An Algarve Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    You'd never think that you have a builders yard in your garden Sis looking at all these lovely pics. The first one is especially pretty with the house in the background, flowers in the front and the Jacaranda and the pyramid tree (have forgotten the name) framing it, like a postcard. The podranea is blooming nicely.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    I've only got three of my seven Bougainvilleas blooming ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Nerium Oleander is quite headily scented in the heat ...

[​IMG]

Although a sun-loving plant, the Penta is doing better with some shade in the morning ...

[​IMG]

The first of the Agapanthus to open ...

[​IMG]

... to be continued ...

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    ... continued ...

Ipomonea trying to hide an ugly lamp post that unfortunately lives on our property ...

[​IMG]

The new grass border done in November which includes Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron', Deschampsia cespitosa, Frosted Sedge Grass, Golden Sedge 'Evergold', Festuca glauca, along with Ajuga reptans and Ajuga 'Burgundy Glow' and Heuchera 'Palace Purple' and Chlorophytum in the pots on pedestals ...

[​IMG]

Mini Aloe ???? ...

[​IMG]

The Cane Begonia blooming in the background ...

[​IMG]

... and some dining patio plants ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Everything is looking lovely Sis. The vine on the lamp post is doing well, won't be so long now and it will completely hide the post. I have the same mini aloes, haven't bloomed this year yet, and only produce one or two blooms at the most. Where does the Cane Begonia plan on going??? The new patio looks good too, what I can see of it. You must post some more pics, thanks!

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Thanks Sis and thank you for planting the Morning Glory in my absence to hide the ugly edifice! [​IMG]

We've had a discussion about which variety these mini Aloes are and I'm not sure we decided (we being me and pete). Babe, how is yours doing?

I cut the Cane Begonia all the way back this winter ... it will just have to go "fora" the pergola. There's pics of the patio up on TwoLoos but I'll take some, maybe Sunday.

Babe ... you worried me there for a moment as I thought you were talking about a clothes line! :eek: I thought it was a fan palm. It got put up on the wall when the works were going on and was unfortunately neglected (no water in a pot) so I had to take six lower frondlets off! :(

Isn't Boris (the borracha, a rubber plant here) doing well? That's my new little Yucca further along.

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Goodness, when I read that I scrolled back to look for the washing line that I missed on the first look! TG there was none Sis!

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Well, I don't know, Sis, that telephone line in the orchard looks pretty much like one ... :eek: I'm sure Babe wasn't referring to that and rather to the palm, perhaps a Washingtonia. [​IMG]

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Looking good again LOL, Its strange that you have bougies in flower (and my new ones really struggling at the moment although looking well not many flowers yet open) but I have agapanthus at a very similar stage as you and also that small aloe has finished flowering in my garden.
    That pink oleander looks very much like the one I have that wont flower outside.

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Thank you, pete. You do know that Bougies don't do well for the first several years of their planted life, I'm sure, hence me not having four blooming now as they have only been planted two years.

Can you remember which Aloe we thought it was without looking back?

My Agapanthus seems darker coloured this year but I must admit I only have two stalks at the moment but they are monsterously tall ... taller than me! [​IMG]

Shame you can't get the Oleander to flower ... the scent is exquisite in the sun ... very delicate.

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    I think it was aloe humilis.
    I can get the ollie to flower but only in the greenhouse, even the two which I bought this year that were bred for northern conditions are not doing well with our C R A P summer.
    [​IMG]
    Yep it smells of almonds, I think.

My new bougie is a named variety that appears similar in growth habit to some of yours. Its not really a climber like the other one I have and the leaves are a really dark green and shiney, its called "alexandra".

12. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - your garden is looking beautiful and so lovely to see sunshine - lucky girl - we have some today!!

In the last pic - the fern in the middle - would it survive outside all year? I have one which goes out in the summer and comes back in again in the winter but I'm rubbish at keeping house plants and it always suffers inside.

We can go down to minus 15 here sometimes but generally it gets down to about minus 10 on really bad days.

And, of course, I don't know the name of the plant............... nothing new there then!!

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    your garden looks fab LoL, just a thought what about that vine you sent me put that around the post also, [​IMG]

14. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Love the begonia - well amongst all the rest which is lovely too.

I am still looking for begonia luxurians. I have some B. evansii which Strongy sent me, I think they are a very underated plant.

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    pete, your Oleander looks just like mine. I'm not sure I'd say almonds! [​IMG] As we were driving through Spain today, the central medium is lined with Oleanders bumper to bumper and the smell was heavenly in the 37 degree heat.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the Bougies "named" here ... I have purple, deep fuchsia, light fuchsia, deep pink, orange and a white with flushes of pink and green. Some flower in the winter here and not summer.

Hi, krissy, thank you for your lovely comments. There is no fern in the last picture, in fact I don't own a fern at all. In the last picture, left to right in pots, there's a Yucca, a Rubber Plant and a palm (which BM says is a Washingtonia and I would like him to confirm). All stay outside here but we have little frost, light and only for a couple of days. We only went down to 5 this winter as it was very mild, other years we go down to about zero for the few days.

rosa, the Morning Glory will soon take over like the Cup and Saucer Vine ... I don't really want to machete my way out of the garden. :D Be warned!

I could also send you a cutting of the Cane Begonia, Waco. It's mother, which my friend in England now has as we couldn't transport it, is 22 years old and reached 12 foot tall at it's peak before we had to cut it to put it in my friend's house (I had taken it to where I worked and it was in the atrium reception area). I cut this one back to a couple of feet every year.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. [​IMG]