A back street garden

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Chris20, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,711
    And perhaps line the back with heavy plastic.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,132
      My next door neighbour built raised beds against my fence.
      I asked him if he had buried the bottom of my fencing.
      Oh no he replied I built a wall along the back of the bed one inch from the fence .
      Its obvious what happens the soil falls down the back during the filling and cultivating stage.

If you're not going to leave a 6 inch gap, which can be cleared out from time to time, it's a waste of effort.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
        Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +123,183
        Cobaea is an excellent idea to let grow up the wall. It doesn't need any support as it will climb anything and uses hair thin feelers to do it. They can't damage the wall and are easily trained if necessary. They're only an annual so do not penetrate any of the gaps in the wall. You would need to start them off fairly early in the Spring and look after them until the frosts have finished. Once they get established the kids will be amazed at how quickly they grow. They start to flower in August and continue until the frosts.

In July they had started climbing up the free standing support to the left of the picture and just latching on to the catenary cable from the house to the greenhouse.
        P1520391.JPG

Started flowering in August (common name is the Cup and Saucer plant)
        P1520653.JPG

P1520865.JPG

By early September had covered the cable
        P1520962.JPG

Lots of flowers (they open, flower and drop in a week and leave the seed pods that look a bit like propellers)
        P1520963.JPG

P1530183.JPG

By the first week in September it had grown a bit further :heehee:
        P1530168.JPG

At the end of the season it pulls off brickwork or roof with a gentle tug leaving no damage.

P.S. that was three plants. They will need watering.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Chris20

Chris20 Gardener

Retired / Cat slave
          Ratings:
          +49
          I saw one on the news once, and I've heard about one in Manchester, which may be one and the same, but haven't come across any others, not that I've searched. It would certainly be good to see more of them, but I doubt there could be much in the local area. Our street only has houses on one side of the back street, and is quite a short stretch compared to most. Also, there are no 'idiots' with access, not counting Victor. But I don't believe Victor would be malicious, just grumpy.

I think Victor is beyond salvation. At risk of repeating some previous comments, he is known for complaining, and by that I mean officially to the council. I've heard other comments, but don't know their source or validity.
          One of his known gripes is the fact that we have the street gates in the first place. 'It reeks of deprivation', or words to that effect, have been attributed to him. I've heard that he has claimed the gates have reduced the value of his property significantly. They are, after all, normally installed to help reduced crime. To aggravate the situation, the last time he collected his bin, and closed the gate, he didn't lock it, as I discovered when checking later (he chooses to put his bin out there for emptying, rather than at the front of his house).

I check the local crime statistics every month on Streetcheck, and while some of the neighbouring streets have regular, or intermittent, crimes recorded, it's very rare that I see anything in the immediate area. Far from degrading the area, we all consider the gates a big positive. The low crime rate is probably the reason its taken so long to get the gates. I've been here 15 years, and even back then some of the neighbours were writing to the council asking.

I don't think Victor's accomplice (the one who claims ownership of the wall) is quite as bad. When Victor last came through the gate, along with his neighbour, one of my neighbours went to talk to them. While Victor maintained his negative, loud, attitude, the whole time, his neighbour did seem to quieten down as the situation was explained to him. Victor however seemed determined to get him riled up again. It didn't help that Victor's neighbour was also suspected of having his mood negatively effected by alcohol.

This is something we've already dealt with on the wall of the adjacent business we're using. Just about visible on the first image of the OP if you look closely, I added a couple of small raised beds around the telegraph pole, and large silver drainpipe. The owner asked that they be lined with a plastic sheet. I've improved on that, as a neighbour had some plastic trim left over from some recent roof work. It's just the right height to fit inconspicuously at the back of the bed, and it has a lip of about an inch, which allows the air (and slugs & spiders) to circulate at the back.

I still doubt anything will happen now as far as the bed and the end is concerned. If I did have a change of mind, there's enough stones that I could build a fully enclosed bed. I'd be reluctant to move it much further forward though as I wouldn't want to restrict access to the bin men. Sometimes one will come through dragging 2 wheelie bins side by side.
          Then of course there's grumpy Victor. 'What if I want to bring my car down to unload it?'
          I don't think there's ever been a vehicle down there, except for any hand held machines used by the utility companies to dig up & resurface. I think it would be extremely difficult to get a vehicle down there anyway. Vehicles sometimes park in front of the gates, or close enough to the side that manoeuvring would be difficult.
          Just another reason for me to let it rest. I'm still half expecting him to come and complain next year, if/when all the wild flowers start to grow. (think of all the bees in the area! :roflol:) If the flowers are a success, and go unopposed, I'm considering moving some mint that I've had growing in a pot for years, and replanting it around there. If its roots were to find their way under his wall, and the mint took over his garden, I'd be denying all knowledge.

Anyway, after a lazy day today, I'll hopefully get back out tomorrow in the sunshine and sow the next batch of wildflower seeds. There's more space for more flowers, now the raised bed has gone.

While looking though the pile of seed packets today, I noticed one of the suppliers had sent a few small sample packets. To add to my list of plants to check for suitable locations, and growing instructions, I've now got some:
          Delphinium 'imperial mixed'
          Salvia hispanica
          Aster 'Montezuma'
          Platycodon grandiflorus
          and some Antirrhinum

I'm familiar with most of the names, but that's about as far as it goes. Snapdragons were on my original list, but I decided I already had enough plants. I'll get to try some after all now.

And while I was doing a little online shopping today, I decided to buy the small grow-light I'd been considering. Only 13.2 inches long according to the listing, but it gets some good reviews, and may come in useful if any seedlings object to the relatively dim, northern, spring light that they'll be trying to grow in.

• Like Like x 1
          • Chris20

Chris20 Gardener

Retired / Cat slave
            Ratings:
            +49
            Oops.

I just noticed
            Oh well, I'll just have to hope Victor's membership has slipped, and he doesn't have the latest newsletter.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +123,183
              Don't worry, he has never been a member as he was moaning about us in his application for membership - and said that he should be president! :whistle: :th scifD36:

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Chris20

Chris20 Gardener

Retired / Cat slave
                Ratings:
                +49
                Time for a break, since Google brought me here again. All because I bought some heather while I was shopping today. On getting home, I've found it to be the common Calluna type, though I don't think the label gives any clues as to the variety.
                I've got some Erica x darleyensis that has been growing happily in a planter for a few years, and I'm sure it was just regular multi purpose compost I used, followed by years of neglect. I did buy some ericaceous compost once, but it was a long time ago. I'm probably going to have to make do with what I've got anyway, as the neighbours tell me they've struggled to find any compost locally this last week. Presumably no one does any garden work once the kids go back to school in this part of the country.:scratch:

I'm starting to think about spring bulbs now too, since the neighbour came home with a few. I was hatching great plans to fill a couple of planters with snowdrop bulbs, but then I read conflicting articles on whether or not they grow well in containers. My current 'understanding' is that they're okay in containers, providing the compost is fresh & nutrient rich, and the container reasonably protected from frost, but the compost needs renewing every year, so no good for naturalisation.
                I may just try them for a year or two, and if I'm not getting good results, I'll plant all the bulbs in the rough patch at the end of the street.

For the neighbour's bulbs, I've increased the height of one of the small beds I built.

[​IMG]

She has since removed the plants, added a bag of daffs & some snowdrops, filled with compost, and replanted flowers. If it were me doing it, I'd still be at the procrastination stage (1st phase).

I've been trying to take a photo of the street in the evening, but neither of my cameras have managed anything good yet. A neighbour has been more successful. We almost went public when it was posted on the local Facebook community page, but it was removed shortly after. Sadly, there are too many 'village idiots' who would probably try to spoil it, so it looks like we're going to try and remain discreet for now.

[​IMG]

It sounds like there are a few people out there now on bat-watch, so I may go & join them for a while.

• Like Like x 3
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +54,136
                  Galanthus Nivalis (the common Snowdrop) are supposed to be happy growing in woodland or on river banks - liking a moist soil. Mine are quite happy growing in starved, sandy loam amongst pine trees. I've not grown them in pots but changing the compost every year seems to be over the top to me.

I like the evening shot, looks a bit like Christmas. :) Ooooo did I really say that horrible word! :doh:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +123,183
                    @gks could probably advise you on this. He's in your county and that is his business. :blue thumb:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                    Ratings:
                    +22,835
                    Like Sheal I grow G nivalis under conifers at one end and oaks the other, poorish soil and dryish shade. I think the important thing is that they don't get too dry or too hot when dormant.
                    I have some in small pots and they are more temperamental. Never tried them in large containers.
                    Tulip, daffodil, crocus, hyacinth all seem to do well in containers.

• Like Like x 1
                    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                      Ratings:
                      +4,969
                      That will depend on where your neighbours had been buying compost from. The likes of supermarkets and discount store will have already emptied the shelves of garden goodies to be replaced by Christmas goodies. They only tend to stock garden goodies from the Easter Bank holiday, maybe a week or two sooner depending on when Easter falls up to the August bank holiday. A garden centre will still have compost supplies in stock though, maybe not as much as in the spring months.

• Like Like x 1