A wander around my garden yesterday....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sian in Belgium, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    Ok, here are some of the problem areas.... image.jpg
    This area is not very pleasant, and is the first bit you see when you come through the side door. The spindly tree is a young mountain ash that I want to keep. Directly to the left of is is a clump/stool of hazel, that will be cut down to ground level this winter, and not a moment too soon. It will take some doing, as is about 15-18 foot high - that's a full size dustbin there!
    On the left of the picture you can see two similar stools that I did two years ago...

image.jpg
    And here's one of them, with Harley graciously stepping in for scale.

image.jpg
    This is the area I am currently working on. It's the top bed, along the boundary. About 8-10 foot deep, so you would think I should be able to do something there? An ornamental purple plum tree to the left - I took off all the spindly growth from the trunk yesterday.

image.jpg
    Yet another stool of hazel (we have lots of squirrels!!) just behind the lychnis - on the other side is a very sad looking Veronica that I moved this spring. Behind and to the left of the hazel stool is a deutzia, I think. It had white flowers end May, and I cut out the flowering stems, to encourage more for next year.
    image.jpg
    It will be years before I get this area cleared. There is a 10 foot square clump of rugosa rose, that doesn't seem to do anything but prickle... It will have one last chance next year, as I will cut it down hard at the appropriate time (when is that, @wiseowl?)
    To the far left of this is a scrub apple tree, that is bushy from the ground up. We don't know whether it's a pip tree, or reverting to rootstock. It did have apples last year, but then any tree that could, did, last year...

image.jpg
    Soon nice specimen trees, but this just gives an idea of how dense everything is. Squeezed in between the shrub in front, and the conifer behind, is yet another choke berry tree! And behind everything, the 12 foot laurel hedge.
    image.jpg
    The far corner of the bed, again showing with wilderness nature (in the foreground to the left some jaunty-angled tomatoes in the veg bed)
    At least two more hazels in here. Centre front (with hazel growing through the centre) is a quince. Behind is a self-sown broom. At the back is another deutzia, yet to be given its post-flower prune. The dead stems are a bit of berberis that likes to terrorise me in this corner, and between that and the conifer is a forsythia, that has had its post flower bloom.

• Like Like x 3
    • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,805
      This is only my own personal view and opinnion,I would cut it down to the ground now ;)

What do you want it to do sing to you :whistle:its just your perception of this wonderful addition to your garden;)

Good morning @Sian in Belgium my friend,Ideally, you should cut out 1/3 of the canes every year....leaving some for early bloom and promoting new growth.You can prune a rugosa any time you want!But personally I wouldn't cut them back after August 1st because you don't want to promote new growth that won't have time to harden off before winter. Won't kill the rose...but it's better to cut it back earlier or much later after it's dormant:smile:

If you ever decide to dig it up and I really hope that you don't, just be aware that rugosa'
      s can regenerate from small pieces left in the ground, so get as much out as you can, and prepare to do so again next year if there are fragments trying to put up new canes;)

The Rosa Rugosa hips you can use for ,Herbal tea,Jam and many other healthy options amazing flavour and HI vitamin C ,and they have certain advantages for Rose gardeners, namely great cold tolerance and pest resistance. The Latin name Rugosa means ‘Wrinkled’ and refers specifically to the crinkled, serrated leaves with pronounced veins. Rugosa rose leaves occur in leaflets of 5 to 7 ,They are known as rugged roses because they can be virtually maintenance free. Rugosas can handle light shade, salt air, frigid temperatures, drought and high humidity.hope this is of some help to you my friend;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
        +9,242
        ...and onto the orchard area.
        image.jpg
        First, the four plum / greengage trees that we have planted.
        From the left, near, Conducta. Tiny one in the middle, should be an Opal (but then the sour cherry "Rheinische Schattenmorella" - hereafter referred to as "Bob" - in the angle bed turned out to be an Opal plum. Maybe I swapped the two around on planting? Bob?)
        Spindly one just behind ?Bob, a greengage Crotee, and then finally, I think an Alsemberg plum?

image.jpg
        The first of the existing trees. Our "August" Apple, because it was covered with fruit when we first moved in, 1/8/12, and the fruit were being eaten by the end of the month. The tree is just over 6 foot tall, and as you can see, groaning again. Empty branches are at least 18" off the ground.

image.jpg
        Here is a close up of the bad historical scarring of the trunk, that probably then got infected with apple canker. There is a second large canker-healed scar on the other side. Also, lots of suckers coming up from the base...

image.jpg
        This is the apple tree that had bad canker earlier this year. I cut off all the infected branches and burned them, at the same time lowering the height of the tree by about 2 foot. The tree actually has good apples, mid September cropping, that store quite well. But it is very distressed this year, despite the good crop its carrying. Still the occasional flower coming...

image.jpg
        Hard to seem but here is the open running wound on the trunk of the tree. Nearly 3 years in, and no sign of healing over. You can also see the nature of the soil here. Around the trunk, the dressing of compost that the tree gets every autumn, to the right the near-pure grey sand that is the actual soil.

image.jpg
        Our big floppy cherry. We had some lovely cherries from it last year, about 3 kg, but the birds had them all this year. Going a bit stag-y now, at the top.

image.jpg
        The tree I mis-identified as a pear tree, that first summer. It's actually a late cropping eating apple, now fruiting fairly reliably after a good prune (in my defence only one of the fruit trees had any, that first year!). Yet another sick tree though. You can rock the whole tree by about 5-10 degrees, so obviously sick roots down there!

image.jpg
        The last of the existing trees (ie ones that were here when we moved in). A strange little pear tree, with a branch coming out from half way up the trunk, probably rootstock? I've left it one because
        A, the first full year, it was only the small branch that had pears
        B, there are no other pear trees in the area that I have seen, so possibly acting as a self-pollinating tree, this way!
        Last year we had about 30-40 tasty little pears from this funny little fellow (about 8 foot tall), probably being dwarfed by the humungous oak tree behind it!

• Like Like x 4
        • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
          +9,242
          Thank you for your swift reply, o wise one!

Lol!! Well, some flowers would be good! We've had about 10 flowers form the whole area, each year, so knowing how useful the hips are (and I love roses, and rose hips!) is doubly frustrating.

I will be up there a-chopping later this week!!

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,805
            Good morning @Sian in Belgium and thank you for having a great sense of humour and if you need to ask anything else ,fire away:smile:,I am on duty 24/7 and love every minute of it:heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
              +9,242
              And finally...

image.jpg
              This is our Gloster 69. Ve aar making ze appels, Ja? Ve aar known as ze machine voor making ze appels, and ve aar making ze appels... (Sorry, hubby always does a really bad German accent for this tree, and yes, the trees speak, but it does have the nickname as the machine..). A good cropper?!

image.jpg
              A rather spin.dynbraeburn, What was autocorrect doing here ?! A rather spindly Braeburn - but not bad, as only a baby

image.jpg

We want to get some more trees in here...

image.jpg
              ...or maybe somewhere on this bank?

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,886
                What a great space you have there!!! The dogs must have a ball romping around your wild areas :doggieshmooze: :doggieshmooze:

A good selection of fruit trees too.

I have rosa rugosa :) I bought 3 for my previous house to put along the rear fence (bordered a park) one of each colour: white, pink and purple. One of them suckered where I didn't want it to, so I dug it out, popped it in a pot and forgot about it (along with some hebe "bits").

That pot came here with me last year and the rugosa began growing nicely together with the hebes. Now dug into the ground (two different pieces of rugosa but no idea which colour/s).

Mine didn't seem to need any maintenance and were not trimmed at all during their short life at my old house. But the hips are the size of cherry tomatoes and make a stunning Autumnal display (I had mine planted with 3 different colours of pyracantha and a passion flower).

If you can rejuvenate them, Sian, I doubt you will be disappointed :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
                • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                  +9,242
                  :doggieshmooze:The dogs luurve the garden, and there are a number of areas that are human no-go, because of the hedges, thorns, etc, which is the best!all the wildlife helps too. Of course, it makes things challenging - I need to grow enough soft fruit to feed the dogs and local fox, in order for there to be anything left for us!

The fruit trees are good. I'm afraid we might be going to loose the 3 apple trees that were here when we moved in, due to tree-rock, and canker. But we have three new apple trees on order (canker resistant, and to be planted down-wind of the infected trees), oh and a damson tree to go somewhere at the top, to the right of the gates, and the medlar. Lots of holes to be dug this autumn.

I will do my best to keep the roses :)

• Like Like x 3
                  • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                    +9,242
                    We have been out there, cutting out some of the rugosa stems. Some of them are nearly 2" in diameter.
                    When the drizzle stops:yes: I will go and take some photos of the cleared area, and the stems. Then I'll need some advice, please, @wiseowl, whether to take it all down to the ground, leave some old stems a little longer, take down some of the younger shoots, etc...

We have also taken all the sucker growth out from around the apple tree, again some stems over 2" diameter, taken back the laurel, and removed the hazel plants. You can definitely see where we've been working the past hour!!

• Like Like x 2
                    • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                      +9,242
                      And the evidence... Just for you, @"M"!
                      image.jpg
                      Some of those rose stems were beefy!! (My dainty size 9 barge, for comparison)

image.jpg
                      The prickly fruits of our labours.

image.jpg
                      The base of the rugosa stem. Do we need to take it all out? Cut the cut stems flush to e ground (currently about 6" long)? Cut the remaining stems down by half, to prevent wind-whip?

image.jpg
                      Looks different!

image.jpg
                      Whilst we were there, the Apple had all its rootstock suckers taken out too.

• Like Like x 1