1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Adam Moran

Slugs!

AdamAs others have said, try everything! By the sound of it, you're not averse to using chemicals so pellets are likely to be your best stand by.I'm not convinced about the effectiveness...
    AdamAs others have said, try everything! By the sound of it, you're not averse to using chemicals so pellets are likely to be your best stand by.I'm not convinced about the effectiveness of physical barriers after one night when I found my biggest, roughest, woodiest, twiggiest thyme...
    AdamAs others have said, try everything! By the sound of it, you're not averse to using chemicals so pellets are likely to be your best stand by.I'm not convinced about the effectiveness of physical barriers after one night when I found...
    AdamAs others have said, try everything! By the sound of it, you're not averse to using chemicals so pellets are likely to be your best stand by.I'm not convinced about the effectiveness...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Littlelegs

Sprout problem

Good advice there :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. hammer

gnats,mozzies etc.

just a wild guess but they don`t like smoke do they, not suggesting you light up but light a candle or two ,in a safe place for 10 mins or so before you water
    just a wild guess but they don`t like smoke do they, not suggesting you light up but light a candle or two ,in a safe place for 10 mins or so before you water
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. bonzo

potentilla disease

Thanks for the advice, folks. I've been away for a few days, but before I went I gave the shrub a good feed and will follow up with severe surgery, as suggested. I'll keep my fingers...
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I've been away for a few days, but before I went I gave the shrub a good feed and will follow up with severe surgery, as suggested. I'll keep my fingers crossed.It's nice to have found such a helpful forum. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I've been away for a few days, but before I went I gave the shrub a good feed and will follow up with severe surgery, as suggested. I'll keep my fingers crossed.It's nice to have found such a helpful forum....
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I've been away for a few days, but before I went I gave the shrub a good feed and will follow up with severe surgery, as suggested. I'll keep my fingers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kedi-Gato

sick red peach?

I can't imagine anything looking worse, Pete, but if you say so, I believe you. No, there are no aphids on it. Mr K has even watered it often during the hot periods. It must be something with...
    I can't imagine anything looking worse, Pete, but if you say so, I believe you. No, there are no aphids on it. Mr K has even watered it often during the hot periods. It must be something with this tree (the oldest one) as the others don't have this problem. Just hope it's not catching ...
    I can't imagine anything looking worse, Pete, but if you say so, I believe you. No, there are no aphids on it. Mr K has even watered it often during the hot periods. It must be something with this tree (the oldest one) as the others don't...
    I can't imagine anything looking worse, Pete, but if you say so, I believe you. No, there are no aphids on it. Mr K has even watered it often during the hot periods. It must be something with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. markdadude

blackcurrants and redcurrants - leaves have holes everywhere

MarkFor widespread leaf damage to fruit bushes, the first culprits that come to mind are sawflies. But they tend to leave the leaf veins. And you can often see the little so-and-sos at work...
    MarkFor widespread leaf damage to fruit bushes, the first culprits that come to mind are sawflies. But they tend to leave the leaf veins. And you can often see the little so-and-sos at work if you look closely enough. Have you sprayed the bushes with any insecticide yet?
    MarkFor widespread leaf damage to fruit bushes, the first culprits that come to mind are sawflies. But they tend to leave the leaf veins. And you can often see the little so-and-sos at work if you look closely enough. Have you sprayed the...
    MarkFor widespread leaf damage to fruit bushes, the first culprits that come to mind are sawflies. But they tend to leave the leaf veins. And you can often see the little so-and-sos at work...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. shimsham

Ants

Boiling hot water.......................Simple as:D
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Prastio

What is eating my Rhubarb?

Full marks to all those who suggested slugs. A handful of slug pellets last night, and this morning I have at least 6 fat (dead) slugs and buckets of slime.
    Full marks to all those who suggested slugs. A handful of slug pellets last night, and this morning I have at least 6 fat (dead) slugs and buckets of slime.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS

Hollyhocks and rust

It should do Pam, if you cut the stem close to the base after it has finished flowering, you could also collect and dry some of the seeds if you are happy with the plant but they will not flower...
    It should do Pam, if you cut the stem close to the base after it has finished flowering, you could also collect and dry some of the seeds if you are happy with the plant but they will not flower in the first year. Sounds as though you and cajary are the only satisfied customers, good luck with...
    It should do Pam, if you cut the stem close to the base after it has finished flowering, you could also collect and dry some of the seeds if you are happy with the plant but they will not flower in the first year. Sounds as though you and cajary...
    It should do Pam, if you cut the stem close to the base after it has finished flowering, you could also collect and dry some of the seeds if you are happy with the plant but they will not flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lindyco

