An expensive coat of paint!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Pro Gard, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I absolutely love the colour range of F&B but since it costs a fortune I always end up buying good plain emulsion and mixing in the pigments myself.

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) Agree Ivory,I just love their colour range too..............Some of the names to are special :wink:
    Elephants Breath
    Cat's Paw
    London Clay
    Dead Salmon
    Savage Ground
    Gervase Yellow
    Cooking Apple Green
    Ar*enic
    Down Pipe
    Mouses Back
    etc. etc..................You couldn't make them up,the names lol.

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    "Some of the names to are special "

Oh yes yes yes!
    Forgot to mention that, I always love imaginific (?) names of colours, I can go into poetic exstasy just reading through my Derwent pencils, lol.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Its not what you put on top, its what you put underneath.

You could use the most expensive paint in the world, but if the primer and undercoats are not up to it, it wont last.

Cant get decent primer these days, mostly water based rubbish, must be green, musn't we.:p:D

We have a lot of clients wanting those colours where I work Roders, we tend to call them black, brown red etc.
    I mean, just exactly what colour is "Elephants Breath":D

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Pete, good primer went when they banned lead.... and the pink primer of old disapeared.

Its noticable when I burn off old paint (Probably not suposed too due to aforementioned lead!!!) that the pink primer often remains yet with more newer paint the whole lot comes off

Must admit i do use a water based primer, usually zinsser bulls eye the drying the time is a god send and it sticks like the proverbial, followed up by a coat or two of solvent undercoat and gloss imo it combines to gives a fantastic lasting finish.

6. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    All the big paint manufacturers produce colours with abstract or fanciful names e.g. Pacific Breeze (Dulux) or Sidewalk (Crown). It's all about convincing you their colours are different or have desirable associations.

Many of F&B's colours have historical references e.g. Calke Green or Hardwick White, but Elephant's Breath is very fanciful, I grant you. But you're never going to forget it , are you? And here we are, talking about it on a gardening forum! That's clever marketing.