A place to rant mark ii

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by daitheplant, Dec 27, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    They're all robin bastuds.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    I'm coming into here although walnut and John are speaking in Garden Lighting about non-garden lighting related subjects.

I refer to walnut's comment about the driving tests in the UK. I held two US licences, one South Carolina and one Alabama ... the United States is NOT united and you must have a licence for the state you live in. I had held these for ten years and when I moved to England I promptly failed the test because I was "too relaxed" and didn't bob around and turn my head to look in the rear view mirror. In America you must NOT turn your head but move your eyes. Also, when I backed up I did it by using the side mirrors ... wrong, should have been the rear-view mirror ... pretty useless in a Mini van with no windows in the back. The test was a farce then and probably still is now.

I still laugh at it ... I was used to 6 litre engines and vehicles 20-22 foot long, could do 3-point turns in them and parallel park with little room either end .. but supposedly couldn't drive in a 1 litre vehicle half the size.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    When I took my test you had to look over your shoulder when reversing. They don`t even have to do hand signals any more, my examiner made me do hand signals while doing a hill start. Luckily I remembered to roll the window down. :D :mad:

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I failed my first test after asking the examiner to speak up..he called me a long haired hippy took me back to the centre and failed me!! So uncool man.. [​IMG]

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    My first test, I had the very first one on Monday morning. The first thing the examiner said to me was, " I`ve not had a very good weekend, I was working under the car yesterday and the jack slipped ". Needless to say, I failed. [​IMG]

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Lol, it was mirrors that did for me also.

Having prior to the test been driving farm vehicles and also vans and 4x4s for several years prior to the test using a rear viewe mirror was alien to me.

The other thing they didnt like was the fact I used the gear box to break something that was also second nature from off road driving.

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    Hi guys! It was reversing around a corner that failed me as I did it by side mirrors ... but ...

I was "lazy" as well as ... to this day ... I still drive with my hand on the gearshift often (I shift a lot on the bendy roads we have) ... and I'm always barefoot (which is illegal in the States).

Let's hear more good stories. [​IMG]

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,643
    Nobody drives like your supposed to in the test, if we did there would be traffic jams for miles.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    We used to go through the gearbox to brake, these days drivers live on their brakes not driven since I was a shaver hate being a passenger.

4 wheels moves the body.
    2 wheels moves the soul.

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Walnut the brake stopping and not gear downing so to speak was a huge problem for me when I was learning both my boys to drive thankfully I got use to the 'new' way to drive while I was out with the boys but once back in my own driving seat it was back to gear downing!

Oh by the way I passed my test on the third go in the morning and my brother passed on the same day in the afternoon.

Our eldest son who never wanted to learn to drive passed on his third try and still drives around like he did before he passed his test it's almost like two people drives with him one a boy racer the other a very slow old gentleman very scary indeed!

Our youngest son passed on his first try with flying colours but he so wanted to drive and had brought his first car for his 16 birthday, we taxed and insured it in my name and took it to a driving centre road lay-out almost every week. Where the young ones were driving around with no sense and at top speed Harry would go into a hanger and Bob would lay out rocks, tyres etc. for Harry to maneuver around....it's a joy to ride with him he drives around so very easy and although his car screams 'Boy Racer! it is so far off the mark, he drives so much better than both me and his dad put together!
    Helen.xxx.

11. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    my poor wee granddaughter Gemma sat her second
    test and failed yesterday,she is heartbroken,she has a little 106 all taxed and ready to go.
    instructor keeps telling her she is a good little driver ,i think her nerves get to her
    meanwhile �£500 later.she has another test booked for mid February keep your fingers crossed,her older brother first go ,that makes it worse

12. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I really do hate driving, unfortunately I have to drive every day. Anyway Helen, I used to do the geardowning but not any more, now I do the brake stopping, I don`t know why, I think it has something to do with the fact I drive an automatic now. :D

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,643
    I find that most cars rev so freely these days that changing down, especially when going downhill has little effect.
    So brakes are the only way.
    Not technically minded, but I'm sure its something to do with the gear ratios.

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    What annoys me , is when I am on the motorway, some dozy sod a half mile in front of me touches his ( or her ) brakes, and then everyone panics and jams on their brakes. It`s no wonder there are so many motorway accidents.

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,643
    Yep, know what you mean.