All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. hydrogardener
    Like x 4

Black Pearl

It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from...
    It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from the site: Mgambo is a little gem of a tree native to East Africa. Only 15' tall in captivity, it...
    It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from the site: Mgambo is a little gem of a tree native...
    It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sal73

begonia luxurians , hardy ginger, colocasia tea cup.

@sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example,...
    @sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example, most plants that I've had are second year plants requiring a one metre box for mail order. P&P is not...
    @sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example, most plants that I've had are second year plants...
    @sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kristen

What's Looking Exotic In October 2013

I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve...
    I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve I'm going to find them a new owner :)
    I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve I'm going to find them a new owner :)
    I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Bilbo675
    Like x 3

Ensete 'maurelii' - Another Attempt

I'm leaving the Musella and the basjoo outside, Sal. I intend giving them a bit of protection, but if they dont make it I have replacements as both sucker quite well.
    I'm leaving the Musella and the basjoo outside, Sal. I intend giving them a bit of protection, but if they dont make it I have replacements as both sucker quite well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. longk
    Like x 10

Royal Toad Lily

Thanks Fern! The best thing about it is that the colours in real life are as good as in the first photo that I saw of it!
    Thanks Fern! The best thing about it is that the colours in real life are as good as in the first photo that I saw of it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. longk
    Like x 6

Don't Throw the Baby Out With the Bath Water!

Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up...
    Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up the courage to dry out my seed grown Gloriosa lutea for their first winter rest.
    Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up the courage to dry out my seed grown Gloriosa...
    Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. hydrogardener

Supplemental lighting

@JWK That's rather low overnight temps for tomatoes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kristen

What's Looking Exotic In September 2013

New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Barefootgardens

Advice re Hydroponics please?

Apparently if you call it a scientific experiment there is no failure, only lessons learned! ;)
    Apparently if you call it a scientific experiment there is no failure, only lessons learned! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. NewGardener 11

Ornamental Grass and Palm Trees?

I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia...
    I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia scabrida is a fantastic, fairly new introduction. Might be a bit difficult to track down, but well with...
    I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia scabrida is a fantastic, fairly new introduction....
    I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Richard360

Nepenthes 'Ventrata' monkey pitcher

Warmth and humidity are the key to keeping Nepenthes pitchers going.I personally don't think you need to feed the pitchers. In fact, if you overfeed, it will hasten their demise. There will...
    Warmth and humidity are the key to keeping Nepenthes pitchers going.I personally don't think you need to feed the pitchers. In fact, if you overfeed, it will hasten their demise. There will probably be a few fungus gnats in the soil and any other bugs they might catch is more than enough...
    Warmth and humidity are the key to keeping Nepenthes pitchers going.I personally don't think you need to feed the pitchers. In fact, if you overfeed, it will hasten their demise. There will probably be a few fungus gnats in the soil and any...
    Warmth and humidity are the key to keeping Nepenthes pitchers going.I personally don't think you need to feed the pitchers. In fact, if you overfeed, it will hasten their demise. There will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Coolsox

Bilbergia nutans variegata

I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small...
    I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small ones in 9cm pots, some with a little root and some without. I waited till the flowers had long...
    I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small ones in 9cm pots, some with a little root and some...
    I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. hydrogardener

Ecbolium viride - Green Ice Crossandra

Thank you ever so much hydrogarden , the nice thing about using the forum is that we never stop learning new trick , let me see if i can find one ;)
    Thank you ever so much hydrogarden , the nice thing about using the forum is that we never stop learning new trick , let me see if i can find one ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Coolsox
    Like x 4

Aristolochia trilobata

Coolsox, Very nice. I love this genus for its wierd flowers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. longk
    Like x 6

What's looking exotic in August 2013

At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella...
    At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella Lasiocarpa was going to flower this year, but its not quite gotten too it. It has produced a couple of...
    At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella Lasiocarpa was going to flower this year, but its...
    At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. longk

Mackaya bella

One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten...
    One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten seeds has so far produced five seedlings at the three week mark.....................As if that's...
    One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten seeds has so far produced five seedlings at the...
    One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten...
    DSC_1323.jpg DSC_1320.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hydrogardener

Aeroponic cloning

Six is just about perfect for this type of system.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. zappamusic2010

Ricinus Communis Carmencita

Dead presumably ... given how poisonous Ricinus are! Seems like a suicidal plant to
    Dead presumably ... given how poisonous Ricinus are! Seems like a suicidal plant to
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Polinizator

Argyreia nervosa

I`ve never growed one as it`s a really slow grower and the roots are really invasive ....really can help ...but welcome to the forum
    I`ve never growed one as it`s a really slow grower and the roots are really invasive ....really can help ...but welcome to the forum
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sirius
    Like x 7

Trachycarpus

It looks a lot smaller than in the pot. Hopefully it won't take too long to get going.
    It looks a lot smaller than in the pot. Hopefully it won't take too long to get going.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice