1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A few pictures of last year's Brugmansia's

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Wayne, Feb 17, 2012.

1. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Just found another .
    Variagated foliage and flowers well .Does not seem toroot with long stemmed cuttings very well .

[​IMG]

I belief a guy in Shrewsbury has a national collection of Brugs ,has anyone ever beeh ?

Dave

• Like Like x 2
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Dave - that double apricot is a real beauty. Do doubles flower for a shorter period than singles? ie do you pay a price for it being double?

Kristen - I hadn't thought about it - but I do see the irony :D. Although its lovely, the problem with sanguinea is that it does nearly all of its flowering over winter and there is very little to see when its outside.

• davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      Hi Peter . I think you the doubles have less flower flushs ,but that could be me . I have in the past had so many different plants on the go in the summer I never get to feed enough . It got a bit out of hand over the last few years ,but this year I have reduced my plant numbers .
      However I cannot give up the Brugs ,so am looking at ways to reduce the over wintering plant sizes, but still be able to get good flowering plants each year . I think this larger stem cutting may be the answer then like Wayne plant out into the borders .
      I also gave up the B.sanguineadue to it only flwering in my greenhouse during winter ..

Dave

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        The pictures of B.sanguinea have my brain in overdrive now.
        When I move I will have a large cellar which I intended to set up some propagators in. I'm now wondering about whether I could grow B.sanguinea down there with appropriate lighting? The previous owner fitted a radiator down there, reckons that it's a fairly stable 10 to 15°c down there in the winter (he uses it for his wood carving hobby).
        What sort of time period would I need to light it for? Is it realistic? Just wondering really. The idea has been tossing around in my head anyway with regard to South African winter flowering bulbs........

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Stapeley Water Gardens in Cheshire used to have some huge Brug specimens in their Tropical House, they were well over 12ft tall and grown as standards so you could walk under the dozens of flowers - amazing...:sunny: :dbgrtmb: sadly the place has now closed :(

Couldn't find any photos of them, but this is one of the main view down along the koi pool, the brugs were on the left somewhere...

Attached Files:

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        LongK - I am pretty sure you could get a sanguinea to flower in your basement. Because of their size, I decided a year ago to overwinter a number of plants in my hall. I put white plastic over the door and windows to reflect light back. Then I set up two 4 feet fluorescent tubes, at a height of 6 feet, on a 14 hour time clock. The temperature was between 8C and 13C over winter

The object was just to keep plants alive rather than for them to actively grow - though they did grow. As the temperature was low, the light level was also low. Well below the level in my light box, which replicates mid summer. But the low light level and low temperature was enough to keep the sanguinea flowering over the winter. However I suspect that it wouldn't be happy there all year round. It probably needs to be outside over the summer, as mine was, and to start flowering outside in the autumn.

• Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
        Ratings:
        +326
        I'd agree on the comments about Sang's and thier flowering habits...I'd suggest for the future a plant called Mobisu. What I've been told about it is that is is a stocky little plant that flowers early and has a slight scent to it. Being crossed with a Sang it has the best of both world's. I have a small plant that I hope to see grow well this year. I'll post it as it gets bigger and better.

Sorry about the thumbnails..I'm trying to get to grips with the attachments from a URL?? I'll get there.

Davy..really like your pictures..I'm trying to second guess what they are..
        Sunset( varigated one), the pale orange wide looking one looks like Morgensonne?? Very nice looking plants !

Wayne

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Thanks Peter. I'm popping back tomorrow to check a couple of measurements, which will include the cellar hatch. If I think that it's large enough I may give it a punt..............

• Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
          Ratings:
          +326
          [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I Think I've sussed this picture uploading malaraky..
          In order
          Goldflame, Snowbank,Bergkongin,Kniightii, Sunset,Langenbuscher Garten,Salmon Perfection, Yellow Aurea,Super Rose, Arborea T

All pictures of the Brugmansia's I grew last year. Hope you like them.
          Enjoy! Wayne

• Like Like x 5
          • Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
            Ratings:
            +326
            A Few more

Charles Grimaldi, Rozenquartz, Grand Marnier..all prolif bloomers with a nice scent.....that's it now....All Brug-ed out![​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
            • Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
              Ratings:
              +326
              [​IMG]Charles Grimaldi[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
              • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,015
                Brilliant Wayne - thanks for putting them up in large pictures. They are stunning. What's your favorite and why?

Can I put the same question to you as I put to Dave - the doubles look fantastic - but is there a price to pay in shorter flowering period or less blooms etc?

And how do you overwinter them ? - as full sized plants or just as cuttings ? And do you have more than one of each ? Always the pessimist I would want to have a back up in case a named plant died - but that would double the number of plants.

• Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
                Ratings:
                +326
                What's my favourite??? wow!! erm!! Probaly the Double Orange LBG because of it's wow factor and sharp lemon scent..but then again I like the long lasting waxy singles of the little white Arborea and the Yellow Aurea.

They are all pretty special, the scent, the colours. They are like Roses on steriods:heehee: in some ways.

As for doubles flowering for a shorter time, I'd say it is'nt that noticable. Flowers like LBG and Knightii, Super Rose really go for it. But being fluffy with more bloom, doubles noticably look more ragged than the singles after a few days of giving thier best. Just a matter of trial and error really, and personal choice.

I've a a few this year that I'd like to see flower from a large mature plant before I compost them. I've got at least 10 as larges plants in the greenhouse, and the rest are cuttings from the flowering stems. I am naturally scared that some will croak it, but then again I've got a nice circle of fellow Brugmansia obsessives that could help me out:love30:.

Glad you liked the pictures, it took this thicko ages to do:)

Wayne

• Like Like x 3
                • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,015
                  Thanks Wayne.

Thats a very good answer to the question of back-ups. Its silly to keep lots of duplicates if you have friends who also have them.