All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. longk
    Like x 4

Cubanola domingensis

Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I...
    Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I did germinate some seeds once - but they died.Very nice to see it. I have never seen it at Kew or...
    Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I did germinate some seeds once - but they...
    Lovely pictures LongK.I remember very well seeing it in flower with you at the Oxford Botanic Gardens. I always understood that it was a very slow growing plant, which has rather put me off. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Black Orchid

Urgent help wanted for my Hawaiian palm!

I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a week. First feel the earth and if it is still...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Greybelle

Hawaiian Palm

The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second which was much larger whose leaves went yellow and...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. WeeTam

Root pruning potted Chusan palms ?

Quite a bit on the internet. 'Root Pruning, Stachy Palms.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sirius

Overwintering

I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty...
    I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty sodden, if I leave the likes of these plants out too late , then have problems drying then out when the...
    I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty sodden, if I leave the likes of these plants out too...
    I brought my Echeverias in today, and removed the Aeoniums from a large pot and potted them up singly. Don't want to get them overwet at this time of the year, usually find they are pretty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS
    Like x 12

Hill House - South Devon

I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was...
    I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was planted out in 2012 and remains there to this day even here in the chilly Cotswolds. In a pot I had...
    I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was planted out in 2012 and remains there to this day...
    I had I.grandiflora for a couple of seasons until the winter of 2010/11. It bloomed more than happily outdoors. After that it was replaced with I.australis (now reclassified I believe) which was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. longk
    Like x 5

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'

It certainly prefers the shorter daylight hours............. Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on FlickrPlectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on Flickr
    It certainly prefers the shorter daylight hours............. Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on FlickrPlectranthus 'Mona Lavender' by longk48, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. HarryS

Cordyline Protection ?

Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the...
    Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the garden is all I will do .
    Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the garden is all I will do .
    Thanks all for the inputs . It appears the best action is to leave unprotected . Unless you are prepared to protect at each cold snap - which I am not. So a move to the sheltered side of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

CANNA 2018

Who's turn is it to start it this ?? :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2018

Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week,...
    Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week, opened.Butia capitata, Chamaerops cerifera and Fatsia Spiders Web.Tradescantia fluminensis, it's...
    Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week, opened.Butia capitata, Chamaerops cerifera and...
    Variegated Oleander is ignoring the frosts and still looks good.The warm summer helped the other Oleander to flower more than before and had loads of seed pods which have, just this week,...
    2018_01080002.JPG 2018_01080003.JPG 2018_01080001.JPG 2018_01080004.JPG 2018_01080005.JPG 2018_01080006.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. WeeTam

Wrapping a Treefern

Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big...
    Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big fella is just too heavy and tall so still outdoors.Next year its the soil cable and straw and...
    Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big fella is just too heavy and tall so still...
    Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bilbo675
    Like x 3

Successful Arundo donax Propagation

Mine's going to get hoed off to within a metre of it's life tomorrow.....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lowrider69

Footstool palm - Livistona Rotundifolia dying :(

will take that as a yes then lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. andrews
    Like x 3

Tropical Border Project

Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says...
    Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says leave them in. It doesn't need to be med. all year round and the bulbs are great to see after a...
    Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says leave them in. It doesn't need to be med. all year...
    Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says...
    CE896A77-54B4-42B3-A48B-F9879E5C3FCA.jpeg IMG_4016.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lydia

I’m so scared to move my plant!!!

They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a...
    They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a small one. Once the aerial roots attach themselves to the wall you cant move them anyway.:biggrin:
    They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a small one. Once the aerial roots attach...
    They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a...
    image.jpg image.jpg DSC_0101.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. David L Van Rooy

Red Jade Vine, Mucuna Bennetti, stopped blooming

Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost...
    Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost around it. Thanks again, Dave
    Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost around it. Thanks again, Dave
    Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost...
    KKM.jpg 20190419_154029.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jurassic Gardener

Tetrapanax Help Please

Wait :biggrin:. Best to make sure that it doesn't dry out but don't over water. I'd resist feeding.
    Wait :biggrin:. Best to make sure that it doesn't dry out but don't over water. I'd resist feeding.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Darren Pennell

Evergreen tropical vine for the conservatory?

I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This...
    I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This Red Buttons
    I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This Red Buttons
    I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This...
    upload_2019-6-9_19-38-4.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. koalabear

Trachycarpus Fortunei - moving

Fab! I will definitely be giving this a go this summer... and will keep you updated : )
    Fab! I will definitely be giving this a go this summer... and will keep you updated : )
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 10

The flowers of Madeira.

i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice