acacia mearnsil

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by moment, Jul 28, 2006.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    Somateria Mollissima, LoL, and you said you didn't know your birds!
    Btw I'm still trying to work out what could be "black with a red nose" out there? [​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    Hello, Strongy! We all have our little secrets! [​IMG] I have many books on trees, shrubs, flowers and wildflowers pertaining to here and Madeira / Canaries but nothing on wildlife. Perhaps I shall treat myself to something.

Did you know that Flamingos came here? What a sight to see, only twenty minutes away! I get excited every time I see them in a natural habitat. The storks have become commonplace ... but I love them and every week when we go shopping I say "hello storks" as we pass (they're just down from the grocery store in Silves). There are about 6-8 pairs plus the young-uns and what a sight to see them circling around a tiny town with river running through. Brilliant!

The other bird of prey we see often is a Kestrel.

3. moment

moment Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you to you all for welcoming me and for your advice! the acacia i`ve grown is only about three inches high but it is a little worrying to find it could grow to such a vast height!does anyone know if there is any way possible i caould still plant this tree out when big enough-and keep it from growing so big!!?(i have made notes on what you have a [​IMG] ll told me so far!)

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    Some acacias will make a shrub if the top is taken out but you wouldn't want to do this till it is about4/5 ft high, this would mean keeping it trimmed to stop the side branches becoming leggy. It it something you needn't worry about for some time if it is only 3ins high. [​IMG]

5. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome Moment [​IMG]