Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Glenda75

Guava Troubleshooting

Thank you . Would love to visit the UK one day, too. Reviews say right after Easter is when the flowers are in fullest bloom. We still have snow on the ground here! Hoping to bring back tulip...
    Thank you . Would love to visit the UK one day, too. Reviews say right after Easter is when the flowers are in fullest bloom. We still have snow on the ground here! Hoping to bring back tulip bulbs- will be hard not to want to buy a suitcase full.
    Thank you . Would love to visit the UK one day, too. Reviews say right after Easter is when the flowers are in fullest bloom. We still have snow on the ground here! Hoping to bring back tulip bulbs- will be hard not to want to buy a suitcase full.
    Thank you . Would love to visit the UK one day, too. Reviews say right after Easter is when the flowers are in fullest bloom. We still have snow on the ground here! Hoping to bring back tulip...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Sogni verdi

Low level ground cover

Thank you, will give those a look, the Woolly thyme in particular sounds like it could fit the bill.
    Thank you, will give those a look, the Woolly thyme in particular sounds like it could fit the bill.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Mary by the sea
    Like x 3

Strelitzia

My plant looks perfectly heathy & has already grown a new leaf this year! Every new leaf is like a new flower! :heehee:
    My plant looks perfectly heathy & has already grown a new leaf this year! Every new leaf is like a new flower! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

What's looking Exotic in 2022

I had a quick scan through the video. I know nothing about Plumeria but do know that it is not good practice to do gardening and/or move heavy pots whilst in bare feet. :doh:
    I had a quick scan through the video. I know nothing about Plumeria but do know that it is not good practice to do gardening and/or move heavy pots whilst in bare feet. :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Nurture

Repotting Areca palm

Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting...
    Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting compost. Also, if the pot is too big, the compost will stay wet too long.Palms can be a bit...
    Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting compost. Also, if the pot is too big, the compost will...
    Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Danny Hughes

When to decide passion flower is dead?

I've never found P. Edulis to be hardy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Ricky Spangle

Outdoor palm tree

I use a pair of loppers on palm fronds.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Perki

Leucospermum problem

It should take full sun easy at this time of the year, and in summer once established, but if its not used to it you really need to do it gradually, especially a small soft looking plant like that.
    It should take full sun easy at this time of the year, and in summer once established, but if its not used to it you really need to do it gradually, especially a small soft looking plant like that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Ricky Spangle

Echium Pininana

great! I love the plant, its so differentI never know wether to call it a plant, tree or shrub :rolleyespink: I refer to it affectionately as 'the trifid'
    great! I love the plant, its so differentI never know wether to call it a plant, tree or shrub :rolleyespink: I refer to it affectionately as 'the trifid'
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Greybelle

Huge Rubber Plant Help

@Greybelle a couple of decades ago I had exactly the same issue with one at work and air layered it with no problems, the latex inside did not cause a problem. I just cut into the stem at an angle...
    @Greybelle a couple of decades ago I had exactly the same issue with one at work and air layered it with no problems, the latex inside did not cause a problem. I just cut into the stem at an angle about a third of the way through, packed some damp sphagnum moss into the cut and around the stem,...
    @Greybelle a couple of decades ago I had exactly the same issue with one at work and air layered it with no problems, the latex inside did not cause a problem. I just cut into the stem at an angle about a third of the way through, packed some...
    @Greybelle a couple of decades ago I had exactly the same issue with one at work and air layered it with no problems, the latex inside did not cause a problem. I just cut into the stem at an angle...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Janet mahay

guzmania advice

Hi Esoxlucius the mother plant was dying it was slowly going brown so i thought i have to separate two pups from mom and just leave the smaller pup with mom till it gets a bit bigger so i...
    Hi Esoxlucius the mother plant was dying it was slowly going brown so i thought i have to separate two pups from mom and just leave the smaller pup with mom till it gets a bit bigger so i slowly turned the pot upside down and carefully removed the soil till eventually i saw one pup ...
    Hi Esoxlucius the mother plant was dying it was slowly going brown so i thought i have to separate two pups from mom and just leave the smaller pup with mom till it gets a bit bigger so i slowly turned the pot upside down and carefully ...
    Hi Esoxlucius the mother plant was dying it was slowly going brown so i thought i have to separate two pups from mom and just leave the smaller pup with mom till it gets a bit bigger so i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. noisette47

Saving a banana...

