Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. PeterS

Air plants

That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup:Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must...
    That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup:Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must make it pretty hit or miss growing them in the UK, unless you spend a lot of time misting them.
    That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup:Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must make it pretty hit or miss growing them in the UK,...
    That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup:Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. AlexP

How do I move my palm tree?

With the size of root ball needed to make sure it lives would be too heavy to lift, forget selling it, it's not something that can be put in the back of a car. You could cut it down to ground...
    With the size of root ball needed to make sure it lives would be too heavy to lift, forget selling it, it's not something that can be put in the back of a car. You could cut it down to ground level but new shoots will eventually replace it.
    With the size of root ball needed to make sure it lives would be too heavy to lift, forget selling it, it's not something that can be put in the back of a car. You could cut it down to ground level but new shoots will eventually replace it.
    With the size of root ball needed to make sure it lives would be too heavy to lift, forget selling it, it's not something that can be put in the back of a car. You could cut it down to ground...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sirius
    Like x 5

Tropical Palms & Other

Polypodium polypodioidesA really nice epiphytic fern.I saw quite a few clumps that looked dead. But did a bit of reading, and apparently, with a bit of rain, they will revive.
    Polypodium polypodioidesA really nice epiphytic fern.I saw quite a few clumps that looked dead. But did a bit of reading, and apparently, with a bit of rain, they will revive.
    IMG_6031.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6315.JPG IMG_6122.JPG IMG_6028.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Victoria

ID / Confirmation of Fruit - SOLVED

Yes, my money's on pepino. The flowers are Solanaceae. Persimmon, as others have said, is a small tree with nondescript flowers and 4 prominent sepals. I used to live in China and my neighbours...
    Yes, my money's on pepino. The flowers are Solanaceae. Persimmon, as others have said, is a small tree with nondescript flowers and 4 prominent sepals. I used to live in China and my neighbours had one that shed spent flowers over the wall.
    Yes, my money's on pepino. The flowers are Solanaceae. Persimmon, as others have said, is a small tree with nondescript flowers and 4 prominent sepals. I used to live in China and my neighbours had one that shed spent flowers over the wall.
    Yes, my money's on pepino. The flowers are Solanaceae. Persimmon, as others have said, is a small tree with nondescript flowers and 4 prominent sepals. I used to live in China and my neighbours...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. noisette47

Habenaria and Tacca

Lovely photos, @longk! Um, observant is my middle name:biggrin: @shiney, just so long as they don't look like what you eat at your local Mexican:heehee: I'm going to have a go at one of the Taccas, the other one...
    Lovely photos, @longk! Um, observant is my middle name:biggrin: @shiney, just so long as they don't look like what you eat at your local Mexican:heehee: I'm going to have a go at one of the Taccas, the other one and the Habenaria are for a friend. I potted them up for her...she's on her own now:whistle: Thanks again for...
    Lovely photos, @longk! Um, observant is my middle name:biggrin: @shiney, just so long as they don't look like what you eat at your local Mexican:heehee: I'm going to have a go at one of the Taccas, the other one and the Habenaria are for a friend. I potted them...
    Lovely photos, @longk! Um, observant is my middle name:biggrin: @shiney, just so long as they don't look like what you eat at your local Mexican:heehee: I'm going to have a go at one of the Taccas, the other one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Richard360

Tetrapanax papyrifer

i think it is John. i've left 3 ensettes out all winter, the biggest one 3 years old also, and they have survived. pushing up new rollers as we speak. it has been mild, although very wet, and we...
    i think it is John. i've left 3 ensettes out all winter, the biggest one 3 years old also, and they have survived. pushing up new rollers as we speak. it has been mild, although very wet, and we have had quite a few frosts too.
    i think it is John. i've left 3 ensettes out all winter, the biggest one 3 years old also, and they have survived. pushing up new rollers as we speak. it has been mild, although very wet, and we have had quite a few frosts too.
    i think it is John. i've left 3 ensettes out all winter, the biggest one 3 years old also, and they have survived. pushing up new rollers as we speak. it has been mild, although very wet, and we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PeterS

Giant banana - Ensete montbeliardii

Yup. Any banana growing in an exposed site looks manky.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Conbrue

Phoenix Palms advice please

I just feed mine, when I think about it, on a balanced plant feed with trace elements. Usually add some osmocote when repotting.
    I just feed mine, when I think about it, on a balanced plant feed with trace elements. Usually add some osmocote when repotting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Wayne
    Like x 4

A few pictures of last year's Brugmansia's

?? Never was fluent in Gibberish :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. IceColdRum

Avocado Houseplant?

Yep, @Anthony Rogers , that is why I said "there also is" so @IceColdRum could see other house plants also. Some are mine. and its a longer thread.
    Yep, @Anthony Rogers , that is why I said "there also is" so @IceColdRum could see other house plants also. Some are mine. and its a longer thread.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. KyreCookie

Tropical (?) health advice

Thank you both
    Thank you both
    Thank you both
    Thank you both
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. noisette47

Sesbania grandiflora

Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will...
    Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will try again (I still have seed) but in a cool room with a bit of humidity.
    Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will try again (I still have seed) but in a cool room...
    Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. WeeTam
    Like x 4

Yucca too big? Off with its head !

Nice tree. I don't think I'd have had the courage to do it :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Ian Taylor

something spiney

I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade...
    I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade and our winters. I know thats asking a lot :).
    I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade and our winters. I know thats asking a lot :).
    I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK

Sarracenia overwintering

Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive...
    Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive collection many years ago but I had to sell on. All being well I will be installing a couple of...
    Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive collection many years ago but I had to sell on. All...
    Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Pebo

What can I plant now.. Suggestions welcome.

Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hydrogardener

Pineapple

Apparently you can make them fruit at any time, within reason of course, by introducing ethylene gas. Ripe bananas, apples etc. give off this gas.
    Apparently you can make them fruit at any time, within reason of course, by introducing ethylene gas. Ripe bananas, apples etc. give off this gas.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Pebo

Dracululus Vulgaris and Basjoo questions

Hi Pete - up near Blackburn. Fire me a pm and I'll send you details Cheers Ben
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Pebo

Massive Basjoo in flower.. Manchester

My thoughts are that a stem of that size is unlikely to have grown from the ground this year
    My thoughts are that a stem of that size is unlikely to have grown from the ground this year
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dips

When should i bring my brug inside

Not actually Brugs, and as longk says, quite a bit hardier.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice