A Dog's Diet

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Victoria, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    going by what my mutt would scoff, given a chance, the only thing she turns her nose up at is DOG FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! So anything from your kitchen would be most welcomed!!! (Even a nice cold beer!!!) ;)

2. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Your doing a great job [​IMG] Iam sure the dogs rely on your wonderful generosity. Its so bad that these people just dump the dogs..makes me mad :mad: as I am sure it does alot of animal lovers. You keep up the good work [​IMG]

Poppy

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,789
    Thanks all ... MG and Splodge will get everything.

Again, thanks for all input! Now I've got to go call my pernickity Magic Sam in to go to bed.

Boa noite, meus amigos!

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    when i have gone to different places such as corfu all the stray dogs normally take up residence near cafes and restaurants and each have their place they get fed well, even when i went to goa it was the same and the dogs all look well maybe a bit grubby, are you near restaurants or far from them, as and when you leave they should just move on and yes strays dogs do eat all leftovers, I am shocked when i go abroad and see all these dogs that are abandoned, we dont see it over here as much its normally cats we see a lot of abandoned.

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,789
    Good morning, Rosa. In the towns the dogs "hang out" near restaurants and get fed on a regular basis, but I'm sort in the middle of nowhere - see An Algarve Garden on the Members Gallery.

We almost went to Goa for our 25th but went to the Azores instead, which was fantastic!

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,789
    Fed Magic Dog and Splodge on the way shopping today - buttered potatoes, cabbage and some bacon rinds mostly, plus lots of fresh water. They kept trying to jump in the car and I unfortunately trod on Splodge's foot in the melee :( but he forgave me [​IMG] .

Went by the Water Board as we hadn't received a bill in ages. Seems like in their wisdom they decided to change our address after four years (before that we weren't on mains) and we had four months to pay ... the grand sum of 28 Euros (�£19.60) which includes rubbish collection, etc.

Went by a nursery and got a Star Ruby grapefruit tree for 10 Euros (�£7). God only knows where I'll put that; probably uproot the Callistemon vimilis and put it there so it's next to the lime tree. I think I've found a spot for the C vim. But that's work for later when the sun goes down!

Coming back couldn't see Magic Dog and Splodge so they must have been having a cool snooze under the orange trees, poor little toe rags :(

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi lady of leisure, so i guess iff magic dog and splodge where to go into town they will be chased off by the resident dogs, iff this is the case then i see there will be a problem, They obviously see you as their owner with feeding them.
    And i am assuming you have no neighbours near-by or a friend that could help you out while you are over here.
    I know in goa they had people over there caring for the strays as i put money into it as it helped these people look after these dogs, forgot the name of this organisation, have they not got something like that in portugal.

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,789
    Hi, Rosa, there are about six animal charities in Algarve that take stray / abandoned cats and dogs (and two of them donkeys) in and they are overloaded, some housing 200 dogs / 100 cats at a time! :( They can't cope. We have friends who also feed them once or twice a week, but they went back to England on Monday for about six weeks. I don't know that the Portuguese nearby bother. :(

Did you read my message to you about your dog?

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Its getting the same here as the cat and dog shelters are full, i dont think they can cope over here either, but you dont get stray dogs on the streets as much here.
    My friend has a massive house with grounds and she has 10 cats, 1 greyhound, 1 lurcher and 2 horses all rescued, I stay there occasionally to help out at feed time its fun and games, iff i was in that position with all that room would do the same myself.
    I did get your message about my dog answered to it thanks

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,789
    If I could, I would, Rosa, but I can't in my small property. My ideal was always to come here and set up a home for homeless cats but that's not to be, so I help out as I can, by feeding, giving items to the charity shops to sell, etc.

It's a very sad situation :(

Glad at least the problem is ruled out about mouth ulcers or the like with your baby. [​IMG]

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I dont know what to suggest now and would hate to be in your situation it is heart-breaking.
    What ever you decide to do it will be the right decision.
    Got the food and as i suspected she hasnt touched it, give it a smell and walked away, will leave it out as now i havnt the worry of it going off like tinned food.