An Algarve Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    I was off and away to one of the garden centres today, strongy, and there was one similar to your brother's but I resisted ... six climbers plus the bush is enough ... me-thinks. [​IMG] There were some wonderful colours. A metre high one costs 3 Euros then there's the 5 and 10 Euro ones. Even so, they still take a few years to settle in and "bloom" again after planting.

Amongst other things :rolleyes: I did buy an Iochroma, a beautiful purple one which I'll photograph over the weekend ... now the dilemna is where does it go ????????

If you want a cutting of my orange one, no doubt you'll let me know. [​IMG] Actually, now that I look at the photo, this doesn't really have a flower, does it?

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Still trying to root a cutting of my purple iochroma LoL no luck so far the ioch. austalis did set a few seeds I am seeing if they germinate.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Walnut, I read a few years back an article in the plantsman about rooting cuttings of acnistus or iochroma. It said that you should use woody cuttings as opposed to softwood cuttings.
    Myself, I have never managed it, but I find they self seed quite well.

4. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    LoL,

Lovely pic's :D must take a lot of your time looking after all those beautiful plants, shrubs and tree's, well done :D

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    Thank you, Funny Face. [​IMG] One of the loves of my life is my garden. It's been ten years of very hard work (blood, sweat and tears I've always said) if you look at my Casadinho site, which desperately needs updating so must speak to t'other half.

I'll get a little bit of Portugal in your garden before too long ... [​IMG]

6. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    LoL,

Luv me new nick name [​IMG] look forward to a bit of Portugal in the garden, i google a lot for hardy 'exotic's' so i might just manage it some day [​IMG]

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Pete will try some hardwood cuttings when I cut back this autumn they are about to have another flush of flowers hope they manage before the frosts.

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    Here's my Iochroma ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T'other half had to use his SDS (?) drill to get through the rock to plant it in the ground.

My question is ... is it just me, or does anyone else have the yellowing leaf problem with these plants ... the pink Brug, the Cestrum and now this albeit just bought? The first two were given a dose of iron a couple of weeks ago but nothing seems to have changed. Both are otherwise healthy, the Cestrum constantly in bloom and the Brug about to do a third flush.

Any advice always gratefully accepted, thank you. [​IMG]

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    LoL Iochromas and Brugs are greedy feeders the yellowing of leaves is common on these plants but the rate of leaf growth makes up for it your problem is probably worse because of the poor ground/rock they are in. Nice cyaneum you will have to keep it pruned they tend to take off.

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    Thank you walnut, will feed them today. I did look this cyaneum up and read they were fast growers. T'other half dug a very big hole for this and we don't mind if it gets large as it is directly across from our bedroom window. The other two are in pots if you remember so no rock problem.

Sorry I didn't wait for a rooting but I am sometimes impatient and this was the first time I had seen these here and for Ã?£3.50 which sounded a reasonable price. [​IMG]

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You got a good deal LoL i'm a bit like that myself,I still carry on trying don't like being beat I will try the hardwood cuttings as Pete sugested.

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    I have this "instant" garden streak in me which is why I'm probably not very successful with seeds. Also, as we have red clay earth, I do add tons of substrata (fertilised compost) and larger plants settle in better than seedlings. I'm sure you'll succeed with the cuttings eventually, walnut. [​IMG]

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,164
    I have been experimenting with Photobucket this morning ...

[​IMG]

14. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Showoff ! nice slide show :D

15. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well done LoL.It is tip-top as usual. [​IMG] [​IMG]