300mm of topsoil –> over a metre of compacted clay!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by John Bradley, Sep 15, 2024 at 10:34 PM.

Tags:
  1. John Bradley

John Bradley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3

Hi
    Thank you for the response, your right, its a new build issue everywhere these days, they just dont clear the ground and drop topsoil on top of whatever is there!!

I think the raised border may be an option with railway sleepers.... that way I could just put in some smaller drainage channels around the border and lawn with some organic stuff? It is going to be hard work whichever route I take but I do love my garden so I WILL persevere with it
    I work for an Agricultural dealer so getting hold of manure shouldnt be an issue

Thank you again for your

• Like Like x 2
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,482
      Sometimes, all you can do is manage these problems as well as is feasible. If you aren't actively using the grass from around now until spring, it won't matter if it's soggy. That's pretty normal where I am.
      It's easier in a larger plot than a small one too, epsecially if you have a route across it that you use regularly - ie to an outbuilding, or for hanging washing out etc. For that, it can be easier to lay a path across it.
      Plenty of rotted manure is great for the raised beds if you go for that, but once you fill them [and you'll need more than just that] allow the time to settle before planting anything. If you were able to get them done before winter, that's ideal. You'll then need to top them up, and raised beds will always tend to need that every so often, so it's also important to plant anything high enough, ie level with the top of the bed, so that you don't end up burying them when adding anything. If you don't, you end up with the plants too low, and a large gap at the top. You'll get a certain amount of settling, but if you overfill a bit to start with, and use a good mix that isn't too lightweight, that helps enormously :smile:

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,759
      I've nothing to add about the drainage, but I will make a few points about raised beds (with apologies if I'm stating the blinkin' obvious).

1. Don't have them backing right up against fences (will rot the wood) or walls of buildings (will breach the damp course).
      2. Leave a gap that's at least big enough to get a broom in sideways because fallen leaves and rubbish will inevitably collect in even the smallest of gaps behind a raised bed. Likewise make sure you can get in to weed behind the beds because seeds will blow in and/or be deposited by birds perching on the fences.
      3. Make sure your raised beds are wide enough for whatever you want to plant. I've seen many times people posting on forums "what can I plant in this raised bed?" and its long, maybe deep, but so narrow you could only fit in a single row of small-ish plants. Same with ground-level borders, but it's easier to widen those after the event by digging up some lawn. 1m wide would be the absolute minimum for me, but I like nice full layered planting and you may prefer a different look.
      4. Taking into account 1, 2 and 3, a design with the raised beds inside the garden rather than around the edges, with paths etc around the outside, might work better (also more open, not so shaded by the fences/walls).