An Algarve Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Jun 29, 2006.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Fot what its worth LOL,
    I think the palm in your lasts pic is a washingtonia fillifera as well.

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes please LoL would like to take you up on the offer, do you want to do a swap for one os srtongys Evansii ? or perhaps a fern - um but probably mine are not suited to your climate.

My cobeas are MASSIVE! Martin is worried about the weight on the greenhouse roof but I think he is making a fuss about nothing.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Thank you for that, pete, have made a note. It was just sold to me as a fan palm for 5 Euros. I must tidy up the trunk a bit as I cut it hit and miss. :eek:

Okay, diminutive one, have made a note of that also. I'll have to look up strongy's Evansii as I can't remember what it is ... sorry, strongy! (Don't put any links up Waco :D )

I'm pleased to hear your Cobeaes are MASSIVE ... as I said, mine are more than 30 feet long and branching everywhere and have just about taken down the cane roof on the pergola now. It will definitely be cut back to nada in the Autumn when a new roof will have to be installed. Will write you tomorrow ... [​IMG]

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    don't know what you mean about my li-kinks LoL, Martin has never been the same since!!!

I don't mind cobeas being massive as long as they flower. at the moment they are growing through every available shrub in my garden, so could end up being a real.....................problem!

5. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops - sorry LOL - told you I was rubbish with names [​IMG] I'll look up the name suggested and see what temperature it can tolerate.

I've had to give up with the Morning Glory. So many huge leaves which I was constantly cutting off to see the flowers and this morning I've looked out and seen the whole trellis has fallen overnight under the weight. [​IMG]

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    As requested, here are some pics of the newly laid patio (by the builders, I hasten to add). Now we just need to paint the wall and I need to have a re-work on the wall mural (but not in this heat). The wall the mural is on is the shed.

The patio (which we call the Baffio) is off the outdoor living room (which we call the Baffa) ... the latter is a true Guinea, West African name for an outdoor entertaining area, the former we made up! The Baffio is 4 meters by 4 meters and we have a 3.5 meter umbrella which shades most of it in the heat of the day. The Baffa is 20 square meters and supports the 30 square meter deck on top of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paving itself is 40cm x 60cm concrete gravel slabs which weight 30 kilos each.

[​IMG]

Whilst excavating the ground for the concrete base, the builders discovered old blue engineering bricks. These have been used to re-build the little wall the concrete planter sits on and to line the garden side of the slabs. Apparently the bricks will come up blue when the red clay is pressure washed off them.

[​IMG]

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    That looks excellent babe, I thought it was gravel from the first couple of pics, then I read it properly :D

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Thanks, Babe, we are really pleased with it and it is being well utilised!

It is gravel up to the arch as your approach it from the garden and path. Blends nicely, huh? [​IMG]

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    that looks great, fab pics cant wait to get my farmhouse or finca in 2 years time

10. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    looks wonderful LOL
    im green with envy,and all that sunshine as well :cool:

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Thank you rosa and Kathy3.

The garden sort of maintains itself now with just a little help from me now and then.

The sun is one of the reasons we are here, Kathy3. I suffered with SAD syndrone in the UK (Bucks and IoW) ... don't think I'd have coped too well the way this summer has been going there! :eek:

12. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I'll say it again Sis, it has turned out really well and looks super.

I'm lucky in that I don't mind rain and bad weather in general, just as long as it doesn't go on for weeks on end. I couldn't take all that sun and heat, it's too much of a good thing!

13. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    love it the perfect Paradise

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Thank you Sis and high kype.

Just a wander this morning in early August before the sun gets high ... everything is recouperating from it's cement dust coverings and being somewhat neglected.

For their first time blooming after being in the ground for years, the Vallotas (Scarborough Lily) are giving a wonderful show ...

[​IMG]

The Cannas suffered a bit but are rallying around (Bush Bougainvillea behind the peach one) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lantana camara had got lost on the one side and massacred on the other of the hedge but is showing signs of recovery ...

[​IMG]

The Oleander, Leonotis Leonuris and Cercis (now with it's pods) thrived behind the cement mixer being on irrigation ...

[​IMG]

And the mother Oleander never fails to give a good show and smells soooooo good in the heat ... a light talcum powdery scent ...

[​IMG]

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    I've been playing around with my new toys ... lenses for my old camera, so rather than clutter up the September thread, I'll put them here along with the September ones. I'll start with my two favourites ...

The Brugmansia Sauveolens is coming into it's second flush now with about two dozen buds, these are the first to open ...

[​IMG]

Canna, one of five varieties I have now ...

[​IMG]

The Bougainvillea never fail to please, the first is a climber, the second is a bush ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Begonia argenteo-guttata (Cane Trout Begonia which can reach a height of 10 feet or more) has been blooming for months now ...

[​IMG]

Lantana and Lantana berries ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Convolvulus tricolor/minor (Common Morning Glory).....

[​IMG]

... to be continued ...