All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Sirius
    Like x 3

Aloes

I think you are right with Brevifolia Sirius. It will be interesting to see how they have fared in a month or so.
    I think you are right with Brevifolia Sirius. It will be interesting to see how they have fared in a month or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. longk
    Like x 3

Strelitzia juncea

Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the...
    Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the outside axils which are younger, or just the central ones?
    Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the outside axils which are younger, or just the...
    Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. longk

Splitting an Agave?

Hi I have got one outside but it is under cover, and so far, seems fine.It also has a lot of pups attached and I'm going to have a go at removing mine come May
    Hi I have got one outside but it is under cover, and so far, seems fine.It also has a lot of pups attached and I'm going to have a go at removing mine come May
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Stingo

Ceropegia Woodii

Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves...
    Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves from all the nodes,I then snip off the stems joining each rooted node and pot them up in a gritty...
    Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves from all the nodes,I then snip off the stems joining...
    Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sirius

Utricularia

Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds...
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds need time, but are not too difficult to germinate.
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds need time, but are not too difficult to germinate.
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. thered

Tree fern help is it dead?

Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll...
    Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll on it to the extent that the struggle to survive was just too much this year.
    Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll on it to the extent that the struggle to survive...
    Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. sal73

Palm grass setaria palmifolia

While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I...
    While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I realised that it was setaria palmifolia never seen it before and i was quite surprice to see that actually...
    While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I realised that it was setaria palmifolia never seen it...
    While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Resonate

Orchid Pic

It is a species Paph...Gratixianum :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. TiraMisuSH

Can you plant succulents in a cast iron skillet?

My husband does the drilling and tough work, he likes the fact I save money by recycling items in the house for my garden needs instead of spending money on new pots and gardening goodies. Its...
    My husband does the drilling and tough work, he likes the fact I save money by recycling items in the house for my garden needs instead of spending money on new pots and gardening goodies. Its probably his way of saying "Thanks for not spending tons of cash on your gardening whims and wants."...
    My husband does the drilling and tough work, he likes the fact I save money by recycling items in the house for my garden needs instead of spending money on new pots and gardening goodies. Its probably his way of saying "Thanks for not spending...
    My husband does the drilling and tough work, he likes the fact I save money by recycling items in the house for my garden needs instead of spending money on new pots and gardening goodies. Its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Craig1987

Hardy banana plant

That's definitely F1 :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jungle Jane

I've been very neglectful towards my Orchid.....

Take the plant out of the soil and pour some water over all the roots. The ones that go green are alive. The ones that don't are dead and can be cut off.
    Take the plant out of the soil and pour some water over all the roots. The ones that go green are alive. The ones that don't are dead and can be cut off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sal73

Wasabi

Suttons sell wasaby roots ......so no need to go to a Japanese restaurant
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. sal73

Any one moved the bananas out yet?

P.S. I put all my tender plants out a couple of days ago. Night Min. here forecast for 10C (well, probably 8C) all week, so they went out and will stay out - until we get another frost forecast. ...
    P.S. I put all my tender plants out a couple of days ago. Night Min. here forecast for 10C (well, probably 8C) all week, so they went out and will stay out - until we get another frost forecast. Much easier than out-and-back-in-again which is necessary if it is colder at night.
    P.S. I put all my tender plants out a couple of days ago. Night Min. here forecast for 10C (well, probably 8C) all week, so they went out and will stay out - until we get another frost forecast. Much easier than out-and-back-in-again which is...
    P.S. I put all my tender plants out a couple of days ago. Night Min. here forecast for 10C (well, probably 8C) all week, so they went out and will stay out - until we get another frost forecast. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. miraflores

new kiwi fruit on the market

I had them in New Zealand and apparently a virus is killing all the plants , called golden kiwi , are actually really sweet . recently in Uk i bought some kiwi berry
    I had them in New Zealand and apparently a virus is killing all the plants , called golden kiwi , are actually really sweet . recently in Uk i bought some kiwi berry
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. miraflores

some exotic plants

Interesting Java - there are just so many plants that we ( well I) have never heard of.
    Interesting Java - there are just so many plants that we ( well I) have never heard of.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Wayne
    Like x 6

For Sal, Brugmansia Mobisu

Thanks Wayne , the one in the picture is not mine , the picture is from internet ...... I was about to buy one and they told me that mobisu can carry virus and it would have been to my risk .......
    Thanks Wayne , the one in the picture is not mine , the picture is from internet ...... I was about to buy one and they told me that mobisu can carry virus and it would have been to my risk .......
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sal73

Orach red

It is a bit of a bully but not so bad.. My friend grows it & this is what she says..
    It is a bit of a bully but not so bad.. My friend grows it & this is what she says..
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. al n

Musa bajoo, slow to start

:wow: I've gotta grow one!!!! :dancy: Val
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. longk

Is it me or my Agave that is confused?

Thanks Pete. I potted them up this afternoon in exactly that mix.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Happy54

Any one in UK growing Moringa

here are some info: -seeds germinate easily, to 98% after 15 days and the plant that reproduces well from cuttings, can be in any soil, even if it grows more quickly with rich soils and...
    here are some info: -seeds germinate easily, to 98% after 15 days and the plant that reproduces well from cuttings, can be in any soil, even if it grows more quickly with rich soils and limestone 2 - the plant can bloom and bear fruit already after 11 months from sowing 3 - comes from Africa...
    here are some info: -seeds germinate easily, to 98% after 15 days and the plant that reproduces well from cuttings, can be in any soil, even if it grows more quickly with rich soils and limestone 2 - the plant can bloom and bear fruit already...
    here are some info: -seeds germinate easily, to 98% after 15 days and the plant that reproduces well from cuttings, can be in any soil, even if it grows more quickly with rich soils and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice