Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. HarryS

Canna Selection Advice

I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold...
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold water and get great germination rates
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold water and get great germination rates
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. noisette47

Passiflora germination

Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order...
    Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order multiple items without paying multiple postage:redface: I contacted him to ask, but no reply to date..... Will have...
    Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order multiple items without paying multiple postage:redface: I...
    Hi longk! Those Sesbania are beautiful! The seller you mention is the same one that does Cassia javanica, I believe? Tried to order some seeds from him but I can't suss out how to order...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Like x 6

Palm Rescue

Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter....
    Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter.I've also cut off large amounts of root on pot grown CIDPs when repotting only to find masses of new...
    Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter.I've also cut off large amounts of root on pot grown...
    Sort of makes me wonder if pot grown plants should be root pruned, if potbound, prior to planting. My Trachys make lots of new roots from the base of the stems mostly in autumn/early winter....
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PeterS

I like the price - but what have I bought ?

Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It...
    Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It will be interesting to see how it copes.
    Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It will be interesting to see how it copes.
    Guzmanias are less likely to survive a cold spell compared to Billbergia and Tilllandsia due to their softer leaves but it is worth a try, particularly if it doesn't get colder than at present. It...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. sal73

Silverhill seeds

I thought that I would add this site to this thread. Very good source of info that can be used to find out more about your choices if they're listed.
    I thought that I would add this site to this thread. Very good source of info that can be used to find out more about your choices if they're listed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. longk

Musschia wollastonii

Here is one of my plants a year on...............One thing that I have learnt is that the roots are very sensitive as I lost a lot due to clumsy pricking out.
    Here is one of my plants a year on...............One thing that I have learnt is that the roots are very sensitive as I lost a lot due to clumsy pricking out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. sal73

Lapageria

I've just found buds on mine!! :hapfeet::hapydancsmil::yahoo::yes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jason85

Canary Island palm

Pete I took your advise and should have a trachycarpus fortunei delivered in next day or so
    Pete I took your advise and should have a trachycarpus fortunei delivered in next day or so
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jason85

Washington robusta

Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are...
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are difficult to separate, so best left alone.
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are difficult to separate, so best left alone.
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. simon n

When do Ensettes hit the garden centres?

When all danger of frosts has gone, that's when most of the tender stuff starts to appear - could be late May or June around us.
    When all danger of frosts has gone, that's when most of the tender stuff starts to appear - could be late May or June around us.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. pete
    Like x 5

Yucca elephatipies

Lovely specimen @pete :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bilbo675

Yucca aloifolia purpurea

beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Bilbo675

Yucca aloifolia purpurea

Yes it`s an hybrid and really pretty when grow up , but not as hardy as many peoples makes us to belive , I would say it`s on the same line of elephantis , nothing less nothing more
    Yes it`s an hybrid and really pretty when grow up , but not as hardy as many peoples makes us to belive , I would say it`s on the same line of elephantis , nothing less nothing more
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Anthony Rogers

Dipladenia/Mandevilla pruning

I can't say that the BoP was over the moon about it either :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. longk
    Like x 4

Bomarea

As does patience. I've found another one germinated this evening.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gregory
    Like x 7

"Ultra Tropicals"

Hi Gregory - its a year since your first post - do tell us how you are getting on and what you are growing.You can see how some of us are getting on in
    Hi Gregory - its a year since your first post - do tell us how you are getting on and what you are growing.You can see how some of us are getting on in
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. catztail

brugmansia question

I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 6

Brugmansia 2014

Not sure, but I'd say warm but not hot. Sun on pots might be good at this time of the year but could be a bit too much in hot weather, (if we get any :snork:) Normal soil temperatures in summer seem...
    Not sure, but I'd say warm but not hot. Sun on pots might be good at this time of the year but could be a bit too much in hot weather, (if we get any :snork:) Normal soil temperatures in summer seem fine, as they grow really well if planted out.I think moisture is really the key in hot weather.
    Not sure, but I'd say warm but not hot. Sun on pots might be good at this time of the year but could be a bit too much in hot weather, (if we get any :snork:) Normal soil temperatures in summer seem fine, as they grow really well if planted out.I...
    Not sure, but I'd say warm but not hot. Sun on pots might be good at this time of the year but could be a bit too much in hot weather, (if we get any :snork:) Normal soil temperatures in summer seem...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Victoria

Clerodendron ugandense

Enjoy...................The relevant info is on page two but have a good look through anyway :heehee:The mother plant has taken a few degrees of frost before but it's the first time that one of the...
    Enjoy...................The relevant info is on page two but have a good look through anyway :heehee:The mother plant has taken a few degrees of frost before but it's the first time that one of the children has.I've lost Cubanola seedlings of up to a year old for no apparent reason. I suspect...
    Enjoy...................The relevant info is on page two but have a good look through anyway :heehee:The mother plant has taken a few degrees of frost before but it's the first time that one of the children has.I've lost Cubanola seedlings of up...
    Enjoy...................The relevant info is on page two but have a good look through anyway :heehee:The mother plant has taken a few degrees of frost before but it's the first time that one of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. hydrogardener

Bougainvillea for the greenhouse

Well, the plant certainly seems to like the spot it has found in the greenhouse, as it has been flowering for weeks. I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting support.
    Well, the plant certainly seems to like the spot it has found in the greenhouse, as it has been flowering for weeks. I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting support.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice