Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Purple Streaks

buying Seeds for tropical plants?

Another advantage of buying seeds from overseas companies is that it makes the range of seeds available absolutely huge. And they are pretty cheap to post.
    Another advantage of buying seeds from overseas companies is that it makes the range of seeds available absolutely huge. And they are pretty cheap to post.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. PeterS
    Like x 14

What's looking exotic in 2019

Exotic plants in the local area taken today.
    2019_01130002.JPG 2019_01130003.JPG 2019_01130004.JPG DSC_1657.JPG DSC_1658.JPG 2019_03090007.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. MAJ

Musella lasciocarpa and Cycas revoluta protection

Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. strongylodon
    Like x 11

Conservatory odds and ends.

Thanks, both They've defeated me up to now, whatever method I tried, but will have another go.
    Thanks, both They've defeated me up to now, whatever method I tried, but will have another go.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Black Orchid

Mimosa problems. Need urgent help.

Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I...
    Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I just could not forget Acacias. I already had one but not in buds. So I came again with the...
    Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I just could not forget Acacias. I already had one...
    Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ
    Like x 4

German Grapefruit

I grew one many years ago from seed and did my usual winter covering but with no heat, it survived every winter but never fruited. Eventually I had to get rid of it due to building work.
    I grew one many years ago from seed and did my usual winter covering but with no heat, it survived every winter but never fruited. Eventually I had to get rid of it due to building work.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. sal73

Mango and Papaya

Update on my mango plant(s) As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.
    Update on my mango plant(s) As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.
    Jaakko.JPG FCE6B969-CD5C-487C-BDBE-1A8CA6078456.jpeg 2EFBAF7A-F529-431A-ADCD-3623A3A4D097.jpeg DSC_0239.JPG 2F97406F-F46A-4202-AE08-B88FA2A2028D.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Andy Chapman

Banana Plant

Got a sneaking suspicion your banana is coming into flower.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. longk
    Like x 3

Puya

Have this in virtually every pot ... if it is not Oxalis, it is Jacaranda seedlings, dozens of them, one reason for hainge one cut down! :hate-shocked: :help:
    Have this in virtually every pot ... if it is not Oxalis, it is Jacaranda seedlings, dozens of them, one reason for hainge one cut down! :hate-shocked: :help:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK
    Like x 6

CANNA 2019

Canna time.
    Canna time.
    Canna time.
    Canna time.
    IMG_20180817_085621067 (2).jpg DSCN1712.JPG 20190126_113423.jpg Screenshot_20190126-131407_Chrome.jpg 20190215_144606.jpg 20190215_121028.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PeterS
    Like x 10

The flowers of Madeira.

i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. koalabear

Trachycarpus Fortunei - moving

Fab! I will definitely be giving this a go this summer... and will keep you updated : )
    Fab! I will definitely be giving this a go this summer... and will keep you updated : )
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Darren Pennell

Evergreen tropical vine for the conservatory?

I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This...
    I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This Red Buttons
    I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This Red Buttons
    I have always wanted a conservatory so I could grow a couple of Hoyas.. I will never have a conservatory so I visit a friend who has a Red Buttons and White Bells Have a google at Hoya..This...
    upload_2019-6-9_19-38-4.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jurassic Gardener

Tetrapanax Help Please

Wait :biggrin:. Best to make sure that it doesn't dry out but don't over water. I'd resist feeding.
    Wait :biggrin:. Best to make sure that it doesn't dry out but don't over water. I'd resist feeding.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David L Van Rooy

Red Jade Vine, Mucuna Bennetti, stopped blooming

Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost...
    Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost around it. Thanks again, Dave
    Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost around it. Thanks again, Dave
    Just an update to thank you, especially CarolineL and pete, and let you know all's working well now -- it's blooming again after adding some good fertilizer to it. I'll now continue using compost...
    KKM.jpg 20190419_154029.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Lydia

I’m so scared to move my plant!!!

They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a...
    They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a small one. Once the aerial roots attach themselves to the wall you cant move them anyway.:biggrin:
    They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a small one. Once the aerial roots attach...
    They are fairly accommodating regarding light levels. Mine gets some full sun and grows well but I have grown them in lower light and they do well also. They get pretty big if happy, mine is a...
    image.jpg image.jpg DSC_0101.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. andrews
    Like x 3

Tropical Border Project

Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says...
    Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says leave them in. It doesn't need to be med. all year round and the bulbs are great to see after a...
    Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says leave them in. It doesn't need to be med. all year...
    Well the med. type planting theme has taken a bit of a beating with the spring bulbs coming up. Mainly daffs with some tulips.Part of me wanted to take them out but the other part of me says...
    CE896A77-54B4-42B3-A48B-F9879E5C3FCA.jpeg IMG_4016.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lowrider69

Footstool palm - Livistona Rotundifolia dying :(

will take that as a yes then lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Bilbo675
    Like x 3

Successful Arundo donax Propagation

Mine's going to get hoed off to within a metre of it's life tomorrow.....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. WeeTam

Wrapping a Treefern

Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big...
    Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big fella is just too heavy and tall so still outdoors.Next year its the soil cable and straw and...
    Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big fella is just too heavy and tall so still...
    Im still getting Ptsd from loosing 6 5 footers in that 2010 winter. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it :gaah:Since then 6 x 3footers in the conservatory,4x 5 footers in the garage. The big...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice