Am I composting wrong?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by GaGa73, Jun 26, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,199
    Makes no difference here whether on soil/turf or on a harder base like gravel/slabs or a combo, which is what mine are on. It stays wet because that's just the way it is, and soaks up moisture from the surrounding areas, regardless of how much cardboard and brown material is added. Inners of loo rolls, boxes torn apart, any paper are all added. The green material is often damp when added, so there's not much I can do about that.
    I add a mix of everything, with plenty of card/paper, and no food waste that's meat based, as already said, and for those reasons. Similar to @Pete8 with tea [bags though] and all lawn clippings, and no weed roots.
    A home bin is never hot enough to break meat/bones down, and you risk attracting vermin. The card breaks down more quickly than anything. Slugs again!
    I have 3 bins [plastic now as the wooden ones don't last] - two are together, also west-ish facing, tucked into the corner of two house walls, with a purpose built enclosure so that they don't look too hideous, as that's the front of the house. The other one is in the back garden as a day to day bin.
    I hand chop quite a lot of spent stems [don't have a shredder] to help speed up breakdown. I'd like to turn them more often, but other things get in the way, so it doesn't always happen.
    Mine takes quite a long time, but they say cold compost is far better anyway. ;)
    It looks similar to @Pete8 's, but wetter. I'd never need to wet mine in summer!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,021
      Or maybe we're both doing it wrong :biggrin:

• DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,444
      We are very similar to @fairygirl , but only went to black plastic bins this year (suitable holes drilled for air). Only other difference is ours stand on left over wood decking, which I know will collapse in time, but has been there over 3 years and is easy to replace. It gets a dollop of horse manure at the start of the year. Not too sure how we will turn it this year, may resort to a 3rd bin. Surely it also depends on the type of waste e.g. we have a small amount of coffee grinds, quite a bit melon skin (chopped), these are quite wet. We did have a dilemma over seeds (especially melon) but decided they were fine as at worst we had to pull out a few seedling - we were neve going to get melons here!

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,870
      I compost as others have said, same contents, my plastic bins are on the soil.
      If the compost is too dry add water, if its too wet add paper/cardboard.
      I get lots of Red worms.
      I never turn the compost, well perhaps give it a poke and get lovely dark
      compost each year.

• Like Like x 1
      • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,444
        I forgot to add, those little red worms are clever, holes in the bin are quite small, but there were lots at the top of the bin within days.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,148
        If there a lot of brandlings who have climbed out on to a lid, then its probably too wet. Its a good idea to have a litter layer to give them shelter/gather them up for relocation, such as a newspaper.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,287
          Just to add a few thoughts, as said its worth dividing your large bin into two, as a smaller deeper heap will warm up quicker, and you can then Turn it over into the other bin.

Lining the rear and side walls with polythene will help preserve your timber.
          Making the fronts using planks that can be slotted or as hinged doors so you can easily dig out the compost, digging out from that big bin will be a back breaker !
          Make the fronts with gaps of about 10mm between each plank to let air circulate, but keep out rats etc.

Find the right worms will come into the bin if its on a soil base, but as your is not, add a layer of garden soil over the compost which should introduced them, plus lots of other compostng critters,

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,199
          Good spot @ricky101 re the front! Definitely make the front into sections that can be removed easily. When divided, it would be very hard work getting the compost out, but tricky even with the bigger space.
          Lining's always helpful for timber, although it doesn't stop it deteriorating from the outside in poorer weather. I always had timber bins, but it was always difficult getting a site that offered some protection from bad weather, and I didn't want them in the sunniest bits of the garden either, as it meant fewer areas for summer planting. It's fine if you have a big enough plot and have various areas that will suit.
          That's why I switched to plastic bins. Solves one of the problems!

• Like Like x 1
          • Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
            +303
            I too have switched to plastic bins and used to line my wooden ones with old plastic sacks.
            I just dump weeds, kitchen waste and paper in one of my 2 bins and turn one into the other when it gets full, but they do sink down. When I do this I take the bottom layer which has broken down to a large extent and fill tubs which I top up with soil and grow veg in them or use it as a mulch. You get a lot of weeds coming up which I weed or hoe off. Later the pots can be emptied onto the greenhouse beds or pots for more delicate things. I get lots of worms coming in and big green slugs which only live on decaying matter. This method I have developed because I don't have room for a shredder or another bin to make the hot compost. It's not ideal but works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1