Ant And Deck

Dont even think of using jeyes fluid, it will kill the grass. There are no real solutions for ants.
    Dont even think of using jeyes fluid, it will kill the grass. There are no real solutions for ants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Paladin

Yellow Bay Leaves

Thanks for the info folks:thumb: I would prefer to plant it in a border but Mrs Pal is after a bigger planter...:rolleyes: Wonder who'll get their way??:cool:
    Thanks for the info folks:thumb: I would prefer to plant it in a border but Mrs Pal is after a bigger planter...:rolleyes: Wonder who'll get their way??:cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lindyco

Is This Blight??

Thank you, John, for your reply. Read the useful article you recommended - You may well be right about the overheating - I've moved all the toms into a sheltered spot outside, keeping the sick...
    Thank you, John, for your reply. Read the useful article you recommended - You may well be right about the overheating - I've moved all the toms into a sheltered spot outside, keeping the sick ones well apart, although I don't suppose there's any help for them - they may be too far gone to...
    Thank you, John, for your reply. Read the useful article you recommended - You may well be right about the overheating - I've moved all the toms into a sheltered spot outside, keeping the sick ones well apart, although I don't suppose there's...
    Thank you, John, for your reply. Read the useful article you recommended - You may well be right about the overheating - I've moved all the toms into a sheltered spot outside, keeping the sick...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jervis

Bay bush, looking very sick

Many thanks, Daitheplant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. steve75

Garden pests

Morning Gardenesse and welcome,the coffee beans are a good deterent especially when fired from a catapult.:D
    Morning Gardenesse and welcome,the coffee beans are a good deterent especially when fired from a catapult.:D
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Old Dan

Potato disease

Lor!........... I hope it is nothing too poionous, I have made chips from spuds like that!
    Lor!........... I hope it is nothing too poionous, I have made chips from spuds like that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. bumblebee

Orange Spots

Have you fed the plants with anything this year?
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. lollipop

pesky meecies!

I guess you've never seen how far rats can jump then!? ;) As others have said, it's possible to get humane traps that don't kill the mice, maybe get hold of and deploy a couple of those and get...
    I guess you've never seen how far rats can jump then!? ;) As others have said, it's possible to get humane traps that don't kill the mice, maybe get hold of and deploy a couple of those and get hubby to deal with the traps once they're occupied?
    I guess you've never seen how far rats can jump then!? ;) As others have said, it's possible to get humane traps that don't kill the mice, maybe get hold of and deploy a couple of those and get hubby to deal with the traps once they're occupied?
    I guess you've never seen how far rats can jump then!? ;) As others have said, it's possible to get humane traps that don't kill the mice, maybe get hold of and deploy a couple of those and get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Chrysocolla

Ants, friend or foe?

Yeah, as the others have said I think ants aren't generally a problem directly, but their aphid farming habits are obviously something to keep a look out for. I tend to leave them myself, unless...
    Yeah, as the others have said I think ants aren't generally a problem directly, but their aphid farming habits are obviously something to keep a look out for. I tend to leave them myself, unless they start getting into the house.
    Yeah, as the others have said I think ants aren't generally a problem directly, but their aphid farming habits are obviously something to keep a look out for. I tend to leave them myself, unless they start getting into the house.
    Yeah, as the others have said I think ants aren't generally a problem directly, but their aphid farming habits are obviously something to keep a look out for. I tend to leave them myself, unless...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. beanie b12

It's small, white and hungry

Sounds like whitefly to me, Beanie. They wont be eating the plants though. More likely Keel slugs, put down some pellets.:thumb:
    Sounds like whitefly to me, Beanie. They wont be eating the plants though. More likely Keel slugs, put down some pellets.:thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Loofah

Rust?

Thanks chaps, I stuck down some FBB meal earlier but will get some Iron of Sulphate at the weekend
    Thanks chaps, I stuck down some FBB meal earlier but will get some Iron of Sulphate at the weekend
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice