Aloa Vera

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DAG, May 19, 2006.

1. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe my aloe vera is the wrong type, when I put some on my skin it went all red and puffy :eek:

I love the plant though [​IMG]

2. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys - sorry for bumping an old topic, but thought it was better than starting a new one: Can someone give me a few tips for removing and potting up suckers?!

Although it is not an aloe vera, my plant below obviously grows in a similar way (Pete - you're the succulent grower - do you recognise it? It's currently in flower!)

I assume the part circled in blue is the sucker, but how do I remove it? Pull it, cut it, split it? BTW - If anyone wants a sucker from it, they're more than welcome! :D

[​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,185
    It looks like Aloe aristata Dave, if you knock it out the pot and give the offset a pull it should come away, perhaps with a few roots of its own. You can then just pot it up.
    Also Dave thats quite hardy, I grow them out in the garden.
    My geography isn't good and I apolagise for not knowing where St Helens is, I guess there's more than one, but you could give it a go, once you've got a couple of mature plants, and keep one inside as insurance.

4. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks so much Pete - St H (the real one - haha, sorry Isle of Wight) is in the north-west, between Liverpool and Manchester. We don't often get very severe conditions in the winter so I'll give it a go! Thanks for the ID! [​IMG]

When I pulled the side suckers off one of them had a lot of roots, the others none at all. They're all looking happy in their pots though! 7 plants for the price of one - bargain! :D

5. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave-in....As an old boy from West Park - its good to hear from God's own country - are the fish and chips in Denton's Green still as good.

6. ricky

ricky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi do you know if aloe vera can be used on scars?

7. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Ricky just noticed you're from Sheffield. We,re coming up this weekend to see family and friends. We defected to Cornwall last year we needed the peace and quiet. Which area are you in?

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Dave we are almost neigbours I used to live in n-le-w but moved to warrington but you have the better rugby team

9. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all - I haven't been around for a while (working away a lot) but just read this thread again..

chobart - the fish and chips in Denton's Green are still alive and well, although I'm a Sutton lad meself! Mill Lane is my local chippy.

Walnut - yep, still top of the table! Cmon you saints..! ;)

10. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389