1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. longk

Advice on Alstromeria and Moraea seeds please

Victoria - here is the Alstro that the seeds came from..................I'm trying to grow the seed to see if the slight variegation in the foliage will disappear.
    Victoria - here is the Alstro that the seeds came from..................I'm trying to grow the seed to see if the slight variegation in the foliage will disappear.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Bilbo675
    Like x 5

Hellebore ~ New Zealand Hybrid

Wow so beautiful and well done thankyou for sharing I love helabores.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Louise D

Suggestions and ideas please !

Dim - I've started a new thread here.................Apologies LouiseD.............
    Dim - I've started a new thread here.................Apologies LouiseD.............
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Spruce

Candidum who on here....

I don't think we have the warmth they need in Summer for outdoors, not sure whether you were thinking of in or out. I have only grown them in the past for pot sales as house plants starting the...
    I don't think we have the warmth they need in Summer for outdoors, not sure whether you were thinking of in or out. I have only grown them in the past for pot sales as house plants starting the tubers off at 24/5c.
    I don't think we have the warmth they need in Summer for outdoors, not sure whether you were thinking of in or out. I have only grown them in the past for pot sales as house plants starting the tubers off at 24/5c.
    I don't think we have the warmth they need in Summer for outdoors, not sure whether you were thinking of in or out. I have only grown them in the past for pot sales as house plants starting the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Liz

Caesalpinia gilliesii- help?

I've usually given them a 24 hour soak similar to Acacia seed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Scotkat

Dendrobium Orchids

Depending on which Dendro species they are they may appreciate a cool spell........This is the trick for the D.kingianium in the photo below.
    Depending on which Dendro species they are they may appreciate a cool spell........This is the trick for the D.kingianium in the photo below.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. raebhoop

Fatsia Japonica

When i bought mine they were bought as house plants....2.99 some time ago...they out grew their spot so i put them in the garden and have been thriving.....:dbgrtmb: i'm sure i read somewhere that there...
    When i bought mine they were bought as house plants....2.99 some time ago...they out grew their spot so i put them in the garden and have been thriving.....:dbgrtmb: i'm sure i read somewhere that there are 'outdoor and indoor' varieties and not to get them confused but i chanced it anyway.
    When i bought mine they were bought as house plants....2.99 some time ago...they out grew their spot so i put them in the garden and have been thriving.....:dbgrtmb: i'm sure i read somewhere that there are 'outdoor and indoor' varieties and not to get...
    When i bought mine they were bought as house plants....2.99 some time ago...they out grew their spot so i put them in the garden and have been thriving.....:dbgrtmb: i'm sure i read somewhere that there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. chan2

areca / chrysalidocarpus

Sounds like more of a temperature problem if you're feeding them with a decent fertiliser. Hope they recover.:)
    Sounds like more of a temperature problem if you're feeding them with a decent fertiliser. Hope they recover.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. oakdaledave

Moving a green cordeline?

I'd go for the Spring move as opposed to the Autumn one.Cordylines dont move well but you might get away with it as its only been in two years, but be prepared for a tap root.
    I'd go for the Spring move as opposed to the Autumn one.Cordylines dont move well but you might get away with it as its only been in two years, but be prepared for a tap root.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Scotkat

Phal leaves on one of my going yellow

will do longk :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sal73

Astelia chathamica

You are right the burrito get too longer ....as much as the fern need lots of water as well , that why I was thinking of the bird nest fern....seen them growing in full sun. but only have one...
    You are right the burrito get too longer ....as much as the fern need lots of water as well , that why I was thinking of the bird nest fern....seen them growing in full sun. but only have one .... Really need some idea...they are really nice pot and would love to plant something nice.....
    You are right the burrito get too longer ....as much as the fern need lots of water as well , that why I was thinking of the bird nest fern....seen them growing in full sun. but only have one .... Really need some idea...they are really nice pot...
    You are right the burrito get too longer ....as much as the fern need lots of water as well , that why I was thinking of the bird nest fern....seen them growing in full sun. but only have one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sal73

Dicksonia antartica.

Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the...
    Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the crown, frost fleece is ideal, but anything similar will do for short periods.Gaz
    Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the crown, frost fleece is ideal, but anything similar...
    Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. devongardener

Orchid phalaenopsis

My wife saved the above orchids from plants purchased last year at Sainsburys. These were repotted after flowering and recently they have produced buds, and flowers were almost ready to open. ...
    My wife saved the above orchids from plants purchased last year at Sainsburys. These were repotted after flowering and recently they have produced buds, and flowers were almost ready to open. However they are dropping these flower buds without opening.They are situated in the living room...
    My wife saved the above orchids from plants purchased last year at Sainsburys. These were repotted after flowering and recently they have produced buds, and flowers were almost ready to open. However they are dropping these flower buds without...
    My wife saved the above orchids from plants purchased last year at Sainsburys. These were repotted after flowering and recently they have produced buds, and flowers were almost ready to open. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. longk

I should be pleased, but................

In the garage earlier and came across my Pleiones which are starting to come into life. So I've just potted them up and placed them in the cool bedroom. Should have a few of these in about a...
    In the garage earlier and came across my Pleiones which are starting to come into life. So I've just potted them up and placed them in the cool bedroom. Should have a few of these in about a month now.................Uploaded with ImageShack.usThat's a month or two early really, but...
    In the garage earlier and came across my Pleiones which are starting to come into life. So I've just potted them up and placed them in the cool bedroom. Should have a few of these in about a month now.................Uploaded with...
    In the garage earlier and came across my Pleiones which are starting to come into life. So I've just potted them up and placed them in the cool bedroom. Should have a few of these in about a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sal73

tropical hardy fern.

We have quite a lot of hardy ground ferns in the garden. They do add to the tropical look and you dont have to worry the same as with tree ferns.Tree ferns can take quite bad winters, but not...
    We have quite a lot of hardy ground ferns in the garden. They do add to the tropical look and you dont have to worry the same as with tree ferns.Tree ferns can take quite bad winters, but not all will survive, if you do get some Sal then keep dicksonias in a sheltered spot and protect them in...
    We have quite a lot of hardy ground ferns in the garden. They do add to the tropical look and you dont have to worry the same as with tree ferns.Tree ferns can take quite bad winters, but not all will survive, if you do get some Sal then keep...
    We have quite a lot of hardy ground ferns in the garden. They do add to the tropical look and you dont have to worry the same as with tree ferns.Tree ferns can take quite bad winters, but not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. simbad

Isoplexis Caneriensis

Yes I'll keep my eye on them strongylodon, bit worried about when to sow as I'd read its best to sow the seed fresh, fingers crossed I'll be able to keep them alive :dbgrtmb:
    Yes I'll keep my eye on them strongylodon, bit worried about when to sow as I'd read its best to sow the seed fresh, fingers crossed I'll be able to keep them alive :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK

Wrapping up tender plants

If you keep the ensetes cool but dry as suggested above they will survive but not grow which would be more beneficial because they can grow exceptionally fast, and indoors in a heated room between...
    If you keep the ensetes cool but dry as suggested above they will survive but not grow which would be more beneficial because they can grow exceptionally fast, and indoors in a heated room between now and April or May, they will put out some considerable growth.. they may get too big for the...
    If you keep the ensetes cool but dry as suggested above they will survive but not grow which would be more beneficial because they can grow exceptionally fast, and indoors in a heated room between now and April or May, they will put out some...
    If you keep the ensetes cool but dry as suggested above they will survive but not grow which would be more beneficial because they can grow exceptionally fast, and indoors in a heated room between...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. sal73

Pitcher plant

Pete , they are a must have , really nice . My original idea was to convert an old ceramic sink into a bog trough , as i was trying to grow some reindeer white moss and maybe some outdoor orchids...
    Pete , they are a must have , really nice . My original idea was to convert an old ceramic sink into a bog trough , as i was trying to grow some reindeer white moss and maybe some outdoor orchids , but your idea of trough with drainage holes halfway up it way much better , as that will stop the...
    Pete , they are a must have , really nice . My original idea was to convert an old ceramic sink into a bog trough , as i was trying to grow some reindeer white moss and maybe some outdoor orchids , but your idea of trough with drainage holes...
    Pete , they are a must have , really nice . My original idea was to convert an old ceramic sink into a bog trough , as i was trying to grow some reindeer white moss and maybe some outdoor orchids...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. stephenprudence

December flora fest

Far too early - it took until May last year before it bloomed. Here is a link to a page on New Zealand native Fuchsias..........Yes, I do post occasionally on HTUK.
    Far too early - it took until May last year before it bloomed. Here is a link to a page on New Zealand native Fuchsias..........Yes, I do post occasionally on HTUK.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. stephenprudence

Does anyone grow..

I've planted a few indoor Azaleas in the front garden. One died but two are going strong.One which I planted last year even weathered the -19C temperatures we had during winter. The other...
    I've planted a few indoor Azaleas in the front garden. One died but two are going strong.One which I planted last year even weathered the -19C temperatures we had during winter. The other one has been planted out this year so remains to be seen whether it will last until Spring as it's...
    I've planted a few indoor Azaleas in the front garden. One died but two are going strong.One which I planted last year even weathered the -19C temperatures we had during winter. The other one has been planted out this year so remains to be...
    I've planted a few indoor Azaleas in the front garden. One died but two are going strong.One which I planted last year even weathered the -19C temperatures we had during winter. The other...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice