1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Drahcir

Root pest weed.

Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the...
    Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the surface of the soil. Root aphids attack the plant’s root system, often killing the plant if not identified...
    Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the surface of the soil. Root aphids attack the plant’s root...
    Root aphids feed on different types of plants, damaging the health of the source. Many aphids thrive in the stems and leaves, but the root aphid is different. This insect is found under the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Drahcir

Damage under enviromesh mystery.

Well, having been up there just now, I suspect it was the wind. Pictured through the enviromesh:
    Well, having been up there just now, I suspect it was the wind. Pictured through the enviromesh:
    P1080635.JPG P1080643.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Drahcir

Best cost-effective slug bait (pellets)?

Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I...
    Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I would be happier if the bait was attractive (to molluscs) and reliably fatal.
    Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I would be happier if the bait was attractive (to...
    Perhaps your cat feels deficient in iron!. I believe that the pure ferric phosphate is 'safe' to mammals; it's used in human food(?) Its the chelates EDDS &EDTA i ngredients which are toxic .I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Drahcir

Bean seed postmortem.

It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to...
    It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to replace them"). What that's worth I have never tried to find out. I'll be interested to see what...
    It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to replace them"). What that's worth I have never...
    It's difficult. We can only trust the labelling, I guess (although that is backed up by law). Some places (e.g. Wilko) give a "germination guarantee" ("Should these seeds fail, we will be happy to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Grandma Sue

BLACK FLY

There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for...
    There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for the RHS to recommend their use. Note many contact insecticides contain soap or soap like compounds...
    There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for the RHS to recommend their use. Note many contact...
    There is a reason for neither soapy water or plain water being mentioned, neither of these have been licenced as pesticides for the control of blackfly and it would, technically, be illegal for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Drahcir

What's eating the onion leaves?

I dont know about @Drahcir but my site isnt accessible to anything bigger than birds and rabbits, we also get the odd mink so my guess for the damage to my own onions is the pigeons that live...
    I dont know about @Drahcir but my site isnt accessible to anything bigger than birds and rabbits, we also get the odd mink so my guess for the damage to my own onions is the pigeons that live around the site and the ones that live on site.
    I dont know about @Drahcir but my site isnt accessible to anything bigger than birds and rabbits, we also get the odd mink so my guess for the damage to my own onions is the pigeons that live around the site and the ones that live on site.
    I dont know about @Drahcir but my site isnt accessible to anything bigger than birds and rabbits, we also get the odd mink so my guess for the damage to my own onions is the pigeons that live...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. TheMadHedger

What's up with this courgette plant?

Will do, thanks.
    Will do, thanks.
    Will do, thanks.
    Will do, thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Emilyjade

Help please, should I get rid of my birch tree?

Thank you for replies. I decided to remove it as was very sticky in the area I sit in. It was also going to be a problem as was getting quite big and was too close the house. Thanks again for answers.
    Thank you for replies. I decided to remove it as was very sticky in the area I sit in. It was also going to be a problem as was getting quite big and was too close the house. Thanks again for answers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Black Dog

Caterpillars on apple tree

I don't know what they are, nor do i want to, I'd just get rid of them on an apple tree. :biggrin:
    I don't know what they are, nor do i want to, I'd just get rid of them on an apple tree. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. DaveMK

Bindweed in my compost heap

You definitely have my sympathies. I am fighting against the bindweed for 3 years now. Although I have a feeling it is getting better (digging up everything anyway was a big help), there are quite...
    You definitely have my sympathies. I am fighting against the bindweed for 3 years now. Although I have a feeling it is getting better (digging up everything anyway was a big help), there are quite I few footholds beneath some bushes where I can't reach them.Only thing that helps is to dig up...
    You definitely have my sympathies. I am fighting against the bindweed for 3 years now. Although I have a feeling it is getting better (digging up everything anyway was a big help), there are quite I few footholds beneath some bushes where I can't...
    You definitely have my sympathies. I am fighting against the bindweed for 3 years now. Although I have a feeling it is getting better (digging up everything anyway was a big help), there are quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Ira B

Fungus Gnats Infestation in Retail Compost Bags: A St Albans, Hertfordshire Problem?