I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the...
    I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the pot and left the rootball intact with a couple of leaves. It survived in the frost free greenhouse...
    I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the pot and left the rootball intact with a couple of...
    I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Marley Farley
    Like x 8

How to Germinate a Mango...!

Well from what I've heard so far it looks like my mango and avocado are destined to remain indoors as house plants....trees!! Now that's worrying, lol.
    Well from what I've heard so far it looks like my mango and avocado are destined to remain indoors as house plants....trees!! Now that's worrying, lol.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Black Dog

Passiflora pollination compatibility

I think it may well pollenate the incarnata but will probably swamp it if you plant it too close. I find if you prune you tend to slow flowering.
    I think it may well pollenate the incarnata but will probably swamp it if you plant it too close. I find if you prune you tend to slow flowering.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Richard360

Bird of paradise

They weren’t at first, I put it outside to thicken them up, it worked. I did have a Banana plant which I had for about 5 years but I left it in the porch instead of bringing it into the house and...
    They weren’t at first, I put it outside to thicken them up, it worked. I did have a Banana plant which I had for about 5 years but I left it in the porch instead of bringing it into the house and unfortunately the cold killed it. The leaves on the banana plant didn’t have a gloss to them, this...
    They weren’t at first, I put it outside to thicken them up, it worked. I did have a Banana plant which I had for about 5 years but I left it in the porch instead of bringing it into the house and unfortunately the cold killed it. The leaves on...
    They weren’t at first, I put it outside to thicken them up, it worked. I did have a Banana plant which I had for about 5 years but I left it in the porch instead of bringing it into the house and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. barryman

Cutting back Orchid

I usually cut each flower stem back to the next node, you usually get another flower stem develop from there. Doesn't matter when you do it, I do it as soon as the flowers on the stem are finished.
    I usually cut each flower stem back to the next node, you usually get another flower stem develop from there. Doesn't matter when you do it, I do it as soon as the flowers on the stem are finished.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pete
    Like x 7

Caesalpinia Gilliesii, comeback.

They certainly flower a lot better in sandy-ish or stony soil. Not had a problem here with hardiness. Planted near a wall they've survived -12°C albeit for brief periods.
    They certainly flower a lot better in sandy-ish or stony soil. Not had a problem here with hardiness. Planted near a wall they've survived -12°C albeit for brief periods.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK

Cannas 2022

I'll be digging up the ones in the ground and potting up to over winter. There's one that's just bloomed that I have no idea what it is!
    I'll be digging up the ones in the ground and potting up to over winter. There's one that's just bloomed that I have no idea what it is!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. strongylodon

Washingtonia

I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two...
    I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two after repotting, but speed of growth is better when not all grouped together. For some reason, they...
    I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two after repotting, but speed of growth is better when...
    I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria

Acnistus / Iochroma Australe

Thanks Pete. Yes, I noticed more than 8. I also got some Vigna Snail Vine seeds. It says 5 but I got 6. I shall get sowng in a couple of hours when it cools down.A strange site, says Greece...
    Thanks Pete. Yes, I noticed more than 8. I also got some Vigna Snail Vine seeds. It says 5 but I got 6. I shall get sowng in a couple of hours when it cools down.A strange site, says Greece but the company is in Germany and came from Germany. Mostly edibles but some odd nice flowers...
    Thanks Pete. Yes, I noticed more than 8. I also got some Vigna Snail Vine seeds. It says 5 but I got 6. I shall get sowng in a couple of hours when it cools down.A strange site, says Greece but the company is in Germany and came from...
    Thanks Pete. Yes, I noticed more than 8. I also got some Vigna Snail Vine seeds. It says 5 but I got 6. I shall get sowng in a couple of hours when it cools down.A strange site, says Greece...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice