1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2017

I am sure that's the secret. I was told by a Dipladenia nurseryman to give them no more than a cupful of water a month over the winter. I have also read recently on a house plant site that most...
    I am sure that's the secret. I was told by a Dipladenia nurseryman to give them no more than a cupful of water a month over the winter. I have also read recently on a house plant site that most houseplants are killed by overwatering.
    I am sure that's the secret. I was told by a Dipladenia nurseryman to give them no more than a cupful of water a month over the winter. I have also read recently on a house plant site that most houseplants are killed by overwatering.
    I am sure that's the secret. I was told by a Dipladenia nurseryman to give them no more than a cupful of water a month over the winter. I have also read recently on a house plant site that most...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

CANNA - 2017

The leaves go crispy on my C.altensteinii (which is in a pot) as well. Bit of a bother really as with them being so large it is really noticeable. C.paniculata doesn't suffer but it has been in...
    The leaves go crispy on my C.altensteinii (which is in a pot) as well. Bit of a bother really as with them being so large it is really noticeable. C.paniculata doesn't suffer but it has been in the ground for a couple of years now so the roots must be pretty deep and moist now.
    The leaves go crispy on my C.altensteinii (which is in a pot) as well. Bit of a bother really as with them being so large it is really noticeable. C.paniculata doesn't suffer but it has been in the ground for a couple of years now so the roots...
    The leaves go crispy on my C.altensteinii (which is in a pot) as well. Bit of a bother really as with them being so large it is really noticeable. C.paniculata doesn't suffer but it has been in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Like x 7

How to Germinate a Mango...!

My avocado plant 9months old
    DSC_3119.jpg DSC_3223.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Wayne
    Like x 4

A few pictures of last year's Brugmansia's

?? Never was fluent in Gibberish :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. catztail

brugmansia question

I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PeterS
    Like x 10

Cannas - 10 things you didn't know

Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Wayne
    Like x 6

Alan's Brugmansia Hurstwood Elinor

It is so pretty. I guess those are the species that I only get to enjoy watching from far, far away. It is too hot here. Thanks for sharing.
    It is so pretty. I guess those are the species that I only get to enjoy watching from far, far away. It is too hot here. Thanks for sharing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Hurstwood brugs.

Sphaerocarpium Brugmansia

Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is that they have the hardiness of the Arborea. Hope...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood Bryony  Quality (Large).JPG insertimage.gif attach.gif Hurstwood Elinor Black BG with star (Large).jpg Hurstwood Bow Black BG PS (Large).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. longk

Brugmansia sanguinea

Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome.AlanHurstwood Brugmansia
    Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome.AlanHurstwood Brugmansia
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. longk
    Like x 5

Furcraea

Billbergia just about survives outdoors here. Puya mirabilis croaked, P.coerulea var violacea did survive although it took a bit of a kicking but I've yet to try P.berteroniana outdoors.
    Billbergia just about survives outdoors here. Puya mirabilis croaked, P.coerulea var violacea did survive although it took a bit of a kicking but I've yet to try P.berteroniana outdoors.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Richard360
    Like x 3

Entada gigas Sea pea

Well a taller one anyway :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Conbrue

King Sago Palms

Not just me then. Thanks guys
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. PeterS
    Like x 13

The Jungle Garden - Nick Wilson - Leeds

I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8...
    I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8 1NXIt's well worth a visit.
    I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8 1NXIt's well worth a visit.
    I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8...
    article-2345727-1A6F6F2C000005DC-614_634x421.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PeterS
    Like x 5

Humidifier

Or to open a window - but they imply that someone must be there to do it. I got all my bits today for the extractor fan - just need the glass now. The extractor is in shining white which is out of...
    Or to open a window - but they imply that someone must be there to do it. I got all my bits today for the extractor fan - just need the glass now. The extractor is in shining white which is out of keeping with my sun room where everything is in brown mock wood. I spent an age looking for a brown...
    Or to open a window - but they imply that someone must be there to do it. I got all my bits today for the extractor fan - just need the glass now. The extractor is in shining white which is out of keeping with my sun room where everything is in...
    Or to open a window - but they imply that someone must be there to do it. I got all my bits today for the extractor fan - just need the glass now. The extractor is in shining white which is out of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pete
    Like x 4

Brugs 2017.

Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The...
    Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The really do not seem to like it too warm.
    Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The really do not seem to like it too warm.
    Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS

Identification please

Hi Victoria - I do have some seeds plus the balls - but I am not sure if they are ripe or will ripen. Lets wait a few days to let the seedlings settle down, and if all goes well I will send you...
    Hi Victoria - I do have some seeds plus the balls - but I am not sure if they are ripe or will ripen. Lets wait a few days to let the seedlings settle down, and if all goes well I will send you one of those. The least I could do for the only person to identify it.I am currently growing...
    Hi Victoria - I do have some seeds plus the balls - but I am not sure if they are ripe or will ripen. Lets wait a few days to let the seedlings settle down, and if all goes well I will send you one of those. The least I could do for the only...
    Hi Victoria - I do have some seeds plus the balls - but I am not sure if they are ripe or will ripen. Lets wait a few days to let the seedlings settle down, and if all goes well I will send you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mike77

Bamboo Fargesia Rufa

I have a 10 year old rufa. It does get slightly taller year by year. But I would say it's prob around 2 meters max.
    I have a 10 year old rufa. It does get slightly taller year by year. But I would say it's prob around 2 meters max.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 3

Jade Vines

It was next to the house wall and had the added benefits of the eaves helping to keep it pretty much dry and being in a huddle with other plants. It actually stayed evergreen.
    It was next to the house wall and had the added benefits of the eaves helping to keep it pretty much dry and being in a huddle with other plants. It actually stayed evergreen.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. kr236rk

Begonia advice please :)

Many thanks,A year on and the begonia has resurfaced! :-o Three leaves about the size of a 50p piece. At what stage should I start feeding it please - and with what especially?It 'dies' each...
    Many thanks,A year on and the begonia has resurfaced! :-o Three leaves about the size of a 50p piece. At what stage should I start feeding it please - and with what especially?It 'dies' each November and comes up again in June, it was planted out in May 2014, it was a potted hospital plant....
    Many thanks,A year on and the begonia has resurfaced! :-o Three leaves about the size of a 50p piece. At what stage should I start feeding it please - and with what especially?It 'dies' each November and comes up again in June, it was planted...
    Many thanks,A year on and the begonia has resurfaced! :-o Three leaves about the size of a 50p piece. At what stage should I start feeding it please - and with what especially?It 'dies' each...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. longk

Cordyline, Phormium and Yucca

And these :)
    CIMG0005.JPG IMG_1346.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 3

Bananas

The basjoo on it's 2nd leaf, 1st one shredded 3rd roller coming now. The sikkimensis on its 2nd leaf, 2 the 3 ensetes died but the biggest survived and is now in the garden in a 50L pot
    The basjoo on it's 2nd leaf, 1st one shredded 3rd roller coming now. The sikkimensis on its 2nd leaf, 2 the 3 ensetes died but the biggest survived and is now in the garden in a 50L pot
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. David Butler

Help with large outdoor plant !!

Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. noisette47

Propagating Hoya carnea

Thanks, pete....:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. PeterS
    Like x 6

Recent purchases

No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:
    No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. PeterS
    Like x 8

Why not grow something new

Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all...
    Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all new to me, and I operate a policy of the survival of the fittest. :biggrin:Actually, I must be honest, I...
    Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all new to me, and I operate a policy of the survival...
    Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ARMANDII
    Like x 8

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2015

There is a 2017 thread now
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. PeterS
    Like x 14

What's looking exotic in 2016

As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. mr c

overgrown lime tree

That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner and there'll be no looking back!
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. longk
    Like x 6

Passiflora and other "exotic" climbers

Sal, Good to see you back! How have you been?Lovely Passifloras
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options