Think you will find them in any bags of compost and though there are many different retail brands they probably only come from a couple of manufacturers.Have tried several method to control them...
    Think you will find them in any bags of compost and though there are many different retail brands they probably only come from a couple of manufacturers.Have tried several method to control them before, but for house plants and in the greenhouse have found that the Mosquito Bits that...
    Think you will find them in any bags of compost and though there are many different retail brands they probably only come from a couple of manufacturers.Have tried several method to control them before, but for house plants and in the...
    Think you will find them in any bags of compost and though there are many different retail brands they probably only come from a couple of manufacturers.Have tried several method to control them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. TheMadHedger

Courgettes - yellow spots on some leaves of some plants

Probably wont help much but have a look at this: www.vegetables.cornell.edu/pest-management/disease-factsheets/virus-diseases-of-cucurbits/
    Probably wont help much but have a look at this: www.vegetables.cornell.edu/pest-management/disease-factsheets/virus-diseases-of-cucurbits/
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. dowtish

Buxus shrubs - XenTari

HiNoticed some box caterpillar on my buxus hedge so sprayed with XenTari. It always does the trick and saved my hedge from disaster a few years back. Wasn't informed back then so initially...
    HiNoticed some box caterpillar on my buxus hedge so sprayed with XenTari. It always does the trick and saved my hedge from disaster a few years back. Wasn't informed back then so initially tried neem oil, garlic and chili pepper spray which didn't really help.Just wanted to know if anyone...
    HiNoticed some box caterpillar on my buxus hedge so sprayed with XenTari. It always does the trick and saved my hedge from disaster a few years back. Wasn't informed back then so initially tried neem oil, garlic and chili pepper spray which...
    HiNoticed some box caterpillar on my buxus hedge so sprayed with XenTari. It always does the trick and saved my hedge from disaster a few years back. Wasn't informed back then so initially...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Pushkin
    Informative x 5

Trialling Slug and Snail deterrent.

I suspect that they would. Then they'd head for the beer traps and spend the following day feeling rather poorly, huddled in their shells :biggrin:
    I suspect that they would. Then they'd head for the beer traps and spend the following day feeling rather poorly, huddled in their shells :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. jaffa

Cherry laurels are dying

may have been waterlogged for a while plus we had a cold frosty winter which wouldn't of helped been evergreen and if the soil frozen they do tend to lose leaves ... just leave for now and I...
    may have been waterlogged for a while plus we had a cold frosty winter which wouldn't of helped been evergreen and if the soil frozen they do tend to lose leaves ... just leave for now and I woudnt feed this year while the new roots are growing away just waterif we have a dry week through the summer
    may have been waterlogged for a while plus we had a cold frosty winter which wouldn't of helped been evergreen and if the soil frozen they do tend to lose leaves ... just leave for now and I woudnt feed this year while the new roots are growing...
    may have been waterlogged for a while plus we had a cold frosty winter which wouldn't of helped been evergreen and if the soil frozen they do tend to lose leaves ... just leave for now and I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ricky101

Root MealyBug Treatment

We sprinkled the powder under their wings and round their backsides. We also used it as a dust in the hen coop and on the perches and in the nest boxes. The can eat it witout coming to any harm...
    We sprinkled the powder under their wings and round their backsides. We also used it as a dust in the hen coop and on the perches and in the nest boxes. The can eat it witout coming to any harm from what I can discover.
    We sprinkled the powder under their wings and round their backsides. We also used it as a dust in the hen coop and on the perches and in the nest boxes. The can eat it witout coming to any harm from what I can discover.
    We sprinkled the powder under their wings and round their backsides. We also used it as a dust in the hen coop and on the perches and in the nest boxes. The can eat it witout coming to any harm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Black Orchid

NEEM OIL USAGE

Might end up being too potent or ripe! :roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Glynne Williams

Dying Clematis

Good for you. If at first you don't succeed etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Dahlia123

Brown Rose Leaves

The leaves on an established rose plant have started to turn brown. Does anybody have any ideas what causes this and what I should do about it? about it?
    The leaves on an established rose plant have started to turn brown. Does anybody have any ideas what causes this and what I should do about it? about it?
    RoseLeaves.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. QuothTheRaven

Flatworms

I haven't got a clue Pete. :doh:I've never felt the need to test the soil in any of the gardens I've had.
    I haven't got a clue Pete. :doh:I've never felt the need to test the soil in any of the gardens I've had.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice