Aloa Vera

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DAG, May 19, 2006.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Dag, this is the info re Wyevale

"An application was received by the Department to kill a small number of robins that were persistently fouling a cafeteria located within a garden centre. The application was considered by one of the Department's wildlife management advisers and based on the adviser's recommendation the licensing unit granted a licence to allow up to four robins to be killed to preserve public health and safety. An investigation of this case, showing that the shooting of the birds by a pest control company was legal and proper procedures were followed, was published on the DEFRA website (www.defra.gov.uk) on 11 June."

Glad to hear they have had a change of management Liz.

[ 01. June 2006, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not surprised about the change of management, there is one near me, only been in there twice, I don't think they have any idea about labout of shop, plants looked tired, and staff looked perplexed....well, I shan't be going back!

Change of management.....seen it all before! ;)

Don't think I will tell Mrs.DAG about the robins - she is trying to give up smoking at the moment! :D

3. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Definatly won't be using that company after reading about the Robin cull :mad: Not that they had much to offer anyway.

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    poor little robins, I will remember iff i ever visit that neck of the wood not to go to that place it sounds awful
    rosa

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I got mine in LIDL - great place that! Aloe vera, that is - not robins! ;)

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,210
    Aaaahhh! I now never buy plants in Lidl here. They look great and are usually a good price but I've had no luck with them, especially roses and Bonsai. Two years ago I bought a climbing yellow rose and it turned out to be a red rose with a pale red on the back of the petal, which looked nice and then it died. This year I bought another yellow climbing rose (same brand, same name) and it is a small patio type rose with shocking dark pink flowers, albeit very nice ... but certainly NOT a yellow climbing rose. I won't even go into the Bonsai!!! Seeds okay, plants no way!

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,210
    Stupid me, forgot to say, as for the Aloe Vera's agree completely with their usefulness. Brought mine over from England and it's massive here now and blooms all the time. Great plant and highly recommend it to all.

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Went to lidl the other day saw the aloe vera nearly bought one looked a nice plant and great price was thinking about going back and buying one, I suppose you have to take your chances as i bought a climbing rose from the �£1 store it was doing great and the leaves just withered and died off, I have cut it down as it is still alive see what it does. from rosa

9. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just read about the robins - Im gobsmacked!!! Horrible horrible humans!! :(

Anyway back to the aloes..Ive had a few for years too, I just cut a tip off one leaf each night and use it when I need it, fantastic plants, you can keep them almost anywhere and they seem resistant to pests too!

10. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    mine do not like sun, I always give them a summer holiday outside, then wish I had not bothered.

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,210
    I'm surprised about this, Waco. I brought my Aloe Vera from the IoW and it has gone from strength to strength here for four years now growing to an incredible size and flowering continuously in a very, very dry rockery with a sprinkling of water twice a day in the hot season.

12. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    I am amazed how my Aloe Vera plants have grown since end of May.

I bought one with 6 mini plants around it. I took them out and potted up separately.

All of them now have several mini plants just shooting - which makes about 30 new plants. At this rate we will soon be inundated with Aloe Veras! :D

13. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,098
    Is this plant Aloe Vera?
    or another Aloe, Or something else?
    I took this pic. on holiday recently and am not sure. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,210
    I must say it looks very much like my Aloe Vera, flowers and all.

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,183
    Personally Roders, I would say no its not, the leaf markings dont look right to me, there's no white spots on the backs of the leaves.
    But who knows, bet someone does, its an aloe but I dont know which one. [​IMG]