All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. PeterS
    Like x 12

Gardens of the Amalfi Coast

The one way system comes in during high season for all traffic and mid-season for buses/coaches. In the winter it's, anything goes.Last time we were there we stayed in Amalfi for Christmas. It...
    The one way system comes in during high season for all traffic and mid-season for buses/coaches. In the winter it's, anything goes.Last time we were there we stayed in Amalfi for Christmas. It was a wonderful time with all their traditional Christmas celebrations.This time we weren't there...
    The one way system comes in during high season for all traffic and mid-season for buses/coaches. In the winter it's, anything goes.Last time we were there we stayed in Amalfi for Christmas. It was a wonderful time with all their traditional...
    The one way system comes in during high season for all traffic and mid-season for buses/coaches. In the winter it's, anything goes.Last time we were there we stayed in Amalfi for Christmas. It...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ARMANDII

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2017

Yes, I tend to fall over in the dark! :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GCHQ

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2017, a

Old thread here :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. xf8u39

Palm id and advice requied

Did some hacking back of the Chamaerops today, it was really overgrown and becoming infested with Ivy. Anyway, gave me a chance to have a close look, nothing suspicious was found, also revealed...
    Did some hacking back of the Chamaerops today, it was really overgrown and becoming infested with Ivy. Anyway, gave me a chance to have a close look, nothing suspicious was found, also revealed the trunk of the Waggie, not much chance of checking out the top, but the bottom of the trunk appears...
    Did some hacking back of the Chamaerops today, it was really overgrown and becoming infested with Ivy. Anyway, gave me a chance to have a close look, nothing suspicious was found, also revealed the trunk of the Waggie, not much chance of...
    Did some hacking back of the Chamaerops today, it was really overgrown and becoming infested with Ivy. Anyway, gave me a chance to have a close look, nothing suspicious was found, also revealed...
    IMG_20180325_164323.jpg IMG_20180325_164343.jpg IMG_20180325_164357.jpg DSC_0199.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PeterS
    Like x 12

Costa Rica - Heliconias

Excellent John - I look forward to hearing how they do. I believe that, for us - without the right climate, it's quite difficult to get rhizomes back into growth. I certainly killed an H. bihai...
    Excellent John - I look forward to hearing how they do. I believe that, for us - without the right climate, it's quite difficult to get rhizomes back into growth. I certainly killed an H. bihai rhizome that I got from Thailand.Himalayan Gardens was not expensive, but other sources on the...
    Excellent John - I look forward to hearing how they do. I believe that, for us - without the right climate, it's quite difficult to get rhizomes back into growth. I certainly killed an H. bihai rhizome that I got from Thailand.Himalayan Gardens...
    Excellent John - I look forward to hearing how they do. I believe that, for us - without the right climate, it's quite difficult to get rhizomes back into growth. I certainly killed an H. bihai...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS
    Like x 6

Costa Rica - flower arrangements

Hi @PeterS :thankyou: for sharing these stunning arrangments :wub2:...there's nothing like that over here :gaah:
    Hi @PeterS :thankyou: for sharing these stunning arrangments :wub2:...there's nothing like that over here :gaah:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. longk
    Like x 5

Furcraea

After the first winter I only move mine when it gets arctic, the rest of the time they're outdoors
    After the first winter I only move mine when it gets arctic, the rest of the time they're outdoors
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. BassFisher

Olive Tree Problem

Pete There are a few small shoots, but so pleased that this is normal, thank you
    Pete There are a few small shoots, but so pleased that this is normal, thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS
    Like x 8

Costa Rica - plants and flowers

Peter i think so myself mate as they're showing this end...just gets the mind boggling :scratch:
    Peter i think so myself mate as they're showing this end...just gets the mind boggling :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Matt-tropical

Colocasia Thailand giants coming out of dormancy

Peter it reminds me of a small mammal sitting there but with a birds beak
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. pete
    Like x 15

Palm Sunday

I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a...
    I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a thought, but maybe a few months of soaking the stem might induce stronger rooting.This is at the base...
    I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a thought, but maybe a few months of soaking the stem...
    I remember that John, not sure how you can get it going. One thing I do notice is Trachys seem to make a massive amount of root in very wet weather, I see it often, above ground even. Just a...
    DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0109.JPG DSC_0110.JPG DSC_0112.JPG DSC_0113.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Peter K

Cactus

Cor :):):):):):):)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Selleri

So I bought some cacti and succulent seeds. Any tips?

I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon...
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been zillions of years since I grew them from seeds....
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been...
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. strongylodon
    Like x 3

Tillandsia

How cute. I see one in the middle, green and an old one lower right. I don't have any right not but I have had it and it had flowered allot...
    How cute. I see one in the middle, green and an old one lower right. I don't have any right not but I have had it and it had flowered allot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. stephenprudence

Question regarding Citrus

Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I grew poncirus outside for many years and new growth was earlier than this, but if the calamondin is...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I grew poncirus outside for many years and new...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. AbiJ

Help needed, dying palm

Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the...
    Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the fence, perhaps it strays over their side when in full leaf;) Hint hint, nudge nudge.
    Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the fence, perhaps it strays over their side when in...
    Know what you mean John, another plant that does the same thing is Fremontodendron, going slightly off track.:biggrin:I'm sure you understand why I asked if the neighbours like it. It's close to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Tara100

Do insecticides damage banana plants?

I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on...
    I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on the problem, often nature sorts out this kind of thing. If the new leaves start to get distorted...
    I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on the problem, often nature sorts out this kind of...
    I've never found Banana leaves to be particully susceptible to insecticide damage. That said, I agree, unless the pest becomes a total disaster, I'd either spray with water or just keep an eye on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. CanadianLori

King Protea- growing for dummies..

@CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have...
    @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have shown it is a good substitute. I dilute the liquid to weak tea colour and soak seeds in it overnight....
    @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have shown it is a good substitute. I dilute the liquid...
    @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. andrews

Seed Ideas Needed

You mentioned Echeveria earlier. We have an Echeveria thread here..............Share your Echeveria photos and chat here
    You mentioned Echeveria earlier. We have an Echeveria thread here..............Share your Echeveria photos and chat here
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. HarryS

Chamaerops Humilis leaf mark cure ?

Thanks for the answers , I'll get some rose blackspot spray today . I'll also try to improve my rather intermittent feeding regime . Would an application of palm feed every 2-3 weeks be about right ?
    Thanks for the answers , I'll get some rose blackspot spray today . I'll also try to improve my rather intermittent feeding regime . Would an application of palm feed every 2-3 weeks be about right ?
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice