Water Gardening

Discussion For All Water Related Features & Projects

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. bowmanera

Graf water barrel tap

3 years ago I took up an offer through the local council and ordered a water barrel from Blackwater. After a long wait a Graf 200 litre barrel arrived, but the tap that came with it was a Sankey...
    3 years ago I took up an offer through the local council and ordered a water barrel from Blackwater. After a long wait a Graf 200 litre barrel arrived, but the tap that came with it was a Sankey type and would not fit. Eventually the right tap was received. (For information if you are unaware,...
    3 years ago I took up an offer through the local council and ordered a water barrel from Blackwater. After a long wait a Graf 200 litre barrel arrived, but the tap that came with it was a Sankey type and would not fit. Eventually the right tap...
    3 years ago I took up an offer through the local council and ordered a water barrel from Blackwater. After a long wait a Graf 200 litre barrel arrived, but the tap that came with it was a Sankey...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. weekend gardener

waterfall advice

Yes it's a constant problem with the leaks RR, and we a have a pre-formed plastic pond too. We were going to see to the leak last weekend but it poured down for the 2 days.
    Yes it's a constant problem with the leaks RR, and we a have a pre-formed plastic pond too. We were going to see to the leak last weekend but it poured down for the 2 days.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. grab

Pond project - wet drystone walls etc

Drystone wall, viewed from the frontDrystone wall viewed from the "side"My point being drystone walls need to be wide (or thick) to give any support, which would also take a lot of space...
    Drystone wall, viewed from the frontDrystone wall viewed from the "side"My point being drystone walls need to be wide (or thick) to give any support, which would also take a lot of space from any proposed pond. It will be pet proof, but look at all those little spaces for algae to...
    Drystone wall, viewed from the frontDrystone wall viewed from the "side"My point being drystone walls need to be wide (or thick) to give any support, which would also take a lot of space from any proposed pond. It will be pet proof, but...
    Drystone wall, viewed from the frontDrystone wall viewed from the "side"My point being drystone walls need to be wide (or thick) to give any support, which would also take a lot of space...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. avz10
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. nickp

Attracting Newts to my pond

to check for newts , go out at night and look in the pond with a torch - you will be amazed at what you see
    to check for newts , go out at night and look in the pond with a torch - you will be amazed at what you see
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Maurice

Frogs Spawn and Newts

I seperate the frog spawn just leave a bit for the newts, I also net the spawn out of the koi pond where a lot of the frogs insist on going to spawn,it's placed in containers all over the garden...
    I seperate the frog spawn just leave a bit for the newts, I also net the spawn out of the koi pond where a lot of the frogs insist on going to spawn,it's placed in containers all over the garden were the tadpoles develope into frogs in relative safety.
    I seperate the frog spawn just leave a bit for the newts, I also net the spawn out of the koi pond where a lot of the frogs insist on going to spawn,it's placed in containers all over the garden were the tadpoles develope into frogs in relative...
    I seperate the frog spawn just leave a bit for the newts, I also net the spawn out of the koi pond where a lot of the frogs insist on going to spawn,it's placed in containers all over the garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Maurice

Bad colour Pond

Try adding Barley straw. It's possible to buy it in pellet form,but I just stuffed an old pair of tights with it and weighted it to sink to the bottom...Excellent results too.
    Try adding Barley straw. It's possible to buy it in pellet form,but I just stuffed an old pair of tights with it and weighted it to sink to the bottom...Excellent results too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. clueless1

Suitable for a pond?

Thanks. Next time I go up I'll do a bit of fishing with a jam jar and a bamboo cane:)
    Thanks. Next time I go up I'll do a bit of fishing with a jam jar and a bamboo cane:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. lollipop

Help for the first time water gardener.

I suggest you look to see what your husband has done and do that. Seriously, some plants will look nice but that is all they will do, if you want to get rid of the green water you need a U.V and...
    I suggest you look to see what your husband has done and do that. Seriously, some plants will look nice but that is all they will do, if you want to get rid of the green water you need a U.V and filter, only it needs to be in proportion to your pool volume, not as big as you would find in a koi...
    I suggest you look to see what your husband has done and do that. Seriously, some plants will look nice but that is all they will do, if you want to get rid of the green water you need a U.V and filter, only it needs to be in proportion to your...
    I suggest you look to see what your husband has done and do that. Seriously, some plants will look nice but that is all they will do, if you want to get rid of the green water you need a U.V and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. solaar

Laburnum detritus in pond

Trees can shed their leaves, pollen and berries into pond from a great distance especially if a pond is downwind from them. Laburnum and Yew have to be at the top of the danger list since every...
    Trees can shed their leaves, pollen and berries into pond from a great distance especially if a pond is downwind from them. Laburnum and Yew have to be at the top of the danger list since every part of these trees including the pollen is poisonous. Alder Buckthorn too has poisonous leaves, ...
    Trees can shed their leaves, pollen and berries into pond from a great distance especially if a pond is downwind from them. Laburnum and Yew have to be at the top of the danger list since every part of these trees including the pollen is...
    Trees can shed their leaves, pollen and berries into pond from a great distance especially if a pond is downwind from them. Laburnum and Yew have to be at the top of the danger list since every...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Tangle

Pond safety cover recommendations (with added duckweed...)

I think I see what you're saying, but my reading of the sites was different - they both seemed to show a reasonable mix of installations both over and under the water. They don't seem to hide the...
    I think I see what you're saying, but my reading of the sites was different - they both seemed to show a reasonable mix of installations both over and under the water. They don't seem to hide the fact the above-water installations are possible or that they are safer. I'm also suprised that...
    I think I see what you're saying, but my reading of the sites was different - they both seemed to show a reasonable mix of installations both over and under the water. They don't seem to hide the fact the above-water installations are possible...
    I think I see what you're saying, but my reading of the sites was different - they both seemed to show a reasonable mix of installations both over and under the water. They don't seem to hide the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bally

pondless waterfall

For a waterfall to work there are lots of things to be taken into consideration. Roughly it goes like this. Width of waterfall, depth of water required, height to actual fall from sump. ...
    For a waterfall to work there are lots of things to be taken into consideration. Roughly it goes like this. Width of waterfall, depth of water required, height to actual fall from sump. Width. The wider it is the more water will be required at the top. Water Depth For a...
    For a waterfall to work there are lots of things to be taken into consideration. Roughly it goes like this. Width of waterfall, depth of water required, height to actual fall from sump. Width. The wider it is the more water will...
    For a waterfall to work there are lots of things to be taken into consideration. Roughly it goes like this. Width of waterfall, depth of water required, height to actual fall from sump. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lyn

Pond coming to life.

I have the pond cleaning on my list for tomorrow. Weather permitting. No frogspawn yet but plenty of frogs about today.
    I have the pond cleaning on my list for tomorrow. Weather permitting. No frogspawn yet but plenty of frogs about today.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. danskitt

removing ponds and water table advice

I thought that would be the case. The only thing I can think of is filling the existing whole with rubble to maintain drainage then build a raised bed. Luckily the area effected is only a small...
    I thought that would be the case. The only thing I can think of is filling the existing whole with rubble to maintain drainage then build a raised bed. Luckily the area effected is only a small area of the garden.I am looking to turn the area into a vegatable patch, how deep would raised bed...
    I thought that would be the case. The only thing I can think of is filling the existing whole with rubble to maintain drainage then build a raised bed. Luckily the area effected is only a small area of the garden.I am looking to turn the area...
    I thought that would be the case. The only thing I can think of is filling the existing whole with rubble to maintain drainage then build a raised bed. Luckily the area effected is only a small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Vince

Water Gardening!!!!!!

I know we have a separate board for it BUT, can I grow rice in my paddy field allotment plot? :(I'm in the process of digging drainage channels, hindered by the previous occupants unrealistic...
    I know we have a separate board for it BUT, can I grow rice in my paddy field allotment plot? :(I'm in the process of digging drainage channels, hindered by the previous occupants unrealistic attempts to to grow carpets and timber board! :@I know the allotment bosses are frustrated at...
    I know we have a separate board for it BUT, can I grow rice in my paddy field allotment plot? :(I'm in the process of digging drainage channels, hindered by the previous occupants unrealistic attempts to to grow carpets and timber board! ...
    I know we have a separate board for it BUT, can I grow rice in my paddy field allotment plot? :(I'm in the process of digging drainage channels, hindered by the previous occupants unrealistic...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. timecharger

Have you ever dug an unlined (puddled clay) pond?

My dad and I between us have done several of these, as have neighbouring gardeners. The amount of work involved depends largely on the composition of the soil, and the general shape of the patch...
    My dad and I between us have done several of these, as have neighbouring gardeners. The amount of work involved depends largely on the composition of the soil, and the general shape of the patch of land.In every case that my dad and I have done, we have always worked with what's already...
    My dad and I between us have done several of these, as have neighbouring gardeners. The amount of work involved depends largely on the composition of the soil, and the general shape of the patch of land.In every case that my dad and I have...
    My dad and I between us have done several of these, as have neighbouring gardeners. The amount of work involved depends largely on the composition of the soil, and the general shape of the patch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. fred1935

Filter Pump and UV advice needed.

Thanks Sydney. I have cleaned it before but not replaced the UV lamp untill now. Well the price of them puts me off, anything up to £15 a time but I did go to a local garden centre, would you...
    Thanks Sydney. I have cleaned it before but not replaced the UV lamp untill now. Well the price of them puts me off, anything up to £15 a time but I did go to a local garden centre, would you believe, £7.99. so I got two. I must have a closer look at the seal on the quartze sleeve, when...
    Thanks Sydney. I have cleaned it before but not replaced the UV lamp untill now. Well the price of them puts me off, anything up to £15 a time but I did go to a local garden centre, would you believe, £7.99. so I got two. I must have a...
    Thanks Sydney. I have cleaned it before but not replaced the UV lamp untill now. Well the price of them puts me off, anything up to £15 a time but I did go to a local garden centre, would you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Maurice

Water a bad Colour.

I have had ponds for years and have never had this problem at this time of the year, will get the water tested (if i can ) will let you know if we get a result.Maurice
    I have had ponds for years and have never had this problem at this time of the year, will get the water tested (if i can ) will let you know if we get a result.Maurice
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ~Jen~

Question about ponds

Thanks, everyone, for all the help and advice. I won't rush into anything, and if I do decide on the pond option I will wait till the weather warms up.Walnut - I will definitely need to make...
    Thanks, everyone, for all the help and advice. I won't rush into anything, and if I do decide on the pond option I will wait till the weather warms up.Walnut - I will definitely need to make sure the young cat in my av can't help herself to a free fish supper!!
    Thanks, everyone, for all the help and advice. I won't rush into anything, and if I do decide on the pond option I will wait till the weather warms up.Walnut - I will definitely need to make sure the young cat in my av can't help herself to a...
    Thanks, everyone, for all the help and advice. I won't rush into anything, and if I do decide on the pond option I will wait till the weather warms up.Walnut - I will definitely need to make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Clematis

Natural pond

:lollol::lollol:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice