All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. pete
    Like x 4

Brugs 2017.

Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The...
    Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The really do not seem to like it too warm.
    Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The really do not seem to like it too warm.
    Yep, I can see it now, good flush of flowers, believe it or not I often find they are at there best late summer early autumn even over here, when we start to get damper nights and cooler. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Mike77

Bamboo Fargesia Rufa

I have a 10 year old rufa. It does get slightly taller year by year. But I would say it's prob around 2 meters max.
    I have a 10 year old rufa. It does get slightly taller year by year. But I would say it's prob around 2 meters max.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. PeterS
    Like x 3

Jade Vines

It was next to the house wall and had the added benefits of the eaves helping to keep it pretty much dry and being in a huddle with other plants. It actually stayed evergreen.
    It was next to the house wall and had the added benefits of the eaves helping to keep it pretty much dry and being in a huddle with other plants. It actually stayed evergreen.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. longk

Cordyline, Phormium and Yucca

And these :)
    CIMG0005.JPG IMG_1346.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PeterS
    Like x 3

Bananas

The basjoo on it's 2nd leaf, 1st one shredded 3rd roller coming now. The sikkimensis on its 2nd leaf, 2 the 3 ensetes died but the biggest survived and is now in the garden in a 50L pot
    The basjoo on it's 2nd leaf, 1st one shredded 3rd roller coming now. The sikkimensis on its 2nd leaf, 2 the 3 ensetes died but the biggest survived and is now in the garden in a 50L pot
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. David Butler

Help with large outdoor plant !!

Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. noisette47

Propagating Hoya carnea

Thanks, pete....:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. PeterS
    Like x 6

Recent purchases

No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:
    No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 8

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2015

There is a 2017 thread now
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. PeterS
    Like x 14

What's looking exotic in 2016

As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mr c

overgrown lime tree

That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner and there'll be no looking back!
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. miraflores

tropical

If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats the problem. Don't feed it until you can establish...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. joolz68
    Like x 7

Canna 2016

Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    aug 11th (1).JPG 20160424-P4240021.jpg canna.jpg DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0112.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. youngalistai

are salvias under tropicals?

It is a member of the mint family as are Salvia. The threads title is a little confusing but we get there in the end.
    It is a member of the mint family as are Salvia. The threads title is a little confusing but we get there in the end.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tara100

A couple of banana plant queries :)

@Tara100Seems you can get it via Amazon or Bit pricey though may be cheaper via ebay
    @Tara100Seems you can get it via Amazon or Bit pricey though may be cheaper via ebay
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. John Harruison
    Like x 3

End of season garden update.

Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or...
    Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or even hot days on a few occasions. Far too much whingeing about the weather, it is what it is. We'd...
    Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or even hot days on a few occasions. Far too much...
    Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Bilbo675
    Like x 4

Cannas 2015

Thanks
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. TMAK

Starting a tropical looking garden

Out of curiosity what colour would ye suggest to paint the fence ?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Out of curiosity what colour would ye suggest to paint the fence ?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul Blackburn

How to prune a Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' Potato Plant

Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third.Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft...
    Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third.Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft growth to tidy it up a bit. Problem with that is, of course, you would lose out on their beautiful...
    Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third.Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft growth to tidy it up a bit. Problem with that is,...
    Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third.Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 3

Trailing plants

Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one.Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that...
    Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one.Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that I have been overwatering things over winter.I try not to water too much, but I recently read a...
    Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one.Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that I have been overwatering things over winter.I...
    Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one.Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice