A place to rant mark ii

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by daitheplant, Dec 27, 2007.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,643
    Good word walnut, PERSECUTED,I thought that was illegal or something.
    Guilty until proved innocent. [​IMG]

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Another interesting item was people getting a "caution" for carrying offensive weapons (knives, etc.) When I was a copper (many years ago) their feet wouldn't have touched!! Not only did you show an arrest but you prevented a serious crime. So now they let off potential murderers and prosecute motorists for going over the speed limit. Strange times we live in.!!

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Precisely Cajary and i imagine the same for vandalism or shoplifting. These days I dont feel the actual police even enjoy the job and frankly it shows

One of my clients is a store detective and he informs me that its always the usual faces shoplifting, if not simply cautioned or more often released without charge they are fined which of cause they cant pay as they are almost always unnemployed and funding drug adiction.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    There's not enough room in jails now for serious criminals so I don't know what they would do with all the people they would catch if they did stop and search, or all the the shoplifters and petty criminals they caught,we should be looking at why society is in the mess it is, we could start with parents and politicians,all these ferals that knock about the streets in gangs commiting crimes and murder whos fault,Parents for not knowing what their kids are up to or not caring, Politicians for having stupid or non effective laws and police enforcing procedures, it always amazes me how they can produce hundreds of police to control crowds at football matches but haven't enough to patrol the streets to ensure the safety of the public,I know the football clubs pay for the services and our "underpaid" police are willng to jump in for the extra money just part of our sad greedy society.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I have been interested by the Suppernanny programs - not so much the program but the psychology behind it. Supernanny says that the cause of badly behaved childred in invariably the result of parents giving mixed messages - you mustn't do that but if you do its all right.

Our government says you mustn't steal, but if you do its all right we won't punish you and you can keep the proceeds.

It would appear that we are actively encouraging crime. If Suppernanny can see it why can't the government.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    What deterrants are there to deal with these "feral yobs"? All disciplinery measures have been taken away from parents, teachers and the police. If you catch youths vandalising your property, who gets the criminal record? Certainly not the yobs. The Germans have come up with a brilliant deterent. They have started sending their offenders to Siberia. It costs a lot less than putting them inside. They are put in accomodation with modern conveniances at all, no running water, no toilet ( they have to dig a latrine outside ) and no central heating. I think it is a brilliant solution.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,643
    One thing the local yob really hates,.....public humiliation.
    A few days in the stocks having rotten veg, and manure thrown at them, (after of course a good thrashing with the birch), would not have them coming back for more.
    As for the modern version, ie. "naming and shaming", thats regarded as a badge of honour.

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I remember walking through a carpark in Cwmbran, with a friend of mine who is a local Magistrate. There were kids throwing large stones to each other over the cars. This friend said "stop that or you will be up in the Magistrates Court in front of me". The kids didn't even stop, one just said "no we won't, we are too young".

The one word that gets me most is "rights".

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I actually live in Cwmbran, Peter, and I have to say things have changed somewhat, certainly in the town centre. And one of my clients is also a local magistrate. [​IMG]

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I mentioned it David as I knew you were in Torfaen, but I didn't know you lived in Cwmbran itself. I used to live in Usk, then moved up to Yorkshire - twice as cold and half the rain :D

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    So, you`re into winter sports rather than water sports? :D

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Having said "half the rain" - I have just watched the news where they warned of severe flooding in Yorkshire.

13. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You people up north [​IMG] haven`t had it too good from what I`ve seen on the news.

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    A piece of Welsh history was made today with the closure of Tower colliery, the last deep pit in Wales. In 1993 the Tory government and the National Coal Board said that the mine was no longer viable and would close. But not without a fight from 239 mineworkers. They each sank �£8000.00 into buying the pit and proving the NCB and Tory government wrong. For 13 years they turned out millions of tonnes of fine anthracite coal, making millions of pounds for their shareholders, the colliers themselves. It closed today, not because some beaurocrat told them it had too. But because, quite simply, it ran out of coal. Today, the miners, ancillary staff and their families marched from the pit, with heads held high. Today I am proud to call myself Welsh.

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,643
    Thing was though David, once they owned the pit, did they ever go on strike?
    Thats what did it for the coal mines in the UK, their reputation for striking at the drop of a hat.