1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A 'false' winter

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Sheal, Apr 5, 2014.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    @Sheal - my mother has chronic rheumatoid arthritis so I have some understanding of your situation.

So you need to grow houseplants from seed then!!!
    Which leads me to a serious question - is a conservatory on the list for the new home? I miss my conservatory so much. A really good place to potter over the long winter months and near ideal for some of the South African winter growing bulbs. You could also look at the evergreen members of the Iris family from Australia and SA (which we have touched on here).

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I'm so sorry to hear you are thinking of moving due to this debilitating condition. I too have dreadful arthritis in my hands/various other places! and garden in a lot of pain but refuse atm to give in. If only I could get replacement fingers like my hips I'd be sailing! Good luck with your house hunt, btw your swap of the Iris for my variegated Weigela are doing very well, hope they flower this year. When you move if you need bits and pieces for your new garden just ask:).

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        You've clearly given it considerable thought @Sheal. I have arthritis in my hands / wrists, and working for any length of time with a trowel is a challenge, and thus I am already thinking about the long term future. It will be interesting, for me, to hear how your new garden takes shape.

Yeah, they don't "do a lot" do they?! - well, not unless you hang around for 100 years :) but I can imagine having a collection of them (outside) could bring a sense of calm and satisfaction - I doubt I could keep them alive though!

Good thought on growing from seed - I enjoy growing from seed too. I have hundreds of things that I am growing from seed this year - mostly in pretty small zip-lock bags with a couple of teaspoons of vermiculite in the bag. This suits me (incredibly busy at work this year) as I can prick them out at any time that suits me - although Baggy method has no lea-way on pricking out, must happen within a day or so as there is no space / light / etc. for them to grow on a bit, but I always have a 1" module filled with compost ready, and I only have 5 or 10 seeds of most things in a bag, so at most only get a few of each to prick out, thus the module tray fills up "Bit by bit". So they go into the modules - often at 2am or 3am at the moment to accommodate all the other stuff I have going on!! - in dribs and drabs, but thereafter they are under lights in my home office, so just need checking and watering ... until they get big enough to pot-on into 9cm and then they go into conservatory / heated greenhouse to be grown on. Many of them will be outdoors by the end of May (hopefully!!)

So I can see something like that working as a low-input hobby, yet needing checking regularly, and perhaps more importantly providing the enjoyment being able to see some progress over a relatively short time period!

I probably spent 50-quid getting 20-30 packets of, unusual, seeds from Australia ... so not a particularly expensive hobby either.

• Like Like x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Ditto. Although as I recall, you are horrified at some of the things that I grow:roflol:

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,612
            Thank you everyone for your kind words. :grphg: I wasn't looking for sympathy, we all have problems that are sent to try us and I for one am not giving up with mine, besides, my time spent outside is valuable from a mental point of view. :) At the moment my arthritis is in the early stages and I'm going through trial and error with medication that will hopefully put and keep it in remission via self injection. My upper body is fine, the worst affected area is my lower spine and pelvis which without the medication will fuse together. Anyway enough of that, I'm thinking positive and looking forward to working on a new garden.....eventually! :)

I've not had a conservatory at any of my homes and haven't really felt the need for one but if my new home comes with one attached that will be a bonus. :) I like Irises but prefer the dwarf varieties.

I'm not horrified at the things you grow Longk, every one of us has their own preferences with plants and I appreciate your liking for something a little diverse. You could say that my cottage garden plants are very boring but I like the soft relaxed feel they give to a garden.

Silu.....I'm glad the iris is doing well, hopefully it will bloom for you this year. The Weigela is now in a large pot. I decided not to plant it out as it's going with me......wherever that turns out to be. :)

A reminder for you and indulgence for Longk!
            Dwarf Iris (2).jpg

Kristen.......Quote: 'You've clearly given it considerable thought'

No, I/we haven't actually! :heehee: Each time husband Pete and I have moved house the decision has usually been sparked by a passing comment and then we just go with the flow. Nearly all our major decisions have been made that way and luckily none have back-fired. Forty years on now, we decided to get married after five weeks dating!

Yes, I love growing from seed and cuttings. The 70ft long hedge I grew from Hebe cuttings for my neighbour is now in it's third year and approximately 3 to 4ft high, I won't see it's development but I'm not one to look back. I'm looking forward to growing new plants and love the trial and error on the way. :)

Right, now I've bored you all with a potted version of my life I'll get back to the forum and annoy some other members. Thank you all again for being supportive, you are such a good bunch of people or should I say friends. :love30:

PS. The blasted quote button has got a mind of it's own, will I or won't I work! :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
            • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
              Ratings:
              +31,192
              Sheal,
              you are such a brave and realistic lass and I hope you find the home you need in the near future.
              Isn't it lovely to know that there are genuine friends here on GC,
              good luck,
              Jenny

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,612
                Thanks Jenny, :)

I don't consider myself to be brave, realistic yes. I only brought up my arthritis here as I felt the need to explain my house move, and for GC members to understand why I'm downsizing. :) Life throws these things at us and we can either sit around and mope about it or get on with things, I prefer the latter and it's amazing how we learn to adapt when obstacles are put in our way. I have a low boredom threshold so need to be doing something all the time and when I'm forced out of the garden there are plenty of things I can amuse myself with.

Yes, it is good to know that the GC 'family' are friends as well and ready to lend an ear. :grphg:

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  But if I did, that would only leave me with one ear!!:dunno::hate-shocked::snork::wub2:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,612
                    Are you sure you'll be left with one Armandii? You've been getting an ear bashing on another thread this last couple of days! :biggrin:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    Well, I believe the old saying "Where there's no sense.......................!!! might apply with me, Sheal:dunno::snork:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,612
                      I don't believe that at all! It's more where there's no sense there's no hearing! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Sorry, what did you say:scratch:........SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!!!:old::hate-shocked:

• Funny Funny x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,612
                          There's none so deaf............:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                            +12,667
                            Fancy that - going off-topic in your own thread. Shocking!!! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              I'm thinking some raised beds Sheal,so you can still keep gardening without all the extra stress on your joints:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
                              • Agree Agree x 1