Android Mobile Phone Security

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ricky101, Jan 10, 2023.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    We have two landlines (one for me and one for the Mrs), one has the broadband package with it and the other has our alarm system working through it. Both phones have at least 200 calls per month on them. Internet here is poor and mobile service is worse. Electricity goes down regularly but, fortunately, most of the time it is for a very short time. Last year we had 37 powercuts but 22 of them were micro cuts. :dunno:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,982
      I think you need to ask around how certain suppliers signal is in your area before getting a mobile.

I was on Vodafone for years but the signal here was rubbish, im now using virgin which I think uses O2 network, whatever, it works much better .

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,769
        I'm skeptical about that. Recently there was a sufficiently large spate of thefts and fraud that it made the news.

I won't have a banking app on my phone, and although I do have some payment methods set up, they are low value vouchers, not linked to my bank account in any way.

The issue is not Android, it's a Combi of the human element and the bank's software that worries me.

The human element - someone could steal my phone far more easily than they could steal my details that I put in a normal browser, and they'd also have to steal my bank card and my card reader. Whereas apps are designed for convenience. The security on the app might be good, but that doesn't help if someone steals my phone, removes the SIM card, puts it into an unlocked phone, and manages to log into my banking app.

The software element - when I use the online banking app, I have to identify myself to the website first (and it's Https so all traffic is encrypted). Then I have to insert my physical bank card into a physical card reader, and enter my PIN into the card reader. This will then generate a unique key that I then have to type into the browser. If someone was to acquire all these details it wouldn't help them because the card reader generates a single use time limited key, so once I'm in with it, nobody else can get in.

I think banks push you to their apps because it's cheaper for them to maintain a single platform, and do away with giving out free card readers. Most people go for convenience over security so with the rise in popularity of the apps, the banks have to maintain two secure software systems. If they can phase out the use of the online option, they can eventually decommission it, and save themselves a good chunk of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,982
          I agree people will often use the easiest option but mostly because any thing you want to do online is so complicated.
          Ridiculous passwords that need to be more complicated all the time.
          And now most of the time you have to get a code sent to your phone to gain access.

I just get fed up with it all.

• Like Like x 1
          • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
            +2,769
            It was much easier when we had to go to the bank, when it was open, which was usually when you're at work, and queue up to ask a person to give you some of your money so you could then take it elsewhere, for example to the electric board, to queue up to pay your leccy bill.:biggrin:

I agree though. It's all a chore. I especially agree on the point about passwords. They've surely served their time by now. There are better ways to verify identity.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,291
              @Clueless 1 v2 again thanks for that.

Agree its quiet likely the banks are pushing the App for cost reasons, but we still only use the PC for banking, primarily for safety, plus we find the phones small screen and keypad hard to use when on the go and like you say just too easy to loose your phone and its info if you do banking on them.

Did look at using GooglePay but again, not being as adept on a mobile phone, using a contactless card much easier and if it was stolen not such a problem as its credit limit is low for that very reason.

Its a long way from copper coins and buttons A and B !

• Like Like x 2
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +91,982
                I find the banking app so convenient just a 5 digit code to get in and you can do all kinds of things, must admit it took me a lot of persuading to down load it, but I wouldn't want to be without it now.
                I treat my phone in a similar way to how I treat my wallet, and never have it on show or carry it where someone could lift it.

I'm getting to the point where it gets used for more of this kind of stuff than for talking to people and I never thoght that would happen to me.

I need to sort out the car parking app next.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                  +2,769
                  You're right. It's getting to the point where the term mobile phone just means pocket computer. It's a full blown computer, GPS, camera, and payment system. Oh and apparently you can even use them for actual voice calls, so I've heard.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 2
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +48,926
                    Can you do that? I thought all broadband packages needed you to pay for a landline wether you used it or not. If you can avoid the landline cost I'll do it too.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +91,982
                      Well not tried it, but I'm told you can just have broadband now without a phone line.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,782
                        I had mobile broadband and landline broadband. My stepdaughter used the mobile until the contract was up. I took it out at my previous address which had neither a landline or fibre.

• Informative Informative x 3
                        • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                          +2,769
                          We're on Virgin fibre broadband now, and don't have a landline.

Previously we were on Plusnet over the old phone wire. We were initially required to pay for the landline separately but after a while they let us go without it.

I guess it depends on the provider and the specifics of the contract.

It is worth pricing both options (with and without a calling package) because Martin Lewis recently pointed out that sometimes it's actually cheaper to opt for a call package with your broadband even if you don't need it.

• Informative Informative x 3
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +4,291
                            Think you will find all the modern Fibre to the House installations like ours automatically come with routers that allow you to connect your phone to them, and some will allow you to transfer your old number over as well.
                            You can opt for their call packages if you want, but we just leave it unconnected and use the mobile.

Think plans that are Boradband only no landline, are for installation across the old BT network.

All Broadband is going this way as the BT copper cable system is being removed, the catch is, should the power fail, as well as the broadband your phone will also be inoperative.
                            If you do not have a mobile or use those remote emergency call systems it might pose a problem.