Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. wildflower

banana plants

Is that basjoo, banana man, I had one flower a couple of years ago but no fruit. I was under the impression that they needed another plant to pollenate, unless its something like cavendishii. I...
    Is that basjoo, banana man, I had one flower a couple of years ago but no fruit. I was under the impression that they needed another plant to pollenate, unless its something like cavendishii. I hope your right about the hot summer. :D
    Is that basjoo, banana man, I had one flower a couple of years ago but no fruit. I was under the impression that they needed another plant to pollenate, unless its something like cavendishii. I hope your right about the hot summer. :D
    Is that basjoo, banana man, I had one flower a couple of years ago but no fruit. I was under the impression that they needed another plant to pollenate, unless its something like cavendishii. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Honey Bee

Bananas - have I killed them?

Do [ 02. May 2006, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. julesrad

cordyline

I have a cordyline with 2 young plants growing from the bottom, can i cut these off and grow, or what is the best way to grow them on.
    I have a cordyline with 2 young plants growing from the bottom, can i cut these off and grow, or what is the best way to grow them on.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Daisies

keeping bananas

yes, she eats them all! She loves all fruit, and carrots too! Between her and the birds, we rarely got any loganberries! And I've seen her on her back legs, front legs in the air, stretching...
    yes, she eats them all! She loves all fruit, and carrots too! Between her and the birds, we rarely got any loganberries! And I've seen her on her back legs, front legs in the air, stretching her head up for grapes! :D
    yes, she eats them all! She loves all fruit, and carrots too! Between her and the birds, we rarely got any loganberries! And I've seen her on her back legs, front legs in the air, stretching her head up for grapes! :D
    yes, she eats them all! She loves all fruit, and carrots too! Between her and the birds, we rarely got any loganberries! And I've seen her on her back legs, front legs in the air, stretching...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. maxine

Rubber Plant

Anne Marie, you could cut the old plant back pretty hard and let it shoot away from the base.
    Anne Marie, you could cut the old plant back pretty hard and let it shoot away from the base.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. DoubleD

Pampass

DEFINATELY DON'T BURN, you can use what ever means needed to remove the dead leaves, as long as the new ones are not cut. yes trim with hedge trimmer to above the new growth, or by hand,...
    DEFINATELY DON'T BURN, you can use what ever means needed to remove the dead leaves, as long as the new ones are not cut. yes trim with hedge trimmer to above the new growth, or by hand, remembering to wear suitable hand protection, and arms covered.
    DEFINATELY DON'T BURN, you can use what ever means needed to remove the dead leaves, as long as the new ones are not cut. yes trim with hedge trimmer to above the new growth, or by hand, remembering to wear suitable hand protection, and arms covered.
    DEFINATELY DON'T BURN, you can use what ever means needed to remove the dead leaves, as long as the new ones are not cut. yes trim with hedge trimmer to above the new growth, or by hand,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. grinch

musa bajoo

PeteGorgeous leaves. Is getting rid of all the fruit a problem? :DNik
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. steveb1973

Advice needed Sago palm

Do let us know how you get on, I have one as well as hundreds of other gardeners and, mine is not over healthy may be due to the very cold winter.
    Do let us know how you get on, I have one as well as hundreds of other gardeners and, mine is not over healthy may be due to the very cold winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. strongylodon

"Palmyfying of Britain

I've used the palm centre, and its worth a visit if you like palms of course :D But they also sell other plants, must say they are a bit pricey I thought, and some of their hardiness claims are...
    I've used the palm centre, and its worth a visit if you like palms of course :D But they also sell other plants, must say they are a bit pricey I thought, and some of their hardiness claims are a bit stretched. Well I think so, anyway. They tend to say that it will survive at a certain...
    I've used the palm centre, and its worth a visit if you like palms of course :D But they also sell other plants, must say they are a bit pricey I thought, and some of their hardiness claims are a bit stretched. Well I think so, anyway. They...
    I've used the palm centre, and its worth a visit if you like palms of course :D But they also sell other plants, must say they are a bit pricey I thought, and some of their hardiness claims are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. geoff

Canna`s

If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its...
    If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its normal time for bedding plants in your area. That way they flower much earlier. :D
    If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its normal time for bedding plants in your area. That...
    If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mayflower

cordyline

thank you pete2255 think we will leave them on till the summer then see what it looks like if we deside to take them of will we have to use rooting powder. thanks again...
    thank you pete2255 think we will leave them on till the summer then see what it looks like if we deside to take them of will we have to use rooting powder. thanks again...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. duckyjuk

outsde yukka

im moving house soon ab=nd want to take my outside yukka with me...Is it safe to dig it up now...January and replant?
    im moving house soon ab=nd want to take my outside yukka with me...Is it safe to dig it up now...January and replant?
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. em

kiwi plant??

Try here folks, for a self fertile variety http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=kiwi&producttype_id=48050
    Try here folks, for a self fertile variety http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=kiwi&producttype_id=48050
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. BOB WHITTON

avacardo

Or a little Gin, to er, cleanse the palate. :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. SteveW

Overwintering Cannas

To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight...
    To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight sround here :D :mad:
    To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight sround here :D :mad:
    To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. tina

rubber plant

tina, cuttings do root but the usual method of air layering works well, although I find it a bit of a messy job. Really it is better if you can wait till spring though.
    tina, cuttings do root but the usual method of air layering works well, although I find it a bit of a messy job. Really it is better if you can wait till spring though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hans

bananas again

Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and...
    Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and you fellows can have a final check to see whether it is a Basjoo or sikkimiensis, I don't mind either...
    Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and you fellows can have a final check to see whether it...
    Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. hollowaykid

Yucca plant

Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps...
    Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps just over half of the protruding leaves first time, wait to make sure its not adversely affected it...
    Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps just over half of the protruding leaves first...
    Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Nik

Over Wintering Exotics

I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't...
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't dry out in the winter.
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't dry out in the winter.
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. carol00

yukka

Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them...
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them could be difficult at this time of the year though. I cut mine with a fine toothed saw, let the cut...
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them could be difficult at this time of the year though. I...
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice