Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. sal73

Passiflora trees

Sirius as much as I would love to take the challenge , it`s lost from the beginning , the plants are for one of the world leading expert who has a greenhouse that will keep at 24c all year around...
    Sirius as much as I would love to take the challenge , it`s lost from the beginning , the plants are for one of the world leading expert who has a greenhouse that will keep at 24c all year around , drop down at night , fog in the morning , cool down in summer and artificial light for winter and...
    Sirius as much as I would love to take the challenge , it`s lost from the beginning , the plants are for one of the world leading expert who has a greenhouse that will keep at 24c all year around , drop down at night , fog in the morning , cool...
    Sirius as much as I would love to take the challenge , it`s lost from the beginning , the plants are for one of the world leading expert who has a greenhouse that will keep at 24c all year around...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. longk
    Like x 3

Greyia sutherlandii

Thanks! I appreciate it:blue thumb:How are you growing yours?
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Bournemouth Gardener

Windy conditions

They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the...
    They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the years of weeds and make way for improvement over this year. I will take some photos and put them (not...
    They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the years of weeds and make way for improvement over this...
    They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Bilbo675

Musa Ornata 'Aurea' x sikkimensis banana

Looks like a good idea to me @mowgley . Those stems dont look nearly strong enough, to me, to survive the winter even if wrapped.As its not that big, better to be safe than sorry.
    Looks like a good idea to me @mowgley . Those stems dont look nearly strong enough, to me, to survive the winter even if wrapped.As its not that big, better to be safe than sorry.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kristen
    Useful x 3

What's Looking Exotic In October 2014

I received it as a wee cutting a few weeks ago. I was surprised when this flower bud started to emerge.Mine was doing well until I discovered what good bedding plants they make...................
    I received it as a wee cutting a few weeks ago. I was surprised when this flower bud started to emerge.Mine was doing well until I discovered what good bedding plants they make...................
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. joolz68
    Like x 5

Canna 2014

It was the Karchesky seed Jooz.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PeterS

Winter preparations

That's what I do, although if planted deep enough and with a bark mulch they will come through most winters.
    That's what I do, although if planted deep enough and with a bark mulch they will come through most winters.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. aways987

How to protect a banana pup

Many thanks your help. Sorry for the late reply. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS

Brugmansia cuttings

That's really kind of you Pete:dbgrtmb:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. PeterS

Erythrina crista-galli

I only kept one ginger in my garden room over the summer, and that was the only one that flowered. And yes, I am certain that it flowered on the previous years growth as it flowered on the tallest...
    I only kept one ginger in my garden room over the summer, and that was the only one that flowered. And yes, I am certain that it flowered on the previous years growth as it flowered on the tallest stems at about 8 feet.I bought it a couple of years ago, as a rhizome, at Harrogate Flower Show...
    I only kept one ginger in my garden room over the summer, and that was the only one that flowered. And yes, I am certain that it flowered on the previous years growth as it flowered on the tallest stems at about 8 feet.I bought it a couple of...
    I only kept one ginger in my garden room over the summer, and that was the only one that flowered. And yes, I am certain that it flowered on the previous years growth as it flowered on the tallest...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. strongylodon
    Like x 7

What's Looking Exotic in November

I have to agree. It's a luscious blood red now with well defined veining as well.
    I have to agree. It's a luscious blood red now with well defined veining as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. jono

Coconuts!!!!!!

Also trying grapes from seed and cuttings. As I have seen both done on youtube....
    Also trying grapes from seed and cuttings. As I have seen both done on youtube....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. John Harruison

Gloriosa superba

To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the...
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the end of the season.
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the end of the season.
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. longk

Help needed - one for the plant finders here

I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a...
    I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a "consortium" together.
    I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a "consortium" together.
    I'm reliably informed by someone on another forum that one pod should feed the UK demand. Even so it's a bit of steep price for what will basically be an experiment so we are putting a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kitty

Bromeliad

The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we...
    The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we can't ID it for her .
    The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we can't ID it for her .
    The white coating on some Broms, Vriesia, Aechmea, Neoregelia and Billbergias for example is called indumentum and helps them absorb moisture from the air. As we don't have a pic from Kitty we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. longk
    Like x 6

Winter surprises

After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I haven't forgotten, just a bit housebound with my other...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sal73

Cannas Rhizomes

I don't think they would collapse John. The worst they could do is get a bit leggy. It may be worth a try as an experiment.
    I don't think they would collapse John. The worst they could do is get a bit leggy. It may be worth a try as an experiment.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. sal73

Rare Plants

Ha ha ha!! You're beginning to see it as I do!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS
    Like x 3

What's looking exotic in January 2015

Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking...
    Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking at intervals, but didn't know what I was looking for. I will have a closer look tomorrow.
    Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking at intervals, but didn't know what I was looking...
    Thanks Pete - I appreciate the photo. I have at least another flower stem looking like yours, which is probably close to flowering as its already taller than the open flower.I had been looking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. longk

Senna/Cassia bicapsularis

That's half the fun :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice