Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. John Harruison

Garden videos on the last day of spring.

Excellent John - some plants are already a good size.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Ian Taylor
    Like x 5

Tropical Garden so far

I've planted a Clematis otophora, its a species clematis, comes from western and central China, with bright yellow flowers.
    I've planted a Clematis otophora, its a species clematis, comes from western and central China, with bright yellow flowers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. John Harruison
    Like x 6

June 2014 garden update

They are Phoenix canariensis,
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. simon n

I cut down my Cannas, don't know if i should have?

I just pull off the individual flower (petals) that have finished, to "tidy it up a bit"
    I just pull off the individual flower (petals) that have finished, to "tidy it up a bit"
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Ian Taylor

Wollemia pine

I've done a lot of research about them before I bought one. It came with full growing instructions and a certificate of authenticity. We're going to grow it in a large terracotta pot.
    I've done a lot of research about them before I bought one. It came with full growing instructions and a certificate of authenticity. We're going to grow it in a large terracotta pot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. John Harruison
    Like x 7

Midsummer garden video update

Thanks John - thats very helpful. It shows what can be done with a big plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. John Harruison

Belfast sink arid planters.

On seeing your planters I thought you might be interested in this article ;
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK

Tip broken off Cordyline - is it a gonner?

Hahaha ... NOW I see the canes :) I think I was distracted by the bench before ... :)
    Hahaha ... NOW I see the canes :) I think I was distracted by the bench before ... :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Monty33

Can anyone diagnose my Cordylline ?

Firstly, take it out the pot, wash off the roots and cut away all the dead ones, if the stem seems soft at the bottom you will need to keep cutting upwards until you find good tissue with no blac...
    Firstly, take it out the pot, wash off the roots and cut away all the dead ones, if the stem seems soft at the bottom you will need to keep cutting upwards until you find good tissue with no blac rot or soft bits. You then let it dry for a day and pot into gritty compost in the smallest pot...
    Firstly, take it out the pot, wash off the roots and cut away all the dead ones, if the stem seems soft at the bottom you will need to keep cutting upwards until you find good tissue with no blac rot or soft bits. You then let it dry for a day...
    Firstly, take it out the pot, wash off the roots and cut away all the dead ones, if the stem seems soft at the bottom you will need to keep cutting upwards until you find good tissue with no blac...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. IGraham

Brugmansia safe pest control

Hi An update on the use of Provado Ultimate Fruit & Vegetable Bug Killer on my Brug's I wont be using it again on my Brug's, I sprayed three of the four I have, the one I didn't spray continues to...
    Hi An update on the use of Provado Ultimate Fruit & Vegetable Bug Killer on my Brug's I wont be using it again on my Brug's, I sprayed three of the four I have, the one I didn't spray continues to grow and looks healthy. Unfortunately (comparing to the one I didn't spray) the three I sprayed...
    Hi An update on the use of Provado Ultimate Fruit & Vegetable Bug Killer on my Brug's I wont be using it again on my Brug's, I sprayed three of the four I have, the one I didn't spray continues to grow and looks healthy. Unfortunately (comparing...
    Hi An update on the use of Provado Ultimate Fruit & Vegetable Bug Killer on my Brug's I wont be using it again on my Brug's, I sprayed three of the four I have, the one I didn't spray continues to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Richard360

Colocasia Gigateae Elepant Ear Alocasia.

:thumbsup: ta Longk , I think more to come as well :love30: I will take another photo September Lets hope I get it through another winter , wont be much space left in the greenhouse though :snork:
    :thumbsup: ta Longk , I think more to come as well :love30: I will take another photo September Lets hope I get it through another winter , wont be much space left in the greenhouse though :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kristen
    Like x 5

Plants with Large Leaves 2014

Naw! It's a large leaf with a bird standing on it - specifically to illustrate the size of the leaf.As soon as I'd taken the picture I told him he could fly away :heehee:
    Naw! It's a large leaf with a bird standing on it - specifically to illustrate the size of the leaf.As soon as I'd taken the picture I told him he could fly away :heehee:
    DSC_0176.JPG DSC_0171.JPG DSC_0177.JPG DSC_0172.JPG DSC_0180.JPG 132_3205.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Victoria

Bougainvillea Sport

Lovely Bougainvillea Pete - and what a healthy looking Strelitzia too. I still can't believe that its all growing outside for you.
    Lovely Bougainvillea Pete - and what a healthy looking Strelitzia too. I still can't believe that its all growing outside for you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK
    Like x 5

Giant Agave smashes through greenhouse

If you land on the central spike its certain death.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sal73

Perlavilla

Agree with JazzSi...it's just a 'publicity' name for Mandevilla syn. Dipladenia!
    Agree with JazzSi...it's just a 'publicity' name for Mandevilla syn. Dipladenia!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sal73

Aristolachia surprise

Sal, could be. Hard to be sure without seeing flowers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sal73
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS

Acanthacea - the Acanthus family

That is exactly where I found it! Coincidences abound! I used Top Tropicals as I was looking for better photos/info. Mauro Pixanto (Brazil Plants) has a good rep on another forum that I...
    That is exactly where I found it! Coincidences abound! I used Top Tropicals as I was looking for better photos/info. Mauro Pixanto (Brazil Plants) has a good rep on another forum that I frequent.He is also listing Lobelia excelsa, Lobelia fistulosa and Lobelia polyphylla.
    That is exactly where I found it! Coincidences abound! I used Top Tropicals as I was looking for better photos/info. Mauro Pixanto (Brazil Plants) has a good rep on another forum that I frequent.He is also listing Lobelia excelsa, Lobelia...
    That is exactly where I found it! Coincidences abound! I used Top Tropicals as I was looking for better photos/info. Mauro Pixanto (Brazil Plants) has a good rep on another forum that I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. scott333
    Like x 3

Musa Basjoo doing nicely..

I wrapped mine, though might have got away with it last winter.Even so, I lost the biggest stem on a Musella lasiocarpa.
    I wrapped mine, though might have got away with it last winter.Even so, I lost the biggest stem on a Musella lasiocarpa.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. sal73

Amulree is gone

Well then I would rather get the one, rooted, and have a better chance of it getting going.My 2 footer I bought 2 years ago has done well so far. It was rooted, so I guess it had a head start.
    Well then I would rather get the one, rooted, and have a better chance of it getting going.My 2 footer I bought 2 years ago has done well so far. It was rooted, so I guess it had a head start.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice