Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Sihitch

Problems with Cannas

I think its a lot to do with temperature. I have two pots of Canna altensteinii, which were overwintered together as rhizomes. One pot was put outside after the last frost and is now one foot...
    I think its a lot to do with temperature. I have two pots of Canna altensteinii, which were overwintered together as rhizomes. One pot was put outside after the last frost and is now one foot high, and the other has been inside my conservatory, where its a lot warmer. The inside one reached 8...
    I think its a lot to do with temperature. I have two pots of Canna altensteinii, which were overwintered together as rhizomes. One pot was put outside after the last frost and is now one foot high, and the other has been inside my conservatory,...
    I think its a lot to do with temperature. I have two pots of Canna altensteinii, which were overwintered together as rhizomes. One pot was put outside after the last frost and is now one foot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. kindredspirit
    Like x 6

Yucca Linearis.

:blue thumb:Very nice indeed
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lolimac
    Like x 10

Brugmansia 2015

I have two types of Brugs (Suavolens and Miss Emilie McKenzie). Both are from cuttings this year and I have also grown them as standards with clear stems until the 'Y' fork. In only 4 months or so...
    I have two types of Brugs (Suavolens and Miss Emilie McKenzie). Both are from cuttings this year and I have also grown them as standards with clear stems until the 'Y' fork. In only 4 months or so I am pretty impressed at the speed they grow and the numerous huge blooms they throw out. I will...
    I have two types of Brugs (Suavolens and Miss Emilie McKenzie). Both are from cuttings this year and I have also grown them as standards with clear stems until the 'Y' fork. In only 4 months or so I am pretty impressed at the speed they grow and...
    I have two types of Brugs (Suavolens and Miss Emilie McKenzie). Both are from cuttings this year and I have also grown them as standards with clear stems until the 'Y' fork. In only 4 months or so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Liamesque

Flamboyant leaves yellowing and falling

Been there, done that!!!! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hydrogardener

Figs

I'd love a fig tree, I could eat figs by the lorry load (possibly not the best idea, I'd probably have an accident!!! :snork:). I was given 10 figs yesterday from a friends tree...they are simply delicious! :dbgrtmb:
    I'd love a fig tree, I could eat figs by the lorry load (possibly not the best idea, I'd probably have an accident!!! :snork:). I was given 10 figs yesterday from a friends tree...they are simply delicious! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Zola

Newbie Info

What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some...
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some protection/fleecing Fatsia japonia Zantedescia & KniphofiaJust off the top of my head
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some protection/fleecing Fatsia japonia Zantedescia & KniphofiaJust off...
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. BenBaron
    Like x 6

Tree fern delivery

First class Ben. I am envious. :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. BenBaron

Large Butia Capitata (ordorata)

I would prefer one with more fronds giving it more of an arching effect, sell it and get a smaller one!!!:biggrin:
    I would prefer one with more fronds giving it more of an arching effect, sell it and get a smaller one!!!:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. TMAK

Plant ID please

Warm and tropical!
    Warm and tropical!
    Warm and tropical!
    Warm and tropical!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Pebo

My exotic project

Phormiums are great for filling in the lower levelsSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phormiums are great for filling in the lower levelsSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Dips

When should i bring my brug inside

Not actually Brugs, and as longk says, quite a bit hardier.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Pebo

Massive Basjoo in flower.. Manchester

My thoughts are that a stem of that size is unlikely to have grown from the ground this year
    My thoughts are that a stem of that size is unlikely to have grown from the ground this year
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Pebo

Dracululus Vulgaris and Basjoo questions

Hi Pete - up near Blackburn. Fire me a pm and I'll send you details Cheers Ben
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hydrogardener

Pineapple

Apparently you can make them fruit at any time, within reason of course, by introducing ethylene gas. Ripe bananas, apples etc. give off this gas.
    Apparently you can make them fruit at any time, within reason of course, by introducing ethylene gas. Ripe bananas, apples etc. give off this gas.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Pebo

What can I plant now.. Suggestions welcome.

Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK

Sarracenia overwintering

Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive...
    Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive collection many years ago but I had to sell on. All being well I will be installing a couple of...
    Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive collection many years ago but I had to sell on. All...
    Sarracenia are very tolerant of cold conditions if the crown is dry, many don't appreciate being cold and wet. The best place for them is an unheated greenhouse.I used to have an extensive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ian Taylor

something spiney

I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade...
    I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade and our winters. I know thats asking a lot :).
    I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade and our winters. I know thats asking a lot :).
    I dont think Cats Claw should survive our winters. not quite sure I want something that quite invasive, we have a fence I would like something spikey and flowering that could stand sun and shade...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. WeeTam
    Like x 4

Yucca too big? Off with its head !

Nice tree. I don't think I'd have had the courage to do it :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. noisette47

Sesbania grandiflora

Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will...
    Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will try again (I still have seed) but in a cool room with a bit of humidity.
    Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will try again (I still have seed) but in a cool room...
    Like Pete I've grown S.punicea successfully by overwintering in a cool greenhouse and pretty dry (ie - dormant) but the white form of S.grandiflora didn't make it under the same conditions. I will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. KyreCookie

Tropical (?) health advice

Thank you both
    Thank you both
    Thank you both
    Thank you both
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice