Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Scott manning

Bird of paradise

You'll need a heavy clay pot so it doesn't fall over, they can get a bit top heavy.
    You'll need a heavy clay pot so it doesn't fall over, they can get a bit top heavy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. stumorphmac

Glorious superba

Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also...
    Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also known as flame lily, gloriosa superbaAlso there are some topics on the forum about this plant i...
    Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also known as flame lily, gloriosa superbaAlso there...
    Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lindylootoo

Giant Yukka?

Thanks for the replies. Yes - it does look like a Cordyline Australis. There are some shorter stems which I could leave for a while. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get quotes for it's...
    Thanks for the replies. Yes - it does look like a Cordyline Australis. There are some shorter stems which I could leave for a while. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get quotes for it's removal first. I'm on the Isle of Wight. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the replies. Yes - it does look like a Cordyline Australis. There are some shorter stems which I could leave for a while. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get quotes for it's removal first. I'm on the Isle of Wight. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the replies. Yes - it does look like a Cordyline Australis. There are some shorter stems which I could leave for a while. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get quotes for it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Victoria
    Like x 4

Jatropha podagrica (Buddha Belly Plant)

Here is Monday (Jatropha podagrica) today. He did lose all his leaves over the Winter.
    Here is Monday (Jatropha podagrica) today. He did lose all his leaves over the Winter.
    Mnday1 19 Jul.jpg Monday2 19 Jul.jpg Monday319 Jul.jpg Monday4 19 Jul.jpg Monday5 19 Jul.jpg Monday1 28 Jul.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Victoria

Lablab purpureus Dolichos

Good to see them doing well @Victoria
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sogni verdi

Cordyline Australis advice.

Also to add, in a pot, the stem seems to be spindlier
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. noisette47

Chonemorpha fragrans

Yes, it was, Michael :) I was actually after Mandevilla boliviensis or Jasminum angulaire, but it's good to have an ambition in life .....:biggrin:
    Yes, it was, Michael :) I was actually after Mandevilla boliviensis or Jasminum angulaire, but it's good to have an ambition in life .....:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. longk
    Like x 6

Passiflora and other "exotic" climbers

That is really lovely Vicky.My parents had a huge one that if left to do as it wished would have taken over the back of their kitchen wall......we had to fight our way through it at times to get...
    That is really lovely Vicky.My parents had a huge one that if left to do as it wished would have taken over the back of their kitchen wall......we had to fight our way through it at times to get in and out of the side gate!! Back when Mum was still with us she had it neatly under control.:dbgrtmb: In...
    That is really lovely Vicky.My parents had a huge one that if left to do as it wished would have taken over the back of their kitchen wall......we had to fight our way through it at times to get in and out of the side gate!! Back when Mum was...
    That is really lovely Vicky.My parents had a huge one that if left to do as it wished would have taken over the back of their kitchen wall......we had to fight our way through it at times to get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Purple Streaks

Trachycarpus

That small and I reckon it's become an ex trachy. I won't use the word dead, as i can't see it. If you require a very small seedling to replace it, let me know. These things are popping up below...
    That small and I reckon it's become an ex trachy. I won't use the word dead, as i can't see it. If you require a very small seedling to replace it, let me know. These things are popping up below one of my flowering ones
    That small and I reckon it's become an ex trachy. I won't use the word dead, as i can't see it. If you require a very small seedling to replace it, let me know. These things are popping up below one of my flowering ones
    That small and I reckon it's become an ex trachy. I won't use the word dead, as i can't see it. If you require a very small seedling to replace it, let me know. These things are popping up below...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jamiee

Unhappy Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma (Mini Monstera)

That was going to be my next suggestion. :dbgrtmb:A repot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. pete

Hedychium, Tara. Ginger.

I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly...
    I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly hardy in a well drained sunny spot.Numbers are limited but if I get a reasonable response I might...
    I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly hardy in a well drained sunny spot.Numbers are...
    I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly...
    DSC01725.JPG DSC01726.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pete

Palms

I've got a big Waggie right next to my conservatory and up till now the roots dont appear to be causing any problems. Palms dont appear to have the surface spreading roots that broad leaved trees do.
    I've got a big Waggie right next to my conservatory and up till now the roots dont appear to be causing any problems. Palms dont appear to have the surface spreading roots that broad leaved trees do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Purple Streaks

Have you grown bananas from seed?

Thank you I've enough to try the window method too ! This is going to be interesting............or not:hapydancsmil:
    Thank you I've enough to try the window method too ! This is going to be interesting............or not:hapydancsmil:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Sogni verdi

Pineapple guava – Feijoa selloana

Not really too bothered about fruiting, but if it did it would be viewed purely as a bonus. Easterly winds could be an issue i guess, but like many other things in the garden i would be prepared...
    Not really too bothered about fruiting, but if it did it would be viewed purely as a bonus. Easterly winds could be an issue i guess, but like many other things in the garden i would be prepared to chance it.
    Not really too bothered about fruiting, but if it did it would be viewed purely as a bonus. Easterly winds could be an issue i guess, but like many other things in the garden i would be prepared to chance it.
    Not really too bothered about fruiting, but if it did it would be viewed purely as a bonus. Easterly winds could be an issue i guess, but like many other things in the garden i would be prepared...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mylo

Spot the rot

I really think it will be ok and 50% off is good, you can take the worst leaves off but personally Id put up with it for a while, with the days getting longer it should soon grow away.
    I really think it will be ok and 50% off is good, you can take the worst leaves off but personally Id put up with it for a while, with the days getting longer it should soon grow away.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sogni verdi

Phormium advice

Oops! Sorry I've only just seen your previous post, SV! I wonder if what you've bought is also known as 'Yellow Wave'? Another excellent Phormium. Gets to about 6'/1.8m. Looking forward to...
    Oops! Sorry I've only just seen your previous post, SV! I wonder if what you've bought is also known as 'Yellow Wave'? Another excellent Phormium. Gets to about 6'/1.8m. Looking forward to further pics when they're established :)
    Oops! Sorry I've only just seen your previous post, SV! I wonder if what you've bought is also known as 'Yellow Wave'? Another excellent Phormium. Gets to about 6'/1.8m. Looking forward to further pics when they're established :)
    Oops! Sorry I've only just seen your previous post, SV! I wonder if what you've bought is also known as 'Yellow Wave'? Another excellent Phormium. Gets to about 6'/1.8m. Looking forward to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. buddleia64

Caterpillars inside my lemons!

maybe they have timed it right , been in since you covered up your plant hatched out in the warmth of fleece even a fruity appetizer . :love30::runforhills::runforhills:
    maybe they have timed it right , been in since you covered up your plant hatched out in the warmth of fleece even a fruity appetizer . :love30::runforhills::runforhills:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 5

Cannas 2021

2022 thread : Cannas 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. shiney

What's looking Exotic in 2021

2022 Thread : What's looking Exotic in 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria
    Like x 5

Poinciettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)

Ahh, ;)but you can buy them in pots, flowering pretty much any time during the summer due to the alteration of day length.
    Ahh, ;)but you can buy them in pots, flowering pretty much any time during the summer due to the alteration of day length.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice