a word of warning to people posting photo's on GC

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by glenw, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "No it's just an image not in flash"

Just checked and you are right. I must have seen that done on some other site, I'll report back if I come across it again.

2. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Dave. Grrrr.
    To be honest,i'm a bit like Steve.The pics i post on photobucket are low res pics purely for posting on places like this,therefore i'm not too bothered.
    Still,i didnt realise it was that easy to hack my photobucket site..(What were you in your past life i wonder...;))

The advice given earlier by....Daiseys i think,is absoloutly p100% and paramount.You have to be certain that the image is yours,AND be able to prove it.
    The problem is,if its an image of a popular subject,there will be 100's of photos floating around,and will be very likely that someone stood in exactly the same place as you,used the same angle as you,and the weather/lighting condition could easily be exactly the same as when you took the shot.
    Difficult to prove that one shot is yours.

If you accuse someone of © theft,and your wrong.........

Joe.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :eek::( Well Dave gotcha..!! ;) Just checked my settings.! Thanks mate.! Good job I only use PB for my photos on GC then..! At least all my family & good photos are actually on my PC, disc or printed & have never been put on the net as I have never trusted it for this reason. :mad: Not that I wouldn't be angry if I found one of my photos as Glen thinks he may have...! The Internet really has destroyed our privacy almost, now it seems! Sad really..:(

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Joe, what you say is very true.

I won a competition with a photo of a tree once and hadn't mentioned where it was.

One of the judges gave his critique by saying that he knows the tree very well and must have seen hundreds of shots of it. He very kindly said that mine was the best one he'd seen :o. I have since seen pictures of that tree taken from the same spot and angle. fortunately for me the lighting was perfect when I took it.

5. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks Dave.
    As I said I'm not that good a photographer to be that bothered about photos being used although it's not a nice thought.
    I was more concerned about photobucket.
    I have been using it to edit some photos until I get my new software for my Mac.
    I had some family stuff on there.
    I have now deleted them.
    I'll have to see if I can get onto this lower resolution lark. :rolleyes:

6. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As Steve R mentioned putting on the copyright symbol I know from experience that this will not deter anyone from printing any sort of pictures, they don't even bother to get rid of it, they print it and stick it on display in their homes-with © across it!!

7. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Not all people are ruthless in copying photo's. I recently had two enquiries about use of two of my photo's (one from a Belgian Magazine and the other from a Church Website). As I am an Amateur Photographer and do not charge for use of my pictures (only ask for recognition in the publication) I gave them my permission. In the end the magazine obtained a better picture. The Church website has given pride of place to my picture and my name.