An Algarve Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Thank you, Marge. Any time you're in the area we'd love to see you! [​IMG]

2. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    We brought this pair of antique concrete pots back with us from the IoW. We had them sitting on either side of our verandah but as we owned them personally decided they were not part of the sale of the flat.

T'other half has temporarily put our pedestal pots inside them until we decide what should go there permanently.

I think they go beautifully with the sand-coloured tiled terrace immediately in front of the doors (double as it's an old farm cottage) ... this was a pleasant surprise!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    very nice LoL they certainly look lovely standing were you have got them, very unusual. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The planters are lovely they would make nice containers for herbs.. :D the garden is nice it seems strange to see gardens in bloom mine is now like a bog as its rained for weeks.. :(

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Thank you rosa and wildflower. We have decided to put trees in them. We have two avocados done from pips, one two years old the other just one, but you have to have more than one to fruit.l

We have just started our rainy season, hurray! Tipping it down most of the time. However, this is when we get a lot of colour as a lot of things have a rest in the heat of the summer. Freesias are coming up nicely and Osteos bushing out, you can just see a bit of it on the right of the second photo.

On the herb front, I did get a curry plant in a 6-plant pack from B&Q when I was there. I think you had mentioned me having one some time ago, wildflower.

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    yes trees in them good idea they will look lovely

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    what do you think of this then LoL :D :D

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    That's great, rosa! Hope he eats that fish soon to put it out of its misery though! :D :D :D [​IMG]

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I do like it come into your section to see what its like :D :D

10. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Still looking gorgeous LofL! I love the containers - I bet theyre heavy!

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Thanks, marge ... a ton each at least! :D

They're 68cm across and 42cm deep - got them for �£100 the pair, one with a ballerina apple tree already in it ... it came here last year.

Fortunately a friend from London came down for the day (and night( to see if we needed help so t'other half had him hoik the things with him into the van. They sat right behind the seats centrally for balance.

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    The end of October fast approaches and the rains are due again so I was out with the camera today and this is the garden now ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    wonderful Lol. Here the trees are finally changing colour. But its still warm - I ain't seen a bit of frost yeeeetttt

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hi Fran. We live at the foot of the Monchique hills here and the colour change is fantastic. Will try to get out this coming week when K-G and b-in-l come back with our car and take some piccies.

If we see any frost,,, it will be January/February. Second/fourth pic is our "frost line" where we park the car within the garden (also having parking outside the gates) but we only get the frost for a few days on the top of the car and it's gone by 10-ish as our highs even in the coldest months are around 15oC.

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    November is tidy-up time for me, or "winterising" the garden as I call it.

The pathway from the kitchen patio has had a rework on the border to the right. I had all Geranumiums in there but needed a change ...

[​IMG]

... the Skwijery corner has had the pink Margarita shrub removed and the huge scented Geranium and have planted the new Callistemon Flaming Fire and will aimlessly throw mixed California Poppies, mixed Oriental Poppies and Waco's "Orange Poppy Thingy" in the bed. I have started some Carnations (Chaubaud Striato which is candy striped, and Chaubaud Giallo whch is a yellow) to go to the right of the Oleander. The bare almond tree in the background will soon be budding.

[​IMG]

... I left this Portulaca in the Skwijery ...

[​IMG]

... the Christmas Cassia and Bougie Bush compliment each other in the sand garden ...

[​IMG]

... and our muddy lane after the rains ...

[​IMG]