1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

5 tips for begginers

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by FlourishAnn, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,605
    @Mike Allen I have visited many gardens including Kew (on Wednesday ) and been to Shineyland which is a mini Kew and I can tell you that I sniff my way through them all.. Design, layout, whatever means something to me because I've been told so, but I tend to lean toward the rewards of a pleasant scent. My garden beds are maybe 400 sf TOTAL and in addition I have many pots and my weeny hobby greenhousess with more pots.

I study the catalogs in the winter for months before ordering seeds and I still try to germinate things early. Silly me, but always a fun challenge. I live in a 5a zone so a lot of plants considered perennials elsewhere would never survive one of our winters so i start with a clean pallet pretty much every year. Not much in the line of established suburban garden to enjoy endlessly. But I don't care. I get the wonderful fresh scents of flowers, basil, (we pronounce it Bay zil) and whatsever else survives.

I don't compare my gardening to others nor am jealous of their gardens and skills. I like my ramshackle efforts and nobody can tell me that the wonderful snootfull of white Nicotiana I enjoyed moments ago is any inferior to other gardens.

If your garden makes you smile, you're in paradise.

To each their own. You've got a lot more than a person who only has a balcony window box.
    Been there, done it, and proud of my mini accomplishments with my small back yard. :)

Sniffing through a garden is 10 times better than the eye candy. You take it to bed with you. Memory of a scent to me is a powerful experience.

I insist that sniffing is superor. Except for the bug I inhaled the other day. . Guess we were competing for the nectar and he lost :)

o me but the

• Like Like x 4
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I totally agree on this mate...it is every one to their own because if all gardens was identical it would be a boring experience :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1