AMATEUR GARDENING ARTICLE ON WEEDKILLER

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Oct 15, 2016.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Just as a coincidence I made a mug of tea at around 9pm last night and it was the first time for at least a year that the taste of Chloride and Fluroide was pronounced. I think the cleaner at the local water treatment plant had added his bucket or two instead of putting them down the drain.
    [​IMG]

They do say that Fluoride cannot be tasted or smelt in tap water.........I beg to differ:dunno::snorky:

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,125
    My tapwaters been changed again, tasting worse than before leaving a dry taste in the mouth. A neighbour had it tested a few years ago and its contents were terrifying. Still drink it so I guess I'm screwed.:what:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Today, I have been mostly drinking spring water and booze :Wino:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Not if you put it in a glass of Whiskey, Wee Tam!!:yes::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,571
          As an update. The ECHA have just produced a press release on this topic. Headline is Glyphosate not classified as a carcinogen by ECHA. Link below:
          Request Rejected

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            My input on this...

From what I have read, glyphosate has not yet been conclusively proven to have any ill effects on people. So, on that point I can understand the ECHA. But...

I'm going off memory here, so apologies if I get some details incorrect. A few years ago, a study was carried out in Argentina by a man called Carlos Manessi. Over simpflied, he noted the following things.

1) Between the year 2000 and 2009, cancer cases quadrupled in one particular province. This was inline with an increase of glyphosate use in the province.

2) Tests on animals showed that breathing difficulties as well as deformities in their offspring became noticeably more prevalent.

The breathing difficulties were in a way proven by a little girl also. When the farmers or whoever used the substance close to the house she lived in, she had the utmost difficulty in breathing. This lead to a ban on using the substance within 800metres(?) of her home. After it was enforced, her breathing problems subsided.

My personal opinion is that even if nothing has been conclusively proven, use should either be reduced to an absolute minimum, or banned altogether. If only on the basis "better safe than sorry."

There is one big problem though. As it is the worlds most common weedkiller (for lack of a better expression) banning it would cause major problems in smaller crops. Not to mention that some wealthy people would not earn as much...

Moving over to the comments regarding water. As some of you may remember, along with many others in the village, I had to dig up part of my garden to install mains water supplies last year. Remember that this water came from new pipes, not one laid many years ago. Local farmers that have livestock, especially pigs and horses, cannot use it on their animals, as it has been making them sick. All, without exception, have now returned to watering them with the water from their own private wells. Food for thought, maybe?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            That, unfortunately, Sandy has been said many times about many chemical eradication solutions to organic material. I, like you, suspect that any chemical poison that kills plants of any sort stands a real chance of being poisonous to Humans and through many means is infiltrated into the food chain.

I agree, but the huge Agricultural Chemical Companies have great power in political circles spending many millions of pounds to ensure that any safety challenges to their chemicals are suppressed and silenced. It took decades to stop the use of DDT and even then the African countries still used it, and it is still in use even now. And now we have the controversial neonicotinoids being accused of killing our greatest pollinator, the Bee.:coffee:

• Like Like x 2