1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. shiney

What's looking Exotic in 2021

2022 Thread : What's looking Exotic in 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Victoria
    Like x 5

Poinciettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)

Ahh, ;)but you can buy them in pots, flowering pretty much any time during the summer due to the alteration of day length.
    Ahh, ;)but you can buy them in pots, flowering pretty much any time during the summer due to the alteration of day length.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. P Jeffries

Wrapping a palm for winter

OK, thanks for your comments, everyone - I'll reduce the layers of fleece!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Syd Hutchinson

Abyssinian problem

Similar to what others are saying. Thanks. It seems scary cutting all the leaves off and baring the roots. One would think that is the best way to kill it. I have seen Monty do it but it seemed...
    Similar to what others are saying. Thanks. It seems scary cutting all the leaves off and baring the roots. One would think that is the best way to kill it. I have seen Monty do it but it seemed drastic. However I shall try it.
    Similar to what others are saying. Thanks. It seems scary cutting all the leaves off and baring the roots. One would think that is the best way to kill it. I have seen Monty do it but it seemed drastic. However I shall try it.
    Similar to what others are saying. Thanks. It seems scary cutting all the leaves off and baring the roots. One would think that is the best way to kill it. I have seen Monty do it but it seemed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. RobFJ

Better environment for insectivorous plants

Hi @RobFJ , welcome to the forum!The Garden Superstore has a good selection of both decorative and strictly practical planters. I have ordered some for houseplants and have been happy with the...
    Hi @RobFJ , welcome to the forum!The Garden Superstore has a good selection of both decorative and strictly practical planters. I have ordered some for houseplants and have been happy with the products and the service.Please do post some photos of your plants, insectivores are fascinating :)
    Hi @RobFJ , welcome to the forum!The Garden Superstore has a good selection of both decorative and strictly practical planters. I have ordered some for houseplants and have been happy with the products and the service.Please do post some...
    Hi @RobFJ , welcome to the forum!The Garden Superstore has a good selection of both decorative and strictly practical planters. I have ordered some for houseplants and have been happy with the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Victoria
    Like x 5

Allamanda cathartica

I don't know it's age as I have only had it a few months. Yes, it is outside in a pot. I cannot have any plants indoors as I live in an old cottage with 60cm walls and small windows.
    I don't know it's age as I have only had it a few months. Yes, it is outside in a pot. I cannot have any plants indoors as I live in an old cottage with 60cm walls and small windows.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. kindredspirit
    Like x 9

Xeric Bed.

Echinopsis "Shirley Pink" (Abbey Brook hybrid)
    078.JPG 005.JPG IMG_1189 (2).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. pete
    Like x 6

Exotic fruit or at least exotic to the UK.

Yes I grow the basic long, purple variety, but gave up starting them from seed about 10 years ago. The plants produced for sale on the markets here are so far superior to what I can produce...
    Yes I grow the basic long, purple variety, but gave up starting them from seed about 10 years ago. The plants produced for sale on the markets here are so far superior to what I can produce without heat in the polytunnel. Last year was disastrous as the plants got greenfly and were too sickly to...
    Yes I grow the basic long, purple variety, but gave up starting them from seed about 10 years ago. The plants produced for sale on the markets here are so far superior to what I can produce without heat in the polytunnel. Last year was disastrous...
    Yes I grow the basic long, purple variety, but gave up starting them from seed about 10 years ago. The plants produced for sale on the markets here are so far superior to what I can produce...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Ademission

Avocado - Brown leaves. Is it salt build up?

Hello Giri,Thank you for all of the above useful information. I envy you living in such a nice and warm environment. It must give you many options when it comes to interesting plants.I've just...
    Hello Giri,Thank you for all of the above useful information. I envy you living in such a nice and warm environment. It must give you many options when it comes to interesting plants.I've just spent the last half hour taking Cherry pips out of stones and also Apricot seeds. They are now...
    Hello Giri,Thank you for all of the above useful information. I envy you living in such a nice and warm environment. It must give you many options when it comes to interesting plants.I've just spent the last half hour taking Cherry pips out...
    Hello Giri,Thank you for all of the above useful information. I envy you living in such a nice and warm environment. It must give you many options when it comes to interesting plants.I've just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. PMoo

Tetrapanax Rex Alive?

I have this cobra lilly beside my tetrapanex. Thought I’d post it as he’s a sight.
    I have this cobra lilly beside my tetrapanex. Thought I’d post it as he’s a sight.
    B3D65475-5234-4B66-B733-C95A048A7BF8.jpeg 62053C1C-69C0-4B79-A843-C7627EABFACD.jpeg D86CE9C7-4A8F-42D0-BB54-0F3F4115ED48.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Elliewellie

Mature Monstera yellowing leaves

Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial...
    Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial roots into it.
    Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial roots into it.
    Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Mary by the sea

Strelitzia

Thanks again. I have a south facing garden, so sunny spots aren’t a problem. Will also note your advice re frost protection
    Thanks again. I have a south facing garden, so sunny spots aren’t a problem. Will also note your advice re frost protection
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Gilly31

What is this beautiful flower?

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. He assures me they are real. I think they are stunning
    Thank you all for your input and suggestions. He assures me they are real. I think they are stunning
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. rarened

Eucalyptus in trouble

Not sure, give the bark a scrape at the bottom and see if it is still green.I'm wondering if they are dying up wards, if you get my meaning.I think these have a Limited life in pots any way.
    Not sure, give the bark a scrape at the bottom and see if it is still green.I'm wondering if they are dying up wards, if you get my meaning.I think these have a Limited life in pots any way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Green Gremlin

Brought a mussa Abbysian Ventricusum

Ah I see. Haha that's why googling shows up just the red variety, thanks for reply. Keeping it for a few more weeks indoors,
    Ah I see. Haha that's why googling shows up just the red variety, thanks for reply. Keeping it for a few more weeks indoors,
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Mark L Cliff

My Musa Banana Plant is a mess!

Leave the leaves on until it's made some more decent sized ones.I only cut off leaves that are pretty much dead.
    Leave the leaves on until it's made some more decent sized ones.I only cut off leaves that are pretty much dead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK
    Like x 12

What's looking Exotic in 2020

New Thread Here:-What's looking Exotic in 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Purple Streaks

Anglian bulb comp a ny

Yes I Highly recommend Anglian bulbs , all my best bulbs/tubers have come from them.
    Yes I Highly recommend Anglian bulbs , all my best bulbs/tubers have come from them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mel03

My mango tree is dying, is it too late??

Hehehe! No, it was autocorrect getting carried away.... I typed “colder”, and autocorrect substituted “children”.
    Hehehe! No, it was autocorrect getting carried away.... I typed “colder”, and autocorrect substituted “children”.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jonny

Tetrapanax Rex help please!

Good to know. I’ll be keeping mine in pots for a while as expecting to have to move about for a few years.
    Good to know. I’ll be keeping mine in pots for a while as expecting to have to move about for a few years.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice