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. vbgr

Dahlia problem.

HI, thanks for all the advice on the reason my dahlias are spotty. I’ve given them a rose clear spray and it seems to have halted the spots. Soon I will dig one up and have a look at the tubers,...
    HI, thanks for all the advice on the reason my dahlias are spotty. I’ve given them a rose clear spray and it seems to have halted the spots. Soon I will dig one up and have a look at the tubers, but the problem isn’t so obvious now. Keep fingers crossed. V
    HI, thanks for all the advice on the reason my dahlias are spotty. I’ve given them a rose clear spray and it seems to have halted the spots. Soon I will dig one up and have a look at the tubers, but the problem isn’t so obvious now. Keep fingers...
    HI, thanks for all the advice on the reason my dahlias are spotty. I’ve given them a rose clear spray and it seems to have halted the spots. Soon I will dig one up and have a look at the tubers,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Drahcir

Box bother.

That's what is in xentari.A friend has replaced all his box hedging with ilex crenata, looks very similar to box but is slower growing, it's not affected by the caterpillars.
    That's what is in xentari.A friend has replaced all his box hedging with ilex crenata, looks very similar to box but is slower growing, it's not affected by the caterpillars.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Drahcir

Root pest weed.

Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the...
    Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the surface of the soil. Root aphids attack the plant’s root system, often killing the plant if not identified...
    Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the surface of the soil. Root aphids attack the plant’s root...
    Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Drahcir

Damage under enviromesh mystery.

Well, having been up there just now, I suspect it was the wind. Pictured through the enviromesh:
    Well, having been up there just now, I suspect it was the wind. Pictured through the enviromesh:
    P1080635.JPG P1080643.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Drahcir

Best cost-effective slug bait (pellets)?

Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I...
    Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I would be happier if the bait was attractive (to molluscs) and reliably fatal.
    Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I would be happier if the bait was attractive (to...
    Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Drahcir

Bean seed postmortem.

It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to...
    It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to replace them"). What that's worth I have never tried to find out. I'll be interested to see what...
    It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to replace them"). What that's worth I have never...
    It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Grandma Sue

BLACK FLY

There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for...
    There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for the RHS to recommend their use. Note many contact insecticides contain soap or soap like compounds...
    There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for the RHS to recommend their use. Note many contact...
    There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice