Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. simon n

When do Ensettes hit the garden centres?

When all danger of frosts has gone, that's when most of the tender stuff starts to appear - could be late May or June around us.
    When all danger of frosts has gone, that's when most of the tender stuff starts to appear - could be late May or June around us.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Jason85

Washington robusta

Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are...
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are difficult to separate, so best left alone.
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are difficult to separate, so best left alone.
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jason85

Canary Island palm

Pete I took your advise and should have a trachycarpus fortunei delivered in next day or so
    Pete I took your advise and should have a trachycarpus fortunei delivered in next day or so
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. sal73

Lapageria

I've just found buds on mine!! :hapfeet::hapydancsmil::yahoo::yes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. longk

Musschia wollastonii

Here is one of my plants a year on...............One thing that I have learnt is that the roots are very sensitive as I lost a lot due to clumsy pricking out.
    Here is one of my plants a year on...............One thing that I have learnt is that the roots are very sensitive as I lost a lot due to clumsy pricking out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sal73

Silverhill seeds

I thought that I would add this site to this thread. Very good source of info that can be used to find out more about your choices if they're listed.
    I thought that I would add this site to this thread. Very good source of info that can be used to find out more about your choices if they're listed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PeterS

I like the price - but what have I bought ?

Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It...
    Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It will be interesting to see how it copes.
    Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It will be interesting to see how it copes.
    Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 6

Palm Rescue

Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter....
    Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter.I've also cut off large amounts of root on pot grown CIDPs when repotting only to find masses of new...
    Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter.I've also cut off large amounts of root on pot grown...
    Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. noisette47

Passiflora germination

Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order...
    Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order multiple items without paying multiple postage:redface: I contacted him to ask, but no reply to date..... Will have...
    Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order multiple items without paying multiple postage:redface: I...
    Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HarryS

Canna Selection Advice

I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold...
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold water and get great germination rates
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold water and get great germination rates
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. longk

Senna/Cassia bicapsularis

That's half the fun :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PeterS
    Like x 3

What's looking exotic in January 2015

Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking...
    Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking at intervals, but didn't know what I was looking for. I will have a closer look tomorrow.
    Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking at intervals, but didn't know what I was looking...
    Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. sal73

Rare Plants

Ha ha ha!! You're beginning to see it as I do!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sal73

Cannas Rhizomes

I don't think they would collapse John. The worst they could do is get a bit leggy. It may be worth a try as an experiment.
    I don't think they would collapse John. The worst they could do is get a bit leggy. It may be worth a try as an experiment.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. longk
    Like x 6

Winter surprises

After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I haven't forgotten, just a bit housebound with my other...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kitty

Bromeliad

The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we...
    The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we can't ID it for her .
    The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we can't ID it for her .
    The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. longk

Help needed - one for the plant finders here

I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a...
    I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a "consortium" together.
    I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a "consortium" together.
    I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. John Harruison

Gloriosa superba

To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the...
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the end of the season.
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the end of the season.
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jono

Coconuts!!!!!!

Also trying grapes from seed and cuttings. As I have seen both done on youtube....
    Also trying grapes from seed and cuttings. As I have seen both done on youtube....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. strongylodon
    Like x 7

What's Looking Exotic in November

I have to agree. It's a luscious blood red now with well defined veining as well.
    I have to agree. It's a luscious blood red now with well defined veining as well.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice