Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. PhilC

Has my pineapple plant had it?

I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads...
    I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads they absorb feed and water through their leaves, so misting a couple of times a day is good, along...
    I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads they absorb feed and water through their leaves,...
    I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. JWK

What's looking Exotic 2021

I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to...
    I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to -15°C agree expected).
    I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to -15°C agree expected).
    I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Texas Pete

Cordyline surface root question

During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the...
    During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the phormiums 're sprutted. And the cordylines where one had been just the individual 7 started growing...
    During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the phormiums 're sprutted. And the cordylines where...
    During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PhilC

Problems germinating gunnera seeds

Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as...
    Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as they say.:biggrin: :dbgrtmb:
    Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as they say.:biggrin: :dbgrtmb:
    Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. HarryS

Hardy Palm Suggestion?

Don't go for a massive one to start with, at £30 per foot you'll need at least a 3 footer for a decent show - a lot of money in my book.
    Don't go for a massive one to start with, at £30 per foot you'll need at least a 3 footer for a decent show - a lot of money in my book.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. john mackay
    Like x 6

First thread ,few pics hopefully

Thanks upsydasy . The next door neighbours have a young son . He'll be 3 soon . Did it for him .
    Thanks upsydasy . The next door neighbours have a young son . He'll be 3 soon . Did it for him .
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PhilC

Musa Ensete Maurelli problems...Help!

I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green...
    I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green plant. Musa is a different group of plants.
    I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green plant. Musa is a different group of plants.
    I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. buddleia64

Fig Tree

I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the...
    I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the weather warms up next year; in previous years I've found about 50% of them go on to ripen properly,...
    I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the weather warms up next year; in previous years I've...
    I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Texas Pete

Chamaerops planting and questions.

Well it is definitely growing nicely, has thrown out loads of new growth on the top, and has been suckering since I posted this - although no doubt this will wind down as winter approaches! Cheers!
    Well it is definitely growing nicely, has thrown out loads of new growth on the top, and has been suckering since I posted this - although no doubt this will wind down as winter approaches! Cheers!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Guy Greening

Germinating bonsai

Thank you so much mike and selleri I will look up both of them sites and thanks again for the information both of you it’s a massive help @Selleri @Mike Allen
    Thank you so much mike and selleri I will look up both of them sites and thanks again for the information both of you it’s a massive help @Selleri @Mike Allen
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. buddleia64

Lemon Tree Over Winter

Mine comes into the conservatory each Winter, usually around the end of October. The Meyers Lemon (lemon/Mandarin cross) also comes in too. Because it is heated I keep them moist as the...
    Mine comes into the conservatory each Winter, usually around the end of October. The Meyers Lemon (lemon/Mandarin cross) also comes in too. Because it is heated I keep them moist as the temperature rarely drops below 8c even on the coldest nights.
    Mine comes into the conservatory each Winter, usually around the end of October. The Meyers Lemon (lemon/Mandarin cross) also comes in too. Because it is heated I keep them moist as the temperature rarely drops below 8c even on the coldest nights.
    Mine comes into the conservatory each Winter, usually around the end of October. The Meyers Lemon (lemon/Mandarin cross) also comes in too. Because it is heated I keep them moist as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Black Orchid

Help for tropical hibiscus wanted

Thank you very much, Luis. I follow all these recommendations. The only thing which is different is that I treat my hibiscuses as houseplants.
    Thank you very much, Luis. I follow all these recommendations. The only thing which is different is that I treat my hibiscuses as houseplants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Purple Streaks

Starting off with tropicals

Update on tropical seedRooting through a forgotten box of seed I have found some p kts of seed from Chilterns seeds . I have Protea and Banksia.CId thought about soaking them for a few...
    Update on tropical seedRooting through a forgotten box of seed I have found some p kts of seed from Chilterns seeds . I have Protea and Banksia.CId thought about soaking them for a few hours in tepid water.or even overnight and planting in a seed tray, maybe using a propagators which goes...
    Update on tropical seedRooting through a forgotten box of seed I have found some p kts of seed from Chilterns seeds . I have Protea and Banksia.CId thought about soaking them for a few hours in tepid water.or even overnight and planting in...
    Update on tropical seedRooting through a forgotten box of seed I have found some p kts of seed from Chilterns seeds . I have Protea and Banksia.CId thought about soaking them for a few...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. momo1103

Yellow spots on lemon plant

Hi all, Does anyone know why my lemon plant has recently started getting small yellow spots on its leaves? If it is harmful how do I get rid of them/make sure it doesn't get any more?
    Hi all, Does anyone know why my lemon plant has recently started getting small yellow spots on its leaves? If it is harmful how do I get rid of them/make sure it doesn't get any more?
    IMG_2401.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Victoria

Schinus molle (Peruvian pepper)

Thanks Pete. The trunk is about two meters tall so not too small, plus in giant pot If T'other Hallf doesn't want to tackle it, I'll wait till Ben the Gardener comes in a week or two to trim...
    Thanks Pete. The trunk is about two meters tall so not too small, plus in giant pot If T'other Hallf doesn't want to tackle it, I'll wait till Ben the Gardener comes in a week or two to trim the shrubs (Tecomaria, Tecoma Stans, Oleanders) ... I don't 'do' ladders! :biggrin:
    Thanks Pete. The trunk is about two meters tall so not too small, plus in giant pot If T'other Hallf doesn't want to tackle it, I'll wait till Ben the Gardener comes in a week or two to trim the shrubs (Tecomaria, Tecoma Stans, Oleanders) ......
    Thanks Pete. The trunk is about two meters tall so not too small, plus in giant pot If T'other Hallf doesn't want to tackle it, I'll wait till Ben the Gardener comes in a week or two to trim...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. weedaway

Tropical Propagation

:scratch:I guess its too late to take them back.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Black Orchid
    Like x 14

Happy to share my excitement!

How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete,...
    How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete, @strongylodon, @JWK and a few others who have left the forum. I have taken advice from those not in my...
    How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete, @strongylodon, @JWK and a few others who have left the...
    How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Black Orchid

Could anybody share their experience growing dwarf Crape Myrtle Berry Dazzle?

Wow! So beautiful!
    Wow! So beautiful!
    Wow! So beautiful!
    Wow! So beautiful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Black Orchid

Is anybody successfully growing Acacia Dealbata?

Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me...
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me later about your experience, please.
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me later about your experience, please.
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ARMANDII

CANNA - 2020

My cannas are over 7 ft tall, they have taken a bit of a battering in the recent gales:
    My cannas are over 7 ft tall, they have taken a bit of a battering in the recent gales:
    20200208_111826.jpg 20200208_111817.jpg IMG_4457.jpg 20200409_125617.jpg 20200409_125708.jpg 20200409_125751.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice