1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Poly-Tunnel Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Scrungee

Polythene mulching to polytunnel beds and borders

But relatively easily dealt with using beer traps and non-rain proof organic bird/hedgehog friendly bait, being under cover.I usually use an upturned plastic bottle with the bottom cut off...
    But relatively easily dealt with using beer traps and non-rain proof organic bird/hedgehog friendly bait, being under cover.I usually use an upturned plastic bottle with the bottom cut off and placed on a stick projecting into the hole through the mulch for bushy plants and a similar...
    But relatively easily dealt with using beer traps and non-rain proof organic bird/hedgehog friendly bait, being under cover.I usually use an upturned plastic bottle with the bottom cut off and placed on a stick projecting into the hole...
    But relatively easily dealt with using beer traps and non-rain proof organic bird/hedgehog friendly bait, being under cover.I usually use an upturned plastic bottle with the bottom cut off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Steve R

How to grow food in your polytunnel

My husband made me a small set up very similiar to what I am seeing here. We grew our tomatoes in it, but did not grow year round. It works great! Cheers! Cody Wellard:)
    My husband made me a small set up very similiar to what I am seeing here. We grew our tomatoes in it, but did not grow year round. It works great! Cheers! Cody Wellard:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. lazydog

DIY Pollytunnel

The DIY tunnel in the first post above has been knocking around for a number of years now, it was published I think before the raft of cheaper tunnels we have available today came up for sale. My...
    The DIY tunnel in the first post above has been knocking around for a number of years now, it was published I think before the raft of cheaper tunnels we have available today came up for sale. My point being here that it was a cheap solution at first, and still is if your resourceful or lucky...
    The DIY tunnel in the first post above has been knocking around for a number of years now, it was published I think before the raft of cheaper tunnels we have available today came up for sale. My point being here that it was a cheap solution at...
    The DIY tunnel in the first post above has been knocking around for a number of years now, it was published I think before the raft of cheaper tunnels we have available today came up for sale. My...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Lisa11

Cheap polytunnels???

I still have a few Pumpkins (edible ones) and squashes to plant at the Alottment, so I may temp erect this new tunnel over them to aid growing/ripening of them before moving it in Spring to its...
    I still have a few Pumpkins (edible ones) and squashes to plant at the Alottment, so I may temp erect this new tunnel over them to aid growing/ripening of them before moving it in Spring to its final position. Steve...:)
    I still have a few Pumpkins (edible ones) and squashes to plant at the Alottment, so I may temp erect this new tunnel over them to aid growing/ripening of them before moving it in Spring to its final position. Steve...:)
    I still have a few Pumpkins (edible ones) and squashes to plant at the Alottment, so I may temp erect this new tunnel over them to aid growing/ripening of them before moving it in Spring to its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

Chopper's Poly Tunnel ..!!

Nice...let them take over..!! ...More to eat! Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. minton

New Tunnel Advice

What sort of size/cost are you thinking of?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. peter m

new poly tunnel

things are jumping fast in the poly tunnel know we have been eating some lettuce leaves this week nice and early for us
    things are jumping fast in the poly tunnel know we have been eating some lettuce leaves this week nice and early for us
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Esthalon

Winter night time temperatures in a Polytunnel

I've been trying to post a reply but no luck. 3rd time lucky, I hope!I just wanted to say thanks to all for your insight and advice. I will now prepare for the worst!I plan to get an electric...
    I've been trying to post a reply but no luck. 3rd time lucky, I hope!I just wanted to say thanks to all for your insight and advice. I will now prepare for the worst!I plan to get an electric greenhouse heter that will kick in if it goes below 5C, I can get one online here for €29.99 (Not...
    I've been trying to post a reply but no luck. 3rd time lucky, I hope!I just wanted to say thanks to all for your insight and advice. I will now prepare for the worst!I plan to get an electric greenhouse heter that will kick in if it goes...
    I've been trying to post a reply but no luck. 3rd time lucky, I hope!I just wanted to say thanks to all for your insight and advice. I will now prepare for the worst!I plan to get an electric...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. m1dnv

blog style post of my making my homemade poly-tunnel!

Q How many people does it take to put a cover on a polytunnel if failure is not at option?A Only one three attempts to get it over the frame though.:huh:Well here is an update on the progress...
    Q How many people does it take to put a cover on a polytunnel if failure is not at option?A Only one three attempts to get it over the frame though.:huh:Well here is an update on the progress :- After managing to complete the project on Friday whilst the wind was at a minimum ( the day...
    Q How many people does it take to put a cover on a polytunnel if failure is not at option?A Only one three attempts to get it over the frame though.:huh:Well here is an update on the progress :- After managing to complete the project on...
    Q How many people does it take to put a cover on a polytunnel if failure is not at option?A Only one three attempts to get it over the frame though.:huh:Well here is an update on the progress...
    sd1 (Large).JPG sd2 (Large).JPG sd3 (Large).JPG sd4 (Large).JPG leanto (Large).JPG polytun (Large).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Sargan

Mesh Tunnel

I did say the prices I quoted were based on 50M length. Doesn;t surprise me that a company selling scaffolders debris netting doesn't sell by the metre!You can have 8.9M of Enviromesh,...
    I did say the prices I quoted were based on 50M length. Doesn;t surprise me that a company selling scaffolders debris netting doesn't sell by the metre!You can have 8.9M of Enviromesh, delivered, for the same price as 20M of Debris Netting (by my calculations)We cover all sorts of things...
    I did say the prices I quoted were based on 50M length. Doesn;t surprise me that a company selling scaffolders debris netting doesn't sell by the metre!You can have 8.9M of Enviromesh, delivered, for the same price as 20M of Debris Netting...
    I did say the prices I quoted were based on 50M length. Doesn;t surprise me that a company selling scaffolders debris netting doesn't sell by the metre!You can have 8.9M of Enviromesh,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BigBird

Open plot or poly-tunnel?

Hello ChopperThanks for your safety advice. Leather gloves & goggles at the ready!!...mmm....rather windy today. Sods law that when I have a day off the weather is bad!! Dare not risk it as I...
    Hello ChopperThanks for your safety advice. Leather gloves & goggles at the ready!!...mmm....rather windy today. Sods law that when I have a day off the weather is bad!! Dare not risk it as I or it may take off :heehee:Thank you & thanks for your luck too.....I'm going to need it!!:DBest...
    Hello ChopperThanks for your safety advice. Leather gloves & goggles at the ready!!...mmm....rather windy today. Sods law that when I have a day off the weather is bad!! Dare not risk it as I or it may take off :heehee:Thank you & thanks for...
    Hello ChopperThanks for your safety advice. Leather gloves & goggles at the ready!!...mmm....rather windy today. Sods law that when I have a day off the weather is bad!! Dare not risk it as I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Ariadae

Planting for the polytunnel

Thats a better idea than I had, I was thinking about putting the pots in the mushroom trays. Thats how I transport plants to car boot sales, but most of my plants for sale are in 3" pots.If...
    Thats a better idea than I had, I was thinking about putting the pots in the mushroom trays. Thats how I transport plants to car boot sales, but most of my plants for sale are in 3" pots.If you sow your salad generously, then you can regularly make a "Baby leaf salad mix" that would cost...
    Thats a better idea than I had, I was thinking about putting the pots in the mushroom trays. Thats how I transport plants to car boot sales, but most of my plants for sale are in 3" pots.If you sow your salad generously, then you can...
    Thats a better idea than I had, I was thinking about putting the pots in the mushroom trays. Thats how I transport plants to car boot sales, but most of my plants for sale are in 3" pots.If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Chopper

Polytunnel Forum.

:WINK1::thumbsup: We thought you could have a Poly Tunnel forum after all..!! There are a few people on here with them so a forum for you all seemed the way to go.. :D I shall look forward to your...
    :WINK1::thumbsup: We thought you could have a Poly Tunnel forum after all..!! There are a few people on here with them so a forum for you all seemed the way to go.. :D I shall look forward to your poly-tunnel thread "growing" then Chopper...:WINK1::loll:
    :WINK1::thumbsup: We thought you could have a Poly Tunnel forum after all..!! There are a few people on here with them so a forum for you all seemed the way to go.. :D I shall look forward to your poly-tunnel thread "growing" then Chopper...:WINK1::loll:
    :WINK1::thumbsup: We thought you could have a Poly Tunnel forum after all..!! There are a few people on here with them so a forum for you all seemed the way to go.. :D I shall look forward to your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Steve R

New Polytunnel

I've a load of ex-garden gazebo poles (large diameter verticals from the 'better' quality ones) that I thought about using for additional bracing, flattening/drilling the ends and fixing with...
    I've a load of ex-garden gazebo poles (large diameter verticals from the 'better' quality ones) that I thought about using for additional bracing, flattening/drilling the ends and fixing with something made from the thinnest metal straps sold at Wickes, also fitting something (tube, hardwood...
    I've a load of ex-garden gazebo poles (large diameter verticals from the 'better' quality ones) that I thought about using for additional bracing, flattening/drilling the ends and fixing with something made from the thinnest metal straps sold at...
    I've a load of ex-garden gazebo poles (large diameter verticals from the 'better' quality ones) that I thought about using for additional bracing, flattening/drilling the ends and fixing with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fretters

Plants in polytunnel

Hi Alice, Thanks for your advice, You would think after 3 years of growing veg here I'd be used to late frosts but obviously not ! I used to grow my Tomatoes in a sun room on the back of my south...
    Hi Alice, Thanks for your advice, You would think after 3 years of growing veg here I'd be used to late frosts but obviously not ! I used to grow my Tomatoes in a sun room on the back of my south facing house where they were lovely and warm, but sadly we had to take it down ! Where do I get...
    Hi Alice, Thanks for your advice, You would think after 3 years of growing veg here I'd be used to late frosts but obviously not ! I used to grow my Tomatoes in a sun room on the back of my south facing house where they were lovely and warm, but...
    Hi Alice, Thanks for your advice, You would think after 3 years of growing veg here I'd be used to late frosts but obviously not ! I used to grow my Tomatoes in a sun room on the back of my south...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. garden_fiend

polytunnel

If you dig a reasonably deep trench and bury the polythene it does help anchor the whole structure. If you fasten to a wooden rail you have the option of putting the rail higher up and putting...
    If you dig a reasonably deep trench and bury the polythene it does help anchor the whole structure. If you fasten to a wooden rail you have the option of putting the rail higher up and putting netting at the base to improve ventillation. You will need to st the base tubes in concrete though and...
    If you dig a reasonably deep trench and bury the polythene it does help anchor the whole structure. If you fasten to a wooden rail you have the option of putting the rail higher up and putting netting at the base to improve ventillation. You will...
    If you dig a reasonably deep trench and bury the polythene it does help anchor the whole structure. If you fasten to a wooden rail you have the option of putting the rail higher up and putting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. The horticulturist

Looking at a poly tunnel

The polytunnel covering would last a lot longer and be much easier to replace too. Poly doesn`t like high temperatures especially on a sharp edge. A cover in contact with treated/stained timber...
    The polytunnel covering would last a lot longer and be much easier to replace too. Poly doesn`t like high temperatures especially on a sharp edge. A cover in contact with treated/stained timber without any hotspot tape will act just like a solar collector :wink:
    The polytunnel covering would last a lot longer and be much easier to replace too. Poly doesn`t like high temperatures especially on a sharp edge. A cover in contact with treated/stained timber without any hotspot tape will act just like a solar...
    The polytunnel covering would last a lot longer and be much easier to replace too. Poly doesn`t like high temperatures especially on a sharp edge. A cover in contact with treated/stained timber...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. paddy_rice

Unwanted mushrooms in polytunnel!

Thanks John - we did indeed apply horse manure!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. moonrakermagpie

Tunnel vision!!!

I swear by enviromesh over water pipe hoops for all brasicas also leeks.Im not wonderfully convinced by poly cloches but enviromesh is worth it alone for the fact it stops butterflys further...
    I swear by enviromesh over water pipe hoops for all brasicas also leeks.Im not wonderfully convinced by poly cloches but enviromesh is worth it alone for the fact it stops butterflys further it creates a microclimate.
    I swear by enviromesh over water pipe hoops for all brasicas also leeks.Im not wonderfully convinced by poly cloches but enviromesh is worth it alone for the fact it stops butterflys further it creates a microclimate.
    I swear by enviromesh over water pipe hoops for all brasicas also leeks.Im not wonderfully convinced by poly cloches but enviromesh is worth it alone for the fact it stops butterflys further...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. men8ifr

Polytunnel

A polytunnel is a different proposition than a greenhouse they are more expensive to heat the temperature is suject to instant change they are difficult to ventillate and keep at a constant...
    A polytunnel is a different proposition than a greenhouse they are more expensive to heat the temperature is suject to instant change they are difficult to ventillate and keep at a constant temperature,having said that they will protect your plants from the wind and rain you would need to start...
    A polytunnel is a different proposition than a greenhouse they are more expensive to heat the temperature is suject to instant change they are difficult to ventillate and keep at a constant temperature,having said that they will protect your...
    A polytunnel is a different proposition than a greenhouse they are more expensive to heat the temperature is suject to instant change they are difficult to ventillate and keep at a constant...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice