Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. NewGardener 11

Ornamental Grass and Palm Trees?

I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia...
    I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia scabrida is a fantastic, fairly new introduction. Might be a bit difficult to track down, but well with...
    I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia scabrida is a fantastic, fairly new introduction....
    I am going to suggest a bamboo. One of the Fargesia. This is a clumping, non-invasive genus, that doesn't get out of control. And it will complement the tropical look of the Palms.Fargesia...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Barefootgardens

Advice re Hydroponics please?

Apparently if you call it a scientific experiment there is no failure, only lessons learned! ;)
    Apparently if you call it a scientific experiment there is no failure, only lessons learned! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kristen

What's Looking Exotic In September 2013

New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. hydrogardener

Supplemental lighting

@JWK That's rather low overnight temps for tomatoes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. longk
    Like x 6

Don't Throw the Baby Out With the Bath Water!

Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up...
    Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up the courage to dry out my seed grown Gloriosa lutea for their first winter rest.
    Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up the courage to dry out my seed grown Gloriosa...
    Mine are a little behind yours at the moment Peter. They'll be in the g/house with a little heat this winter I'm afraid as my front room hits 25°c once I get the fire going!I'm just building up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. longk
    Like x 10

Royal Toad Lily

Thanks Fern! The best thing about it is that the colours in real life are as good as in the first photo that I saw of it!
    Thanks Fern! The best thing about it is that the colours in real life are as good as in the first photo that I saw of it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Bilbo675
    Like x 3

Ensete 'maurelii' - Another Attempt

I'm leaving the Musella and the basjoo outside, Sal. I intend giving them a bit of protection, but if they dont make it I have replacements as both sucker quite well.
    I'm leaving the Musella and the basjoo outside, Sal. I intend giving them a bit of protection, but if they dont make it I have replacements as both sucker quite well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kristen

What's Looking Exotic In October 2013

I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve...
    I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve I'm going to find them a new owner :)
    I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve I'm going to find them a new owner :)
    I'm also certain that I've had longer inflorescences on Hedychium greenii in previous years, but mine have been like yours this year ... apart from their ease of propagation if they don't improve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sal73

begonia luxurians , hardy ginger, colocasia tea cup.

@sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example,...
    @sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example, most plants that I've had are second year plants requiring a one metre box for mail order. P&P is not...
    @sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example, most plants that I've had are second year plants...
    @sal73 - if you went to Harrys' link then the Begonia would have been a big plant. I've been there a few times, ordered on the net a couple of times too and totally swear by them. For example,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. hydrogardener
    Like x 4

Black Pearl

It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from...
    It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from the site: Mgambo is a little gem of a tree native to East Africa. Only 15' tall in captivity, it...
    It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from the site: Mgambo is a little gem of a tree native...
    It flowers and produces a large, hard, black berry. I purchased six seeds, started two and two weeks later had two plants. The plant in the photo is four months old. Here is the information from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. hydrogardener

Tabernaemontana divaricata

we have a large shrub of Tabernaemontana outsidemy office window...it's rather boring if I'm honest and have never noticed any scent....that's a complimentary pic of it though ;-)
    we have a large shrub of Tabernaemontana outsidemy office window...it's rather boring if I'm honest and have never noticed any scent....that's a complimentary pic of it though ;-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kristen
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jazmine

my yucca

Thanks Pete, I am so pleased at it being the first one! I keep checking it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS

Canna ~2013~

Thanks pete :dbgrtmb: I'll cut off the stem now on the smaller rhizome pieces and let them dry . I store all my rhizomes in slightly damp compost . My big ( now huge ! ) Canna rhizomes I'll divide when...
    Thanks pete :dbgrtmb: I'll cut off the stem now on the smaller rhizome pieces and let them dry . I store all my rhizomes in slightly damp compost . My big ( now huge ! ) Canna rhizomes I'll divide when potting up in March.
    Thanks pete :dbgrtmb: I'll cut off the stem now on the smaller rhizome pieces and let them dry . I store all my rhizomes in slightly damp compost . My big ( now huge ! ) Canna rhizomes I'll divide when potting up in March.
    Thanks pete :dbgrtmb: I'll cut off the stem now on the smaller rhizome pieces and let them dry . I store all my rhizomes in slightly damp compost . My big ( now huge ! ) Canna rhizomes I'll divide when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sal73
    Like x 3

Variegated and Chimeras

Don't know if @sal73 has seen this yet Rochelle. I've tagged him for you :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Wayne
    Like x 8

Brugmansias

I would like to give them a trim as they take loads of space in the greenhouse , but as one is flowering and the other is making seeds , will leave like that . I really wanted to create some...
    I would like to give them a trim as they take loads of space in the greenhouse , but as one is flowering and the other is making seeds , will leave like that . I really wanted to create some hybrids but don`t have many variety at the monent , but I`ve notice that thepink brugmansia produce...
    I would like to give them a trim as they take loads of space in the greenhouse , but as one is flowering and the other is making seeds , will leave like that . I really wanted to create some hybrids but don`t have many variety at the monent ,...
    I would like to give them a trim as they take loads of space in the greenhouse , but as one is flowering and the other is making seeds , will leave like that . I really wanted to create some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Coolsox

New Bird Of Paradise....

This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems...
    This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of 19c, be kept moist and as much light as...
    This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of...
    This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 7

Happy Chappies

Love that Canna creamy stripe Sal :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. hydrogardener
    Like x 3

Jasminum sambac Maid of Orleans

It would be handy if I could apply that regime to a few of my tender plants!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. longk

Anyone grown Beschorneria from seed?

Thanks guys!The attraction of this unknown Beschorneria species are twofold;1] It is genuinely dwarf in the foliage (but the flower spike is not a lot smaller) so it is easy to overwinter...
    Thanks guys!The attraction of this unknown Beschorneria species are twofold;1] It is genuinely dwarf in the foliage (but the flower spike is not a lot smaller) so it is easy to overwinter under cover. 2] It can go from seed to flower in a year apparently.
    Thanks guys!The attraction of this unknown Beschorneria species are twofold;1] It is genuinely dwarf in the foliage (but the flower spike is not a lot smaller) so it is easy to overwinter under cover. 2] It can go from seed to flower in a...
    Thanks guys!The attraction of this unknown Beschorneria species are twofold;1] It is genuinely dwarf in the foliage (but the flower spike is not a lot smaller) so it is easy to overwinter...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice