An Algarve Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    A few new things have bloomed within the last week adding a bit of interest in bare places.

The Leonotis Leonuris (Lion's Tail) seems to have bloomed quite suddenly, looking nice next to the Cercis siliquastrum (Judas Tree) which is now looking splendid with its leaves and pods ...

[​IMG]

The Sollya heterophylla (Bluebell Creeper) which really doesn't have the impact I thought it would ...

[​IMG]

Hibbertia scandens (Snake Vine or Guinea Gold Vine) ...

[​IMG]

Loncera ciliosa (orange Honeysuckle) opening its first clusters ...

[​IMG]

Drosanthemum floribundum (the Dew Flower) positively glistens in sunshine mingling with Verbena ...

[​IMG]

Fucshias in a pot ...

[​IMG]

Gum Drop Begonias ...

[​IMG]

Both of the above live in the shade of a Jacaranda and only get evening sun.

And a pretty array outside the back door ... left to right ... the last of the Jasmine polyanthum (pink Jasmine), Thunbergia alata (Black-eyed Susan), Thunbergia grandiflora (Blue Trumpet Vine or Sky Flower) and my still unidentified tiny rose.

[​IMG]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Lovely pics L of L. You really add a tropical flavour to the forum - being in such a different environment. I was just looking at a Sollya today in a garden centre, Its a plant I didn't know - but, as you say, it was a bit low key. Last year, in error, I bought two packets of Leonotis seed - but couldn't get either to germinate. Is there a secret?

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Another pretty and colourful show LofL. The Lion's Tail is interesting and the Snake Vine with it's sunny yellow flowers and glossy green leaves is cheerful.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    I have some small plants of leonotis Peter, I think the secret is the seed needs light to germinate, not 100% sure, but I had trouble last year but the same seed germinated this year on the surface, no problem.
    In the past its always flowered very late for me, October, when its not really the best of weather, I guess the trick is to overwinter it as LOL has done, but its not very hardy I find.

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Thank you PeterS. Yes, the secret is buy a plant! :D :D I have to be honest and say I'm not having much luck with your seeds ... I just don't think I'm a seed person and besides that like "instant garden"! :rolleyes;

If you cut them back, they re-bloom, wonderful plants.

I'll send you some seed if you like or better still a rooting ... they shoot up everywhere! I thought I had your address but it's not in my GC book so PM me if you want a root and one can quickly wing it's way to you.

PS Sis, that's a newish Black-eyes Susan, the yellow constant flowering one got straggly so I cut it back and it's gone into the "holding pen" under the Jac and Oleander by the lane to recoup and this one is the orange one, the other being the bright yellow.

Thanks, Sis, you can take some Leo (as I call it) back with you when next you visit. The Snake Vine is lovely and prefers the shade here, most strange for an Aussie plant!

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Now why is it that I am "talking" but it says on my screen that it's pete saying what I am saying???? Sorry, pete, if you see the same .... :eek:

I'm having terrible problems with GC tonight due to the unstable weather over Portugal and we keep losing the line ... as we did with the TV watching the Chelsea Flower Show.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    LofL, thats a very kind offer re Leonotis. I would love either some seed or preferably a seedling - I will send you a PM. I would have bought one last year - but I just haven't seen it for sale. I understood that it was not hardy - but I now have a heated summerhouse in which I overwintered a mass of plants this year. The thermostat was set at zero, and the inside temperature didn't go below that. Best thing of all was that it consumed 9 kwh all winter - cost just �£1.

I love growing plants from seed - I get a great kick out of that, which I don't get from buying a plant. But every year there are just a few seeds that won't germinate. Even this year some have not germinated yet, and there were a couple of trays from which I just got one seedling, - but then thats all you need.

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Evening PeterS. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

I have found very limited information on the plant but what I have says if it gets frost damage then cut it back to new growth in the Spring. Obviously it would like your sunniest position. [​IMG]

I guess maybe I'd like doing things from seed more if I didn't have the dry heat. I know it is rewarding to do things from seed ... but it a;sp is to me to go out and buy a huge plant for a fiver (about Ã?£3.25 your money) and plant it and admire it immediately! :rolleyes: Then I "baby" it. [​IMG]

pete, if you want a rooting, let me know, okay?

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Many thanks LofL. I have just sent you a PM to find that in the meatime you have posted here. This has happened a few times to me. You compose a reply to someones post, but in the meantime someone else posts, and then your own post can look so rude either ignoring or repeating the intermediate post. I can only apologise to anyone that I have done that too!

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Know what you mean, PeterS ... no problems as far as I'm concerned and I've replied to you in e-mail!

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    I've got some plants on the go. thanks LOL

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    As it's a rainy day here ... hurray! ... I went out taking some pics, as one does, and everything looks so fresh after the rain ....

Very strange but the Poinsettia is starting to "bloom" already ...

[​IMG]

Abutilon hybridum ...

[​IMG]

A lovely new bloom emerging on the Canna ...

[​IMG]

Lantana camara and Sunseeker rose battered by the rains last night ...

[​IMG]

An Oranges and Lemons bud backed by Cobaea ...

[​IMG]

The Cobaea has bloom non-stop since last Spring ...

[​IMG]

Leonotis Leonuris (Lion's Tail) with an Oleander peeking at the top in my Orange and Pink corner ...

[​IMG]

And what better to end with than Bougainvillea ...

[​IMG]

13. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Great pictures LOL, [​IMG] we all love the sunshine and we all secretly enjoy the rain now and then. I find the sunshine brings out the really vivid colours whereas the rain and cloud draws the pastels and darker colours it also makes for some really fresh pictures.

Love the bouganvillea. It is by far my favourite mediterranean plant.

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    I usually do a wander around my garden each month and share my colour with you. This month however has a twist to it ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully my next offering of pictures will be a little more colourful.

15. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Uhhhh? - well, it is very different, but I don't think many of us will be copying you Sis.