Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. ARMANDII

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2018

Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week,...
    Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week, opened.Butia capitata, Chamaerops cerifera and Fatsia Spiders Web.Tradescantia fluminensis, it's...
    Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week, opened.Butia capitata, Chamaerops cerifera and...
    Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week,...
    2018_01080002.JPG 2018_01080003.JPG 2018_01080001.JPG 2018_01080004.JPG 2018_01080005.JPG 2018_01080006.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

CANNA 2018

Who's turn is it to start it this ?? :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. HarryS

Cordyline Protection ?

Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the...
    Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the garden is all I will do .
    Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the garden is all I will do .
    Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. longk
    Like x 5

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'

It certainly prefers the shorter daylight hours............. Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on FlickrPlectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on Flickr
    It certainly prefers the shorter daylight hours............. Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on FlickrPlectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PeterS
    Like x 12

Hill House - South Devon

I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was...
    I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was planted out in 2012 and remains there to this day even here in the chilly Cotswolds. In a pot I had...
    I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was planted out in 2012 and remains there to this day...
    I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sirius

Overwintering

I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty...
    I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty sodden, if I leave the likes of these plants out too late , then have problems drying then out when the...
    I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty sodden, if I leave the likes of these plants out too...
    I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. WeeTam

Root pruning potted Chusan palms ?

Quite a bit on the internet. 'Root Pruning, Stachy Palms.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Greybelle

Hawaiian Palm

The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second which was much larger whose leaves went yellow and...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Black Orchid

Urgent help wanted for my Hawaiian palm!

I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a week. First feel the earth and if it is still...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. longk
    Like x 4

Cubanola domingensis

Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I...
    Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I did germinate some seeds once - but they died.Very nice to see it. I have never seen it at Kew or...
    Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I did germinate some seeds once - but they...
    Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HarryS

Chamaerops Humilis leaf mark cure ?

Thanks for the answers , I'll get some rose blackspot spray today . I'll also try to improve my rather intermittent feeding regime . Would an application of palm feed every 2-3 weeks be about right ?
    Thanks for the answers , I'll get some rose blackspot spray today . I'll also try to improve my rather intermittent feeding regime . Would an application of palm feed every 2-3 weeks be about right ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. andrews

Seed Ideas Needed

You mentioned Echeveria earlier. We have an Echeveria thread here..............Share your Echeveria photos and chat here
    You mentioned Echeveria earlier. We have an Echeveria thread here..............Share your Echeveria photos and chat here
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. CanadianLori

King Protea- growing for dummies..

@CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have...
    @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have shown it is a good substitute. I dilute the liquid to weak tea colour and soak seeds in it overnight....
    @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have shown it is a good substitute. I dilute the liquid...
    @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Tara100

Do insecticides damage banana plants?

I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on...
    I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on the problem, often nature sorts out this kind of thing. If the new leaves start to get distorted...
    I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on the problem, often nature sorts out this kind of...
    I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. AbiJ

Help needed, dying palm

Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the...
    Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the fence, perhaps it strays over their side when in full leaf;) Hint hint, nudge nudge.
    Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the fence, perhaps it strays over their side when in...
    Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. stephenprudence

Question regarding Citrus

Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I grew poncirus outside for many years and new growth was earlier than this, but if the calamondin is...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I grew poncirus outside for many years and new...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. strongylodon
    Like x 3

Tillandsia

How cute. I see one in the middle, green and an old one lower right. I don't have any right not but I have had it and it had flowered allot...
    How cute. I see one in the middle, green and an old one lower right. I don't have any right not but I have had it and it had flowered allot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Selleri

So I bought some cacti and succulent seeds. Any tips?

I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon...
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been zillions of years since I grew them from seeds....
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been...
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Peter K

Cactus

Cor :):):):):):):)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. pete
    Like x 15

Palm Sunday

I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a...
    I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a thought, but maybe a few months of soaking the stem might induce stronger rooting.This is at the base...
    I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a thought, but maybe a few months of soaking the stem...
    I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a...
    DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0109.JPG DSC_0110.JPG DSC_0112.JPG DSC_0113.